Author Topic: flac tag editor?  (Read 7386 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
flac tag editor?
« on: July 26, 2008, 07:11:33 PM »
What do you guys use to edit flac tags? I need to do some surgery on the music folder. dbpoweramp is too clumsy for efficient mass editing chores. I used mp3tag with good results back in the day, but I assume it won't do flac... maybe I should try it?   I need something really geared toward editing tags, I know a lot of players can edit them, but I need to be able to change fields in bulk, renumber tracks, macros, etc.
Thanks for any tips
Rich

Offline richidoo

Re: flac tag editor?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 07:14:55 PM »
Whattya know? mp3Tag WILL edit flac tags afterall.
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

What do you guys use?

ipy

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 11:44:03 PM »
I have been using MediaMonkey for a while & its plenty good.  Yes, it does batch editing & more features that I would ever be able to use them all.  I signed up to their Gold membership which has a one-time fee & free future upgrades.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 07:17:33 AM »
Foobar has a 'Mass Tag Editor' but I haven't used it yet.
I need to categorize my music by location, then update all the tags in that location as something I understand like 'Classic Rock' or 'Modern Rock'.  I'm hoping Foobar can do this.. I haven't tried it.

I've heard good things about the Media Monkey.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 10:23:54 AM »
After trying them all, I use Tag&Rename and have for a few years now. I have strayed away to others a few times but I always seem to come back to it.

www.softpointer.com

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 10:27:27 AM »
Great! Thanks.... I'll check em out!

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
Another very nice utility is Jaikoz. http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/

As a bonus it will run on a Mac, Windows or Linux.

mike

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 05:48:16 PM »
I've used Foobar, mp3tag and MediaMonkey.   Personally, I find MediaMonkey the easiest to use and the cost to get a lifetime full license is pretty damn reasonable so I popped.   

I find it amazing that there are so many excellent and free tools available in support of this hobby!

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 04:18:43 AM »
 Personally, I find MediaMonkey the easiest to use and the cost to get a lifetime full license is pretty damn reasonable so I popped.   

I'm there too...I've been putting off ripping my CD's...and have used EAC to do a few (previously). However, thanks to this post I learned about MediaMonkey...and decided to give it a shot. I find it extremely easy to use...and while I have been on the computer(s) doing other things...I have managed to rip a couple of dozen cd's, so far...only couple of thousand more to go  :duh!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 06:23:51 AM »
So you got some disk space up and running, Steve?

I found that the free version of monkey seems to be all that I need. I wanna check out the other apps mentioned too.

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 01:52:33 PM »
So you got some disk space up and running, Steve?

I found that the free version of monkey seems to be all that I need. I wanna check out the other apps mentioned too.

Workin' on it  :roll:!!! Maybe by the next time you come over...I will have added the PC to the mix  :rofl:!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 05:47:43 AM »
I had used the free version of MediaMonkey for a long time and then something came up that I could only do with the paid version so I bought it.   Damn if I can remember what it was tho...  :duh

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 07:13:51 AM »
Just be careful with that Media Monkey.  I just retagged everything on one drive to be the same album by mistake.  Didn't take long, though! ;)

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 09:38:26 AM »
OUCH!! Was it easy to fix?
defrag is fast and powerful too, but hard to undo! haha 

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 09:55:29 AM »
I thought you could just do an auto-tag all at once.. So, I pointed to a drive with about a dozen albums on it.. selected all, then did 'auto tag' and accepted the next box... Then, blammo, all 12 albums were 'The Slip' by NIN, with the same album art, name, songs, etc.  To fix, I chose each album one at a time, did a search for the album, then updated with new info.

The way I 'wish' it worked is to select all, have it ask if the tag/art it found is what I want, say OK, go to the next automatically.

As it stands, you do each album one at a time.  Not really 'mass tagging'.  I've got a long way to go to learn it, though.

-C