Author Topic: Aqua Hi Fi and Rollo Audio  (Read 15721 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Aqua Hi Fi and Rollo Audio
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 04:40:04 PM »
I don't think the new wilson speakers are hot any more,, you can see a new hand is involved at designing these speakers though, because they have really improved a lot recently.

We have all heard expensive systems that sounded crappy, so you have to wonder if money has that much to do with it...of course you need to spend some to get results, but sometimes, alot of times, spending buckets of money doesn't really yield such tremendous gains. Just bragging rights  and I think there is a whole aspect of that incorporated into audiophilia.

I listen to Gregs GT Audio speakers and shake my head, they are just so much better than most stuff out there for relatively little money.

And yes there are lots of mountains that still need climbing.....
looking forward to seeing everyone again

Greg's speakers are 10 grand now BTW.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 04:45:59 PM »
I would bring the cheapest DAC they make, the formula is nice but $16k!
No one is spending that much on Dacs anymore, at least no one we know.

Dacs are getting better and better, and cheaper and cheaper, the super high prices are a nod to the crazy past of the audio business model which is on the way out.

look at the new Wilson speaker ...685K!!!  cmon the circus is back in town!

Looking forward to this event :thumb:and Joe has a great system to do this in

Sorry to disagree, have two Formulas sold and one on order. La Scala is out of stock as well.
    Should be a fun day to hear what is capable in digital playback these days. This will be reference sound to judge all others by.
     Mike the Dubai police recently bought Bugatti police cars. I guess if one has it enjoy it.

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 04:48:09 PM »
Looking forward to this event

Really? Isnt there a mountain that needs hiking? :lol:

Would be nice to see you again, Topround :thumb:

Emil  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Stop that is so F'n funny

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »

look at the new Wilson speaker ...685K!!!  cmon the circus is back in town!

The circus may be back in town.... but not for long.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/15/509903805/after-146-years-ringling-bros-and-barnum-bailey-circus-to-shut-down

Adopt a Tiger or Elephant today ! Or save money and buy a DAC.

charles

charles

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 05:01:42 PM »
I don't think the new wilson speakers are hot any more,, you can see a new hand is involved at designing these speakers though, because they have really improved a lot recently.

We have all heard expensive systems that sounded crappy, so you have to wonder if money has that much to do with it...of course you need to spend some to get results, but sometimes, alot of times, spending buckets of money doesn't really yield such tremendous gains. Just bragging rights  and I think there is a whole aspect of that incorporated into audiophilia.

I listen to Gregs GT Audio speakers and shake my head, they are just so much better than most stuff out there for relatively little money.

charles

Yeah, but 10 grand is a long way from  $685k. As a matter of fact 10 grand is less than 1/5 of the sales tax you would have to pay on a pair of those Wilsons.  :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 05:06:53 PM »

charles

Yeah, but 10 grand is a long way from  $685k. As a matter of fact 10 grand is less than 1/5 of the sales tax you would have to pay on a pair of those Wilsons.  :roll:

Yup Thanks Buddy.

charles

Offline tmazz

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 05:08:05 PM »
I would bring the cheapest DAC they make, the formula is nice but $16k!
No one is spending that much on Dacs anymore, at least no one we know.

Dacs are getting better and better, and cheaper and cheaper, the super high prices are a nod to the crazy past of the audio business model which is on the way out.

look at the new Wilson speaker ...685K!!!  cmon the circus is back in town!

Looking forward to this event :thumb:and Joe has a great system to do this in

Sorry to disagree, have two Formulas sold and one on order. La Scala is out of stock as well.
    Should be a fun day to hear what is capable in digital playback these days. This will be reference sound to judge all others by.
     Mike the Dubai police recently bought Bugatti police cars. I guess if one has it enjoy it.

charles

Two of the closest things to absolutes in audio:

1) you can always make something better by throwing a large enough amount of money at it

and

2) There will always be somebody out there that will pay that amount of of money, if for no other reason than to prove they can.

And as far as I am concerned, as long as they made that money legally, I hope they enjoy the equipment

........And sell it to me for pennies on the dollar two years later.  :drool:  :rofl:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:09:36 PM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 05:30:38 PM »
Thanks Rollo. Now.that Im getting back in, a good DAC is one of my biggest priorities.

As far as how the market is going, $685k is a boatload on money for 99.9% of the people out there but there will always be someone out there.

I have preamps under $3k to about $10k and all prices ranges sell. When Purity had preamps up to $53k, we were selling those as well. Now that preamp is up to $65k (retail) due to the rising cost of silver so after I sell off tbe final piece I have available, we wont be doing that level anymore. Simply cost to much to build these days.

No, you dont have to spend a ton of money to put together a nice system but whether its $10k or $500k, all the pieces have to work together. You can put together a proper $10k system that sounds better than a poorly chosen $100k syetem but we all know a $100k system put together properly can sound truly amazing. Im still a believer in the ultra level of audio.
Not much different than someone spending $50k on a Susuki H2R or $500k on an exotic sports car. If it brings happiness to your life and you can afford it, thats all that matters. Its a hobby and lots of people spend tons of money on their hobbies. Again, if it makes you happy......
I use to think people were nuts spending $1k on a golf club  :duh
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 06:20:04 PM »
wouldn't it be nice to be the dealer that sells those wilsons and get 50 to 60 point markup for doing nothing :thumb:
that's how to make money the easy way!
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 07:18:28 PM »
I wouldnt mind having an older pair of Watt/Puppy. A few internal updates and away I go.  :thumb: Speakers are #2 on my priority list right now.  DAC and speakers are all I need. Everything else I got covered.
Design Engineer
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline rpf

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 10:40:09 PM »
wouldn't it be nice to be the dealer that sells those wilsons and get 50 to 60 point markup for doing nothing :thumb:

Except as the saying goes, how do you make a small fortune in retail audio? Start with a large one.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 08:42:01 AM »
I wouldnt mind having an older pair of Watt/Puppy. A few internal updates and away I go.  :thumb: Speakers are #2 on my priority list right now.  DAC and speakers are all I need. Everything else I got covered.

Bill looking for box or panel speakers ?

charles

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2017, 09:15:52 AM »
Hey Charles. Im open right now on speakers.
Design Engineer

Offline tmazz

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2017, 12:02:37 PM »

As I remember it those Wilson WAMMs were not a dealer item, they were ordered direct from the company. And David Wilson himself used to come to your house and bring a ton of measurement equipment to set them up perfectly in your listening room , even down to adjusting the position of each of the drivers on the arms. I am sure any dealer who sent you his way got some kind of referral fee, but I am pretty sure it wasn't the kind of percentage markups that they normally got on hardware sales. Not sure if it works the same way today, but that is my relocaction of what I had heard in the past, as I for one have never had the kind of free cash required to play in those circles.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2017, 01:21:49 PM »
Ok Guys I put in for the day, so the GTG would be on Saturday, April 22.
Let me know who wants to come, so we have enough food for everybody.

Some of you might not know but I moved a couple years ago, if you need the address i'll PM you.

Charles,to make it a fair comparsion lets make sure we use the same ic's and power cables.

I use Pete's excellent low power digital PC's for the DAC and transport running into a PI Audio digital buss connected to a cryo 7+ PC. I have the IC's, can you bring the rest including whatever digital cable sounds best with the Aqua gear.

I figured we play vinyl first just to get a feel for the differences between analog and digital. Also then I would have to move the phono stage to make room for your DAC and transport. I hope they're stackable don't have anymore rack space.

My set-up is pretty good, should be able to hear the differences. Bring CD's, SACD's, and Vinyl if you want.

Joe
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers