Author Topic: Starting a recording studio in my home  (Read 6213 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Starting a recording studio in my home
« on: August 18, 2008, 02:14:20 PM »
What do I need to record something like a small drumset, electric guitar, bass, keyboard, and singer?
Is it the same as what I'd need to record an all acoustic 3-piece jazz trio?

I figure I'll need microphones, a mixing board, and a computer.  Anything else? ;)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Starting a recording studio in my home
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 04:24:22 PM »
3 mics on the drums, one each guitar and bass amps, keyboard direct/midi/amp mic optional, and a nice mic for the singer. A ~10 channel USB type sound card, various accessories like cables, stands, etc. Use the virtual mixing board on a good DAW. So far that's ~$5000 for good stuff, ~$4000 for cheap.  Don't buy used, it is all junk at this price not good at longevity under stress. You will need isolation for a loud band, which means headphone monitoring if you are recording everybody live. 5 headphones and distribution that are easy to use (time efficient) and don't sound like shit figure $2000+.

That lets you get the singer out of the sound room. You might want just the drums in there and everyone else out, or in different rooms. Get 50ft mic cables. A big UPS is a good idea, a laptop is very handy too. Mixing is very time consuming, but it's fun if you like it.

Budget money for good musicians or you're wasting your money on the gear. It takes time to learn it all, and how to run a session. But it's fun. There are plenty of local bands that want to record for free, or cheap. $25/hour will keep you busy, as many hours as you can stand. $50/hour is pushing it without a dedicated recording space with isolation and a real board.

I buy stuff from Nate Edwards at Sweetwater.com I have been a customer for 16 years, they are excellent for good advice. He will send you a free catalog which is fun to flip through to get a feel for what's available.

pjchappy

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 11:18:45 PM »
Would love to hear how this has progressed!

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 05:10:06 AM »
Or rent studio time if it's not something you plan to do often.  You'll end up with a far better product and learn a lot in the process.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 07:59:25 AM »
I'm still in the planning stages.. the studio has become a 'next year' project but since next year is coming soon.. I'm looking at equipment now.  I have delusions of grandeur when I fantasize about it in my head.. Like I'll meet artists that are really good and I connect with their music.. and then they'll be interested to record in my studio with all the purity of their art intact.  I'm thinking like big stars that have lots of production and stupid effects that distract from the performance.. So when I listen to a Coldplay cd I'm constantly disctrated by the symbols recorded louder than the singer... and the compressed sound.. and the band agrees with me and says, yeah, let's go jam at your place, record it, and see how it turns out.. fun times!

I also have the reality that artists just don't care.  But I think the ones that have a lot to say might.  So, I realize it's a long shot that my dream will be realized... so it's easy to put it off.

It frustrates me that the artists that I connect with have such terrible sounding cd's.  Why don't they care?  If I recorded an album then heard it.. I'd be like, wait a minute.. we don't sound anything like that... that's just not us.  I can understand the new artists.. having to deal with the record label telling them how it is.. but what about later when you've made it?  Do they just not care at all at that point?  Unfortunately I think the answer is that they don't... that alone deflates me to the point of not even bothering.. but maybe I can catch someone on the upswing.. I don't know.  NC isn't exactly a great place to start looking for artistic talent.. It's like the vanilla ice cream of the U.S. Everyone does their thing.. great place to raise a family.. there's shopping at chain stores and malls.. wee fun.   So, my whole thing is flawed.  I need to move somewhere with real pain or joy... not smoothed over.  Looks like I may never start. ;)

-C
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 08:01:21 AM by Carlman »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:28:49 AM »
Nice attitude Carl   :thumb: 

When the artists stop caring then we're all doomed.  You are not an artist in your present state of mind. Like attracts like.

Excuse me now while I go take some of my own medicine...

On a brighter note... Start haunting some of the many Durham clubs hosting live music. Find a solo singer/guitarist whose songs you like or at least can stand to listen to each one 1000 times in a row before each track is finished. Avoid attractive women. Record them on your computer with my soundcard and mics. Make a CD for them for free. It will mostly suck except for 10 seconds of interesting sounds, but you will have momentum and be infinitely more experienced than you are now and will know better what to try next. Keep up the vision for 10 years and you will be a busy record producer. You have what it takes.

Content is what matters. In recording biz, content means the song more than the recording or the performer. You know how to recognize a good song, and you could write them yourself. If you want to make any money from this in the long run, then publishing is the only thing that matters. Either publish the song (as songwriter) or publish the recording (as producer,) either way you must own it. But that's a ways off. First you have to start doing it, get momentum, then if you still love it you will attract talent that can help you fulfill your goals.

Are you feeling inspired?

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 09:06:16 AM »
 :rofl:

Rich, loved your response.- my daughter (5) just asked me what was so funny.

Rob S.
No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 10:19:47 AM »
Man, my funk inspired you... Michael Moore and Obama sunrises.. nice!

I haven't been feeling anything this week.. kind of like waiting for something but not knowing what's coming.  I think the 5-day family presence took it out of me more than I realized...

But.. The sun is out now.. so I'll go breathe that in for a while.. see if I can get my juices flowing again. :)

Thanks for the 'Reality Check'.

-C

Bigfish8

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 10:51:37 AM »
Man, my funk inspired you... Michael Moore and Obama sunrises.. nice!

I haven't been feeling anything this week.. kind of like waiting for something but not knowing what's coming.  I think the 5-day family presence took it out of me more than I realized...

But.. The sun is out now.. so I'll go breathe that in for a while.. see if I can get my juices flowing again. :)

Thanks for the 'Reality Check'.

-C

Hey Carl:

I think several of us are trying to get back into a normal swing after the holiday but what we are going through is nothing.  Just think what hell that Tiger Woods is going through after his holiday weekend! :rofl: :rofl:

Ken