Author Topic: New Tweeters = Relief and joy  (Read 4812 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
New Tweeters = Relief and joy
« on: August 21, 2010, 05:56:58 PM »
Well, they're not really new.. I used an existing center channel and a friend's spare and together, replaced the mid/tweet panels in my Piega's after an accidental disaster at a recent gathering.  I didn't want to post anything until I knew the cause.. or at least knew what it wasn't.  I feel pretty sure it wasn't the source gear.  Note: Be SURE to hit mute, change inputs, or turn off your amp (if SS) when powering off a source.  We got lazy, poop happens.. I learned a valuable/costly lesson but I was due... I think this is only my second 'oops' in 10 years.  The other was fixed w/ a resistor and fuse, though..

I haven't figured out exactly what happened to kill the tweeters but... I was using the tape loop for 1 input, and every other input I had.. and when 1 source was turned off, a feedback loop or oscillation or something happened to send just the tweeter an ultra high frequency that fried it.. I mean, fire and smoke fried.

There was a 10 or so second delay from turning off the source to when it started frying.. so I have no idea how that would've happened.. unless the oscillation started at a low freq and went high.  The amp went into overload protection... but only protected itself. Macintosh is so self-centered. ;)

In any case, I'm happy to report everything's back together and singing wonderfully.  I even think it sounds just a little better than it did before if that's posssible.. who knows.  The original tweeters were made in '03 the new ones were made in '02.  I plan on getting the original tweeters completely rebuilt at some point... whenever I get a couple grand lying around.

I'm trying to find a center channel to match now.. but all in all, good times. whew!

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

bacobits

Re: New Tweeters = Relief and joy
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 06:09:45 PM »
Great you got it back up and running.
Those Piegas are super nice sounding.
I should say the room and system are superb.
I wanted to hear your vinyl.
Next time.

Den

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 07:08:07 PM »
Carl,

I'm glad that you are back up and able to enjoy music...at the level at which you are accustomed  8).

I've always wondered if the 'poked' tweeter sections ever had any deleterious effects on the sound quality (???)

I hope to NEVER have that experience again  :shock:!

Happy listening!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:23:13 AM »
I've always had the same suspicion.. makes me wonder what brand new, perfect-perfect panels would sound like.. hmmm... Maybe as good as I have it, but I don't know.. Nervosa! haha  But I did think there should be more of a difference than there was when Steve and I compared C8's head to head... maybe the gap is a little bigger now?  Nervosa again!

I have re-positioned them again, something close to what they were before but farther from the sidewalls, into the room.

I also replaced a 2ohm resistor on the tweeter with a 6ohm.  The highs are just as detailed but much more tolerable on the hard strikes and biting sounds.  I can hear people's voices better and understand exactly what they're saying which is quite nice.. It makes me very 'engaged' and emotionally attached to the music.  They perform a good notch up from pre-incident... I think the positioning helped as well as the tweeters and resistors..

I'm also very relieved that the system gives me the 'oh wow' reaction and attachment to music again.  The Usher's didn't mesh well in my system, not at all... I didn't get the hype about the diamond tweeters.. but maybe when I hear them elsewhere I will.

-C

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 01:46:03 PM »
Seems like it is turning into a blessing in disguise!

I also replaced a 2ohm resistor on the tweeter with a 6ohm.  The highs are just as detailed but much more tolerable on the hard strikes and biting sounds.  I can hear people's voices better and understand exactly what they're saying which is quite nice.. It makes me very 'engaged' and emotionally attached to the music.  They perform a good notch up from pre-incident... I think the positioning helped as well as the tweeters and resistors..

Glad you got rid of the bite. We're all glad about that!

Hey "A notch up," that's big compliment coming from you, and worth a little repair and trouble.

I didn't get the hype about the diamond tweeters..

Cuz they're not diamond tweeters. ;)

Bigfish8

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 07:26:28 AM »
I didn't get the hype about the diamond tweeters.. but maybe when I hear them elsewhere I will.

There were several of us that compared my Mini Dancer II's with the old beryllium tweeters and the new diamond tweeters at one of Shane's G2G's several months ago.  Whether or not they are really Dimond Tweeters just as the Beryllium Tweeters are not really beryllium they were judged to be a significant upgrade.  The diamonds are much less harsh and ringy!  However just as with everything else in this hobby nothing appeals to all of us!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 11:27:05 AM »
Well said, Ken... I'm looking forward to hearing them in other systems.  I'm not comparing diamond to non-diamond.. just the overall presentation of the mini 2's.. which will vary greatly depending on gear and room...

I guess I like the old school sound of Usher's better, like my 718's.