Author Topic: Music Matters -- Next Week at Raleigh and Charlotte Audio Advice Stores  (Read 5324 times)

mac5u

Stopped by the Charlotte Audio Advice store today to listen to the GoldenEar Technology Triton Two speakers.  

While getting set-up to audition the speakers, the sales consultant mentioned that Sandy Gross (yes, that Sandy) was going to be in the Raleigh store next Thursday and in Charlotte on Friday.  I think he mentioned Paul Barton of PBS speakers will be there too.  

In addition, reps (not sure who) from Magnepan, Classe,  Audio Research, AudioQuest, Ayre Acoustics, Bowers & Wilkins, Magnepan, Peachtree Audio, PSB Speakers, Transparent Cable, and Wilson Audio are going to be there too.

My understanding is the rep from Magnepan will be setting up a demo for the Maggie desktop system.  There were supposed to be some 3.7s in the Charlotte store but were damaged in transit.

Guest speaker scheduled is Chris Connacker (Computer Audiophile).

Sounds like a great evening!

evan1

Re: Music Matters -- Next Week at Raleigh and Charlotte Audio Advice Stores
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 02:23:53 PM »
How did the speakers sound ?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 05:57:11 PM »
They are featuring the desktop Maggies at the Raleigh show also, but they have 1.7s and 3.7s in stock for audition in Raleigh. I am afraid to go hear it.  :lol:

Maybe they will use the big new Classe mono amps this time.   The BW/Classe room sounded very good last time.

The caterer is a favorite Italian restaurant of my wife and I. Bella Monica, always good eatin at the Raleigh Music Matters.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:37:43 PM »
They are featuring the desktop Maggies at the Raleigh show also, but they have 1.7s and 3.7s in stock for audition in Raleigh. I am afraid to go hear it.  :lol:

Maybe they will use the big new Classe mono amps this time.   The BW/Classe room sounded very good last time.

The caterer is a favorite Italian restaurant of my wife and I. Bella Monica, always good eatin at the Raleigh Music Matters.

Good sound and good food? It doesn't get any better than that.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

mac5u

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 04:30:31 AM »
I've never really written about audio equipment before so I am probably going to be limited in expressing what I heard.  I'm a little pressed for time right now but I have my notes and will write out something later, but I will say this:  They sounded very, very good, and I ended up preferring them in many ways for several (not all) of the discs I played vs. a pair of stand-mount B&W Diamond 805s hooked up to a Fathom F112 sub.

evan1

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 05:07:26 AM »
Cool . Just want to know if you would  or could consider them audiophile quality.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 06:05:14 AM »
I've never really written about audio equipment before so I am probably going to be limited in expressing what I heard. 

Just forget everything you know about equipment and think about the music and the sound itself.  My best partner for critical listening (and damn near anything else for that matter) was always my wife. She knew absolutely nothing about the technical end of this hobby nor what to look for in terms of what a particular change was "supposed to" do yet she had a great knack for picking up some of the minute sonic details and characteristics and then describing them using plain English like she was explaining them to a 5 year old. Things like "How come this amplifier makes the guys in the back row sound like they are standing on chairs?" (Translation good depth and height imaging) or "The tambourine had more tinkle in it that time" (Translation - faster and more detailed transients) Of course my favorite of her comments was when we were auditioning some cable using a piece of choral music and we got to one that was just not a good match for the equipment I was using at the time and sounded  quit a bit cooler than the rest while  also smearing a lot of the inner details. What I noticed was a bit less bass and lower midrange response and a loss of detail such that you were only hearing the singers direct voice and no longer had any sense of her chest resonance. My wife's comment - "This cable makes the fat lady sound skinny."  :D

Of course the most common thing for her to say (especially after making a postive comment) was "Oh Gd, how much is that going to cost me?"  :rofl:

Bottom line here is listen with your ears and write with your gut. You'll be surprised at how much good information you get across. 8)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 07:21:57 AM »
My wife's comment - "This cable makes the fat lady sound skinny."  :D

Look for that "reviewer's quote" in the next AudioQuest magazine  ad....   in Vogue...

:rofl: