Author Topic: The Basement starts  (Read 64922 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: The Basement starts
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 04:48:26 AM »
Nick, I certainly feel that way at the moment. ;)

I've updated the photos with yesterday's progress... the walls in the soundroom are up... today is 'soffit day'.

I really enjoy listening to music.

rosconey

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 05:38:37 AM »
that looks like the ladder i just bought at home depot

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 08:00:01 AM »
Lookin good carlman! More pine nuts today? That means more pictures tonight!

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 08:15:48 AM »
Coming right along.  Make sure you caulk the bottom plate to the concrete before you put your mat down so you don't lose isolation there. 

Also, if you haven't planned the door position yet, try to keep it out of the corners and offset at least a couple feet if not more from the center of the rear wall.  That leaves more options when it comes time to treat the room.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

miklorsmith

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2008, 08:57:03 AM »
That looks to be a beautiful audio room, seeing with my mind's eye.  In the end, you will have pride of not only assembling the tinkly bits but also the structure in which they reside.  What an opportunity.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2008, 12:49:52 PM »
Coming right along.  Make sure you caulk the bottom plate to the concrete before you put your mat down so you don't lose isolation there. 
Also, if you haven't planned the door position yet, try to keep it out of the corners and offset at least a couple feet if not more from the center of the rear wall.  That leaves more options when it comes time to treat the room.
Bryan
Done and done.  We laid a polystyrene-dimpled membrane first, (DeltaFL.com) then the plywood first to make a subfloor.  So, the entire basement is on one big floating floor.  It was glued together at every seam with industrial adhesive.  All of the walls are then glued and screwed to the subfloor, with an extra bead of glue along the inside edges of the sound room.
The back door is about 3' into the room along the back wall, which is about 15' wide.  I'll post a pic of the layout in my gallery soon.
There has to be some weird soffits along the back because of a return duct from upstairs that can't be moved.  I'm debating on whether to make the bump out symetrical now... probably will.

Quote from: milorsmith
That looks to be a beautiful audio room, seeing with my mind's eye.  In the end, you will have pride of not only assembling the tinkly bits but also the structure in which they reside.  What an opportunity.
It's a dream come true, I'll be honest.  I figured this will be 'my big thing'... I'll have a great place to hear music at its best and watch movies in my own theater.... and that's just amazing to me.  You only live once.
-C

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 01:14:12 PM »
Yup.  And once you have a dedicated space to best set up and use your stuff, you'll never want to go back to a space that you have to share with windows, furniture, decorative considerations, etc.

Congrats.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

ik632

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 01:50:21 PM »
Now you're making me wish we got a house with some expansion room.  :duh

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 03:25:27 PM »
Now you're making me wish we got a house with some expansion room.  :duh
I'm just now starting to see how big of a wish it really was... It's a serious project requiring permits, several contractors, etc.  It's on the scale of building a small but custom house. 

If you want to vicariously enjoy the building process, let me know... I can always use free labor. haha...

-C

ik632

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2008, 03:25:39 PM »
Do you want me to bring the 120" screen on Sunday so you can get a feel for the size of things down there? I'm not using it so you are welcome to it.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2008, 03:27:26 PM »
No, I bought a retractable 100" and will have them mount it in the soffit Saturday. (they're taking tomorrow off)  Thanks for the offer, though!

ik632

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2008, 03:30:46 PM »
Sweet, I wanted retractable, but Corrie said no.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2008, 04:29:10 PM »
I had no choice... it was what he had for the size I needed, at a great price... and I had to have retractable for the room's primary purpose; audio... I couldn't have a big screen covering all the diffusion and absorption panels... and then not watch it... HT is 2nd to audio in this room...
Otherwise, a fixed screen would've definitely been the way to go...
You can put a little curtain apron in front of them, like a theater! :)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008, 05:22:52 PM »
  Looking sweeter every day. As you stated we only live once. Enjoy. The best part although frustating is the process. When you sit down for the first time in your new room after all is done the reward will be well worth all the grief, frustration and money. ENJOY you lucky man you.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2008, 06:14:40 AM »
Well, the framing is about 90% finished... They're off today and coming back tomorrow to finish the soffit in the back of the soundroom and in the office to cover some ductwork... cleanup, etc.
I tried to put the photos in order of a walk-through in the gallery here.  However, they are backwards.  So, start with the last and go backwards to get a walk-through or 'virtual tour'. ;)