Author Topic: Harman HPAV Mobile Showcase  (Read 12532 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Harman HPAV Mobile Showcase
« on: October 25, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
The Harmon High Performance Audio Video Mobile Showcase is coming both Audio Advice locations.  December 8-9 in Charlotte and 10-11 in Raleigh.

http://soundthatstirsthesoul.com/

Ever since Hantra told me about his experience with Revel Salon2 speakers I have been dying to hear them. What better way than in Harmon's own portable audition truck, with good acoustics and Levinson's finest electronics?

Elsewhere in the double wide trailer is a home theater featuring JBL speakers and Lexicon electronics.

Please post your comments about your experience.

lonewolfny42

Re: Harman HPAV Mobile Showcase
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:30:18 PM »
They had the big truck at RMAF 2009....when the power went out in the hotel...everyone was asked to step outside....so many went to their location in the hotel parking lot.

Pretty good sound in there.... 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGwyuTjFlM

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 08:24:58 AM »
That is nice.. what a great achievement.. thanks for fueling the economy, Harmon!  Also, I really like the chairs.. :) Very cool. 8)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 09:25:43 AM »
This is the kind of thing that the industry as a whole needs to be doing to educate the masses as to benefits of good sound. Unfortunately the only folks who have the money to set something like this up are large conglomerates like Harmon, most of whom are mid-fi (at best ) providers who aren't really concerned with taking sound out to the levels that we do. Luckily although Harmon deal mostly in consumer level stuff, they do have a bit of skin in the High End market with Levinson and some of the better JBL lines, so they at least are playing in the same space we live in. Unfortunately companies like them are few and far between and the small companies tat dominate the High End marketplace cannot afford to lay out that like of money for promotions.

Hats off to Harmon for trying to increase the size of the pie and not just their slice of it.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:28:07 AM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 12:08:42 PM »
Don't forget Harmon bought Madrigal and has the Revel line, with Kevin Voecks designing their speakers.  Not too shabby.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of the midfi stuff but they have the gear to show off some good sound, that is true high end with excellent design.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 12:32:19 PM »
Don't forget Harmon bought Madrigal and has the Revel line, with Kevin Voecks designing their speakers.  Not too shabby.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of the midfi stuff but they have the gear to show off some good sound, that is true high end with excellent design.

Carl, I think you are heading exactly where I was. I know a lot of people who cringed when Harmon bought up some of those High End companies fearing that it would be a repeat of what went on in the late 60s and early 70s when consumer electronics companies bought up some of the lines of what was then the higher end of the audio spectrum (I guess there was really no such thing as "High End" audio in those days) only to junk their products and use the nameplate on some pretty dreadful mid-fi stuff (remember some of the early Sony/Superscope Marantz units? Yuck)

But it seems this time the shoe is on the other foot. Harmon has continued to keep true to the high end aspirations of the companies they bought and  rather than use the high end name to sell cheaper equipment, it looks like they are using the resources of the parent company to help bolster and expand the high end market. That is a really welcome change and one that sheds a ray of hope on the long term future of our hobby.  [-o<

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 12:38:31 PM »
They weren't doing so well in the last few years. Their Snell brand paid the ultimate price. But now with Sydney Harmon finally gone to play politics the new CEO is cleaning house and propping up the audio business.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 12:49:02 PM »
They weren't doing so well in the last few years. Their Snell brand paid the ultimate price. But now with Sydney Harmon finally gone to play politics the new CEO is cleaning house and propping up the audio business.

With all of the brands out there during a shrinking market some line are bound to fall by the wayside. That is just part of the natural order of business. But what I am really feeling good about is that Harmon as a corporation is looking at the High End as a good business to be in and backing that feeling with corporate $, which signals to me that they a looking to this line of business as a long term endeavour. not a cash cow that they can pull some quick dollars out of and then kill off.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 05:24:40 AM »
Snell went from good to bad as a speaker after they became part of Boston Acoustics or whoever... The artful and inspired house sound was changed to an afterthought to make money off the name. The speakers sucked and that's why they went out of business.  They were no longer Snells, the public wasn't as stupid as the CEO thought.  CEO's tend to show their true colors in these situations.  I'm glad Harmon has someone at the helm with a clue.
-C

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 06:05:10 AM »
They tried to bring Snell back, but it was too late, then the crash. Joe D'Appolito was their head designer for a couple years at the end. Sydney Harmon killed Snell.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 08:33:59 PM »
They tried to bring Snell back, but it was too late, then the crash. Joe D'Appolito was their head designer for a couple years at the end. Sydney Harmon killed Snell.

Sydney didn't kill Snell, he just put it out of its misery. Snell was kill a long time ago when BA discarded every part of Snell but the nameplate, which it stuck on cheap crappy speakers. Sadly, an all to familiar scenario.  :(

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 04:41:19 PM »
Just returned from the truck demo. My slot was 5pm.

Both demos, the stereo Salons and JBL K2 5.1HT were an audiophile's dream. Extreme dynamic range, low distortion at high volume, extreme treble detail, bass power in spades. It reminded me of the MBL 101 speakers with strong dynamic impact at all frequencies. The bass fullness is excellent, but I like more bass resolution from larger drivers and gentler port tuning. A strong mix, these Salons with Levinson #53 class D amps. A bit too strong for my taste, but very impressive in what it can do.

Did anyone else attend?

Offline tmazz

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 10:12:08 PM »
Just returned from the truck demo. My slot was 5pm.

Both demos, the stereo Salons and JBL K2 5.1HT were an audiophile's dream. Extreme dynamic range, low distortion at high volume, extreme treble detail, bass power in spades. It reminded me of the MBL 101 speakers with strong dynamic impact at all frequencies. The bass fullness is excellent, but I like more bass resolution from larger drivers and gentler port tuning. A strong mix, these Salons with Levinson #53 class D amps. A bit too strong for my taste, but very impressive in what it can do.

Did anyone else attend?

Sounds like a great experience. I really hope the truck make it up to the NYC area some time soon.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 09:21:14 AM »
I just put in a request on their website asking when they would be up NYC way. If enought of us do the same maybe we'll see that truck someday soon. I really want to hear those Salon's.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.