Author Topic: Nola Viper Refence 3  (Read 4485 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Nola Viper Refence 3
« on: September 20, 2014, 08:37:06 PM »
Got a chance to buy a pair of Nola viper Refernce 3 with a pair of Blue Thunder subs and stands (IP-1 Isolation Platforms) for out-board xovers for $10k.

What do you guys think?  
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:40:44 PM by Werd »
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Pr้cis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Nola Viper Refence 3
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 08:54:18 AM »
Got a chance to buy a pair of Nola viper Refernce 3 with a pair of Blue Thunder subs and stands (IP-1 Isolation Platforms) for out-board xovers for $10k.

What do you guys think?  

I have a pair of Nola Boxers tha I really like, but I have not heard any of their upper line speakers first hand. But the Vipers sure got a lot of good reviews.

Just one thing when I look at the Nola web site they show the Blue Thunders as speaker wires, not subs. Is what is listed as part of this deal a blue thunder  sub from another manufacturer?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 10:27:53 AM »
At one time I was going to get the vipers but they were an older version. I never listened to them but I love OB speakers so I think it's great. PLease fill us in on details of the speakers after you have had a chance to listen to them. Enjoy!
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Werd

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 01:40:04 PM »
I have seen them and listened to them. They are nice for sure. They look new too. The subs are active. He called them Blue Thunder. He claims Harry Pearson used an array of them. Same ones, i shouldve have taken a pic.

They are not the website so i wonder how old they are?
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Pr้cis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 05:17:58 PM »
Did some futher looking and Nola did make a sub called the Thunderbolt. I am sure that is what it is. I can understad how the two names could be easily switch in somebodies mind, especially since they are both Nola products. From what I can see online the T Bolt III retailed for $1,900 each.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:25:33 PM »
Check out this ad:

http://www.themusic.com/detail.cfm?id=450224

The Music.com has a pair of Viper Reference  for only $4800. While the title does not say Reference III the body of the description mentions that they are generation 3, so they just might be the same speakers. When looking online for the subs I found pairs of them selling with a $2500 asking price. I was not able to find a price on the IP-1, but If you can get the speakers for $4800 and the subs for $2500 that leaves you a whole lot of room before you reach the $10K mark. Of course they would all need to be shipped , which wouldn't be cheap give their size and weight, but it might be worth a phone call to find out what the deal is. (The music .com page has a phone number for further inquiries)

If nothing else these prices might give you a little negotiating leverage with the guy you are dealing with.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Werd

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:58:49 PM »
Those are them. Those would be closer to $6500 cad after shipping.
Good call though  :thumb:
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 08:09:02 PM »
Two of those subs and speaks with out board xovers. He is bringing them over this week. He is taking that Chapter amp (which I am not to happy about). But at least I got the speakers. 
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,