Author Topic: Hi Fi tuning Fuses  (Read 8031 times)

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
Hi Fi tuning Fuses
« on: October 05, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »
I have heard about these over and over and read a few evaluations on them.  Some people say they are the best thing since sliced bread  :), others not so great.   :(
They seem to be of high quality and German made. Expensive as well. But worth it if they deliver as promised.  :shock:
What say you?
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Hi Fi tuning Fuses
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 12:19:15 PM »
 I have used them. Colored in tonality on the warmish side. The fuse of fuses IMHO are the Synergystic "Black" $150 ea. Audio Magic as well has a great fuse. They do make a substantial difference. Not a dealer of such.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 12:39:09 PM »
Fuses are used in our gear to provide protection from electrical fire. My primary concern would be, do these fuses function in all ways identically to the stock fuses?
Scotty

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 12:48:12 PM »
Fuses are used in our gear to provide protection from electrical fire. My primary concern would be, do these fuses function in all ways identically to the stock fuses?
Scotty

Yes Sir they do and to my surprise actually make a difference in sonics. Believe me Scotty I had serious doubts about any improvement in sound. I was mistaken.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline _Scotty_

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 02:19:46 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised that the fuses made a change or an improvement sonically speaking, but as I said earlier I would want assurances that the fuse would function identically to the stock fuse.
 I have garnered an improvement from taking 1000 grit wet and dry sand paper and removing the nickel plating from the fuse body and putting dose of ProGold on it.
Scotty

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised that the fuses made a change or an improvement sonically speaking, but as I said earlier I would want assurances that the fuse would function identically to the stock fuse.
 I have garnered an improvement from taking 1000 grit wet and dry sand paper and removing the nickel plating from the fuse body and putting dose of ProGold on it.
Scotty

You could take it a set further... After removing the nickel plating, rub some "Cool Amp" silver plating powder on it, and then ProGold...

http://www.cool-amp.com/cool_amp.html
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 08:46:20 PM »
And we have guys in the club who swear that fuses are directional.  So as a first step, just try flipping then around and see if one way sounds any better than the other.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but it doesn't cost you anything to find out.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 08:39:00 AM »
In researching these fuses, there seems to be a lot of choices and materials. The Hi Fi silver fuses would seem to have the best conductivity and the liquid filled fuses from Audio Magic are rather interesting concept.  The fuses from Synergystic  are rather interesting as well. I guess the type of equipment (tube, SS, brand) you have would make a difference as well. I am sure some design fuses work better with certain styles of equipment than others. 

Then there is the debate of direction. I see  Synergystic notes that their fuses are directional. 

Where does a person start?

I guess one could try the Hi Fi fuses as they are the most reasonably priced and see what happens. :shock:

Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 06:30:36 PM »
Scotty

You could take it a set further... After removing the nickel plating, rub some "Cool Amp" silver plating powder on it, and then ProGold...

http://www.cool-amp.com/cool_amp.html
+1 on fuses.

It seems stupid that a fuse can make a difference at first, but consider the fact that we use uyp to 6-7ga cables to supply AC to the equipment and then it all gets crammed into a .025 - .032" piece of fusible wire to then work magic in our systems.  With that thought in mind, why wouldn't they?

I have been cryoing fuses since I built my first few power cables that were being cryoed.  Thing was, "why not do so?"

They do appear to be directional.  Pete and I have not discussed this before, but I've been sanding the nickel plating off to get to the brass cap.  Problem is that leaves the brass in the cap and holder.  If you have an absolute OCD urge to rectify this problem, silver plated beryllium copper fuse holder are available at Digikey and Mouser.  Here is a link:

[url]https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/littelfuse-inc/03590001Z/F10140-ND/554030/url]

I use Gena Labs or Pro Gold as an enhancer.

I can't swear I hear a difference but hell: I'll be 70 in a few months.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:35:56 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline _Scotty_

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 07:55:59 PM »
Some of the problem is due to the fact that the fuse is a non-linear resistor whose resistance varies with temperature. A large problem if the power amp has speaker fuses in it. I bypassed mine with a large value foil and film cap across the speaker fuse holders. The same non-linear problem crops up in a class AB power amp with an AC fuse, thermal modulation of the fuse resistance due a varying AC current draw from the wall. I have also seen the stock fuse exhibit directionality

SCREWY AIN'T IT.
Scotty

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 07:11:09 AM »
So here is the big question. I am willing to give this a go, but witch way to go? :shock:

I want to try some fuses in the Parasound equipment. 

The JC2BP is a pretty clean sounding, neutral SS pre amp.

The A21 is also a very clean, neutral sounding SS amp.

The overall sound from the Tritons is pretty balanced and neutral. Bass is strong. So no need to really tweak their sound.

So what fuse in your opinion would be the best on to try?  :?

I have a bottle of the Jena Labs contact fluid and always use that. It seems some of the fuses are already made from special metals or coatings to enhance conductivity but, will to try some of the other treatments.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:15:18 AM by jessearias »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 08:29:18 AM »
 Synergystic black. Graphene conductor just makes sense here. No temp limits, more conductive than silver just $150 ea. ouch. next choice for me is Audio Magic.

charles

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 04:21:47 PM »
So here is the big question. I am willing to give this a go, but witch way to go? :shock:

I want to try some fuses in the Parasound equipment. 

The JC2BP is a pretty clean sounding, neutral SS pre amp.

The A21 is also a very clean, neutral sounding SS amp.

The overall sound from the Tritons is pretty balanced and neutral. Bass is strong. So no need to really tweak their sound.

So what fuse in your opinion would be the best on to try?  :?

I have a bottle of the Jena Labs contact fluid and always use that. It seems some of the fuses are already made from special metals or coatings to enhance conductivity but, will to try some of the other treatments.
Jesse,

I would try dfusing the preamp first.  As always, cleaning up the highest gain devices first just make sense in a noise floor and microdynamics context.

I'll be very interested in your findings.  Party on!!!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 04:13:13 PM »
I got to thinking about this more today and realized that I had not related my experiences with standard fuses years ago:

Use fuses with ceramic bodies whenever possible.

Wrap the body of the fuse with some type of tape as tightly as possible.  Teflon tape works and is easy.  my wrap of choice has been gauze that is saturated with Aleenes Tacky Glue.  Cleans up with water and stays flexible.  Build up the covering as thick as possible still allowing insertion and you are good to go.  Do I need to add that they must be very dry before using?

My experience with fuses has been, like with many other tweaks, subtle, but better.  Get enough of the subtle tweaks stacked up and all of a sudden the changes are a very good thing.

All of this is for tewaks with too much time on our hands and don't care what the "scientists" have to say.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:17:27 PM by P.I. »

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 12:43:03 PM »
To add onto what PI said with the ceramic fuses one tweak that was passed onto me was to clean the fuse ends really well. A little bit of elbow grease will go a long way. Use one of those silver polishes and then clean them with deoxit after. Do this as well as the fuse holder ends if possible.