Author Topic: Music In 5.1  (Read 12933 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Music In 5.1
« on: October 26, 2007, 08:58:23 AM »
For me its not ready yet. Has anyone heard a multichannel system do justice to the music? For movies great for music, Ehhhh! Convince me.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Bigfish8

Re: Music In 5.1
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 04:54:50 PM »
Rollo:

I agree with you.  Movie playback in 5.1 sounds great but with movies the show is about what you see.  Surround sound definitely adds to the show but with music the sound is the total experience.  Therefore, I think we are much more critical of what we hear when there is nothing to stimilate the vison senses.  As critical as I have become with what I hear from two speakers I dread to think what it would be like trying to balance a 5.1 system for music.

Ken

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 07:19:15 AM »
  Bigfish,
              The brain cannot focus on the video and sound at the same time. Lucky for home theater fans. Cut off the video and the sound is good at best. Turn the video back on and the sound can be very good. For movies even a run of the mill Sony 5.1 for $250 will sound good. Thats my take.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 07:47:14 AM »
Therefore, I think we are much more critical of what we hear when there is nothing to stimilate the vison senses. Ken

You may have stumbled upon the best high end tweak of all, Ken. Distraction! Maybe simple DVDs of nature scenes, tours of cities, or just screen saver type random images, anything to prevent focusing on the sound of cables. haha Of course the DVDs don't need a soundtrack, and a TV screen is cheaper than the 3rd upgrade amp anyway.

I do have some nice surround SACDs that I would like to hear in surround someday. Everyone that hears it says it is much better than stereo, when done properly.
Rich

ill@ease

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 11:44:29 PM »
Has anyone heard a multichannel system do justice to the music?

Yes. Like any other system that does justice to music, one has to work at it. In my estimation, most audio salons are not that good at explaining it, demonstrating it, selling it, or tolerating it. On more than one occasion I have been waved off by a very high end audio boutique that didn't seem interested in this whole new-fangled "5.1 stereo" (or those exotic "HDMI" cables for a TV they sold me that they didn't happen to carry and therefore weren't worth a flip).

That's okay, I went home and figured it out for myself (which took some time), but when it finally worked and I was able to spend time dialing it in, it was heavenly. And so began the search for well-mixed 5.1 channel SACDs and DVD-As, which is a whole new adventure in its own right.

It can be done, it just takes work. :-({|=

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 06:29:42 AM »

And so began the search for well-mixed 5.1 channel SACDs and DVD-As, which is a whole new adventure in its own right.

That says a ton right there.  Getting decent recordings in 5.1 is very difficult.  They've in general not gotten the hang of it quite yet.  Sitting in the middle of the orchestra is great - if you're a flute player.  Otherwise, I'd like to sit in the audience thank you.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 10:45:37 AM »

And so began the search for well-mixed 5.1 channel SACDs and DVD-As, which is a whole new adventure in its own right.

That says a ton right there.  Getting decent recordings in 5.1 is very difficult.  They've in general not gotten the hang of it quite yet.  Sitting in the middle of the orchestra is great - if you're a flute player.  Otherwise, I'd like to sit in the audience thank you.

Bryan

I agree.... And what Bryan said says a lot, too... Knowing your preference for how music is presented....
Do you want:
1- to hear a copy of what was happening in a live performance or
2- the sound to be created as if it's a new, live experience in your own room? 

I prefer the latter because more often than not, it's better than the live event (for rock and most jazz) to me.  I call it a '2nd generation original' concept.  I think 5.1 sound is aiming to be more like #1. 

Maybe I'm splitting hairs on a concept... because in reality, everyone is really hearing a 2nd generation original but it's the goal that's important to me.  I want it to sound like the band is in a space that would fit correctly in the space(s) they are playing... and the instruments are the right size... I know a lot of this will have to do with the recording technique but for the few that get it right, I'd like to have my personal environment present it perfectly.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.