Author Topic: Rare Record collection for sale  (Read 3000 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Rare Record collection for sale
« on: May 30, 2019, 05:15:17 AM »
Story in Absolute Sound on Rare Record Collection for sale

TMAZZ Heres your chance!!

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/unique-lp-collection-goes-on-the-market/
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Rare Record collection for sale
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 09:21:24 AM »
The classical sucks. Not for me! Unless I was rich, I might buy it for others to pick through.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 10:18:15 AM »
I'm sure there was lots of cool stuff, but I didn't see much in the first 100 or so lp's  I looked at.  But I'm not an ABBA or AC/DC fan.  I might have picked up the acetate Louis Armstrong.  I didn't get past the B's before I left. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 10:18:13 PM »
They even have some J.Geils and Quiet Riot! Funny that the writer should mention those. No Sight of The Shaggs, though!

But this should be worth it:

Offline Folsom

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 02:20:31 AM »
There's only 20 "audiophile" Jazz albums (mostly Blue Note).  I'm sure some of the Columbias are ok.

The special LP's is mostly junk. There's a few that would crest $100.

I stopped looking. The country is so bad you couldn't give it to me.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 05:28:57 AM »
I agree I didnt see anything I would want. Weird how they would boast about how rare and collectible it is
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Folsom

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 09:54:42 AM »
Honestly it looks like anything super valuable was pulled for bigger auctions. I fucking hate when people do that. They deserve any struggles they get to sell once they've gutted a collection.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 10:00:26 AM »
I agree I didnt see anything I would want. Weird how they would boast about how rare and collectible it is

Well, I’m at a point where I’m going to put my collection in the car and drive to Vegas and sell...or give them away. As my wife gently reminded some months ago, I haven’t played an album in over 20 years....and she’s right!
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 06:07:43 AM »
There's only 20 "audiophile" Jazz albums (mostly Blue Note).  I'm sure some of the Columbias are ok.

The special LP's is mostly junk. There's a few that would crest $100.

I stopped looking. The country is so bad you couldn't give it to me.

And those Blue notes were note from a premium reissue label but rather mid 80s releases from Blue Note itself, if I remember correctly were nothing that special to begin with. If I am going to pay premium prices for blue Note reissues I am going to want something from Analogue  Productions or Music Matters.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 06:24:31 AM »

There is a lot of collectable stuff in there. Just not the kind of stuff that we as audiophiles would consider valuable. This is a collection for the folks that buy records for the sake of owning them.  We want to listen to them, collectors just want to find them.

Those guys got nuts over things with special stickers on them or promo copies of thing. We only care about how the record sounds.

I always just laugh listening to the collectors talk at the record shows. I heard two guys one day discussing how one of them paid  hundreds of dollars some rare pressing of an LP and when the other guys asked him how did it sound he replied" I can't play that record, it;s too valuable. or the guys that will pay $75 for a seal copy of an LP that they could pick up a mint used copy of for $10 and the refuse to open is because it will drop in vales if the seal gets broken.  Damn in my mind a record that can't be play is completely worthless to me. To me it's value is based on the music it contains, so if you can't access the music, why bother. But that's just me.

But to be fair, the collector crowd thinks that we are all crazy for spending the kind of money we spend on equipment (especially cables  :lol:). The bottom line is that people spend their money in ways that give them pleasure. For most of us we buy records because be enjoy listening to them. For the collectors, they buy records just to simply say they did. Neither is wrong, but they just put a different value system around the same set of items.

So this collection would be valuable to the right people, it's just that none of those people hang out here.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 10:19:32 AM »

There is a lot of collectable stuff in there. Just not the kind of stuff that we as audiophiles would consider valuable. This is a collection for the folks that buy records for the sake of owning them.  We want to listen to them, collectors just want to find them.

Those guys got nuts over things with special stickers on them or promo copies of thing. We only care about how the record sounds.

I always just laugh listening to the collectors talk at the record shows. I heard two guys one day discussing how one of them paid  hundreds of dollars some rare pressing of an LP and when the other guys asked him how did it sound he replied" I can't play that record, it;s too valuable. or the guys that will pay $75 for a seal copy of an LP that they could pick up a mint used copy of for $10 and the refuse to open is because it will drop in vales if the seal gets broken.  Damn in my mind a record that can't be play is completely worthless to me. To me it's value is based on the music it contains, so if you can't access the music, why bother. But that's just me.

But to be fair, the collector crowd thinks that we are all crazy for spending the kind of money we spend on equipment (especially cables  :lol:). The bottom line is that people spend their money in ways that give them pleasure. For most of us we buy records because be enjoy listening to them. For the collectors, they buy records just to simply say they did. Neither is wrong, but they just put a different value system around the same set of items.

So this collection would be valuable to the right people, it's just that none of those people hang out here.

Great points, Tom! Puts things into perspective!

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 08:28:32 PM »

I completely agree! In a somewhat related collection-obsessed hobby, I have a friend who used to collect basketball cards and another who collected toys and comic books. They both dropped hundreds of dollars on cards and comics only to never use them as they were intended. Had them stored in a display case and laminated. Couldn't take them out for fear of damaging the goods and making the value go down.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 08:43:39 PM »
We had a guy in our stereo club who brought in his brother-in-law who at the time was obsessed with Mercury Living Presence LPs. He was going crazy trying  to find as many as he could. We all loved the music on them and thought we understood why hwe was seeking them out. The all of a sudden he dropped out of site. Some time later I asked his brother-in-law what ever happened to Walter. He told me that Walter was not really an audiophile or even a music lover. Walter was a collector. And once he found pretty much as many of the Mercuries as were available  it was no longer any fun to look for them, so he sold off the entire library and move on to collecting something else. He only came to our meeting because he was getting good tips on where to look for the records.

Hey, whatever floats your boat.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9