Author Topic: TAS - Spring Equinox G2G  (Read 23280 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: TAS - Spring Equinox G2G
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 01:12:42 PM »
Small world! I saw one of those Acurus amps yesterday! I had never heard of it before, but it was for sale in my friend's shop. I didn't see the inside.... haha

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 01:24:22 PM »
Very nice indeed!  :D

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 01:26:06 PM »
Small world! I saw one of those Acurus amps yesterday! I had never heard of it before, but it was for sale in my friend's shop. I didn't see the inside.... haha

They actually aren't bad amps. I have had a few over the years. Unless I'm mistaken, I think they were a division of Klipsch as was Aragon amps.

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »
Hi Rich,
here is a link to the bracing I put under my floor:

http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12029/LDR_6354.jpg
(I guess you need to cut n' paste this - Direct click doesn't work - A JohnR security measure I think)

2 x 12' 4x4s, with 4 adjustable support posts.

As you can see in the pic:

-Each joist/4x4 intersection is braced with two beefy "L" brackets, so the joists that don't actually ride on the 4x4s are still "attached" to it anyway.

-Each joist/subfloor intersection was caulked. This greatly reduced the ringing of the joists. Don't know if this was audible in the room, though.

-Each support column is screwed to the 4x4 to prevent tip-over in case things loosed up.

This bracing made a huge difference w/ my VR4JRs. Much tighter bass, but the funny thing was it wasn't only the bass - The improvement went all the way up.

No equipment swap/ room treatment (and I have gobs of those) could have unleashed the potential of the system the way the floor brace did. The floor feels much more solid, too, so that I have no foot-fall issues w/ my TT.

Very highly recommended, if you have the space for it.

-Mike

Offline richidoo

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2008, 01:06:57 PM »
Thanks a lot Mike! That really looks cool!  Sounds like you really thought it out to make a solid system. I sure need something, the floor sounds like a big speaker diaphragm. Are your spreakers placed directly above each of the 4x4s? Or are you just bracing the general area where the speakers are? 

I have engineered I beam joists but they still move. They are glued to the subfloor with construction adhesive, or at least should be,,,, I better look for squeeze out to make sure, but caulking with construction adhesive is a great idea to couple the actual floor to the structure trying to damp it. 

I do have a bad problem with TT skipping when I walk near it.  That would be a good bonus fix.

Looks like your supports are in your full basement. I have a crawl space, but NC clay is notoriously hard, so maybe one of those square concrete shed foundation blocks will be enough to keep the column from sinking. Thanks again. I will try to make a plan.
Rich

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2008, 02:21:22 PM »
Rich,
One speaker is over one post, and one is really close to the main central steel (iron?) I-beam that spans the basement.

The spikes on the speakers are conveniently (intentionally?) spaced almost 16" apart, so they are positioned to be centered on the floor joists below. Moving them a few inches back or forward really seems to change the solidity of the floor coupling.

I used silicone caulk - In hindsight I probably should have gone for Liquid Nails etc. But I doubt it's a big deal.

Good luck.

I can't express enough the diff this made. I had B&W CDM7-NTs before the Von Schweikert's, and never really compained about the bass with them. But the VS bass was really tubby without the bracing. With the prodigious bass output your speaks are capable of, you may benefit similarly.

Is the MC400 yours? It's on my list if I ever want to switch from my VAC PA100/100.

-Mike

Offline richidoo

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2008, 07:44:54 AM »
Yeah, the MC402 is mine alright... ;) ... wanna trade? Carlman is out of town so we have to do this quick....   :rofl:  VAC is one of my "final destination" choices. But the Mac is a very special amp in its own way. Very easy to live with, and satisfying musically.

I talked to my wife about bolstering the foundation of the house to further my hobby activities. After the  :roll: and  :duh were finished, she gave me some professional advice. In the past she has been an architect, appraiser, and is now RE sales, so she had some good perspective on the value of doing it - but don't worry, I ignored every word. 
:D 

I still have to get under there and try to see where things can go.  Another thing I have read about in pro circles is putting vibe damping under the speakers, like auralex makes with thick felt feet. Seems like it would help by absorbing the cabinet movement, but that wouldn't stop the pressure wave from hitting the floor like a bomb blast.

How did you figure out where the floor joists are under the floor so you could position the spikes on them so accurately?  Maybe stud finder? Do you just have the two beams and two posts near the speaker area, or do you have more of them spread under the whole room? I guess the vibe source location is the most important.

The Mac is Carls and the Ushers are Shanes (hometheaterdoc) and together they do make some very serious bass. It is obvious that the room is just gobbling it all up. But my own speakers Legacy Focus have great bass that can definitely be improved with "floor treatments."
Thanks Mike