Author Topic: New member dls123  (Read 3145 times)

Offline dls123

• Seeking Help
New member dls123
« on: December 23, 2018, 07:19:01 AM »
Hi all..
Don Sachs here.   I saw a thread about the tube preamps I build on here so thought I should participate.  Yes I am an OEM.  Not here to hawk gear, just answer questions as I have time to get on here, and it will be sporadic.  I build only tube gear, preamps, phono preamps, and a KT88 power amp.

I spent most of a decade as Jim McShane's authorized tech to rebuild all the HK citation tube gear.   I must have rebuilt about 75-80 citation II amps, maybe 50-60 citation I preamps, and hundreds of other pieces of classic vintage tube gear.  I got to hear many of the classic power amps like the citation II, Marantz 8B, many Macs, some rare Fisher flagship models, etc...   All very good, and the citation II was the best of them.   Then I started building my own tube preamps, then a phono stage, and finally a KT88 amp that had all of the things I loved about the citation II, but also added a number of other features that were not easy to do unless you start from scratch.  Auto biasing, regulated power supplies, etc...   

I have heard a ton of gear, and unlike the name of this forum, I don't have audiophilia nervosa.   I don' t do hype.   I just listen to things and use what sounds good to me at reasonable prices.    Good luck to all!

cheers,
Don

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Re: New member dls123
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 09:02:36 AM »
Welcome, Don!

Have fun here & enjoy,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 09:12:21 AM »
Hi Don,
Glad you are here. Your equipment has an excellent reputation for great build quality and great sound.
Enjoy the forum!
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 11:09:56 PM »
Don, great to see you here!  Your expertise and good graces have come before you and I really think you’ll have fun here!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 11:20:52 AM »
Hi, Don.

Welcome to AN!

I've been a wee bit busy the last couple weeks, so I only just noticed your posts here.

I can't seem to keep from telling people how much I love my DS amp and preamp, so I end up bragging about them in different forums. The Model 2 was great paired with SS amps, but the Model 2/Kootenay 120 combo is nothing short of amazing. They're going to stay together from now on.

How's the skiing this winter?

Michael
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 12:26:47 PM »
  Hey Don a pleasure to have you here. Your expertise is very welcomed.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.