Author Topic: System As a Whole  (Read 3268 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
System As a Whole
« on: October 15, 2018, 10:26:58 AM »
  Over the years we have listened to numerous components in varying systems. There are numerous contributing factors to produce good sound. So when inserts a different component or cable are we listening to that unto itself or the system as a whole ? Could it be that the new component or cable has a special synergy with existing system ? Or it is just better overall  ?
Hard to say, what's your take ?
At audio shows we show a system not individual components.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
Re: System As a Whole
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 05:01:01 PM »
  Over the years we have listened to numerous components in varying systems. There are numerous contributing factors to produce good sound. So when inserts a different component or cable are we listening to that unto itself or the system as a whole ? Could it be that the new component or cable has a special synergy with existing system ? Or it is just better overall  ?
Hard to say, what's your take ?
At audio shows we show a system not individual components.

charles

Hi Charles,

Normally, with a set/reference system, after auditioning to reference the sound; when one installs a new component or cable, the difference is just the component or cable as the rest of the system is common mode, common to both with and without the new component or cable. They cancel out of the "equation".

Caveat: This could include mating different brand/type plugs/jacks when installing a new component or cable, so a difference could also be noted at those junctions as well as internal component and internal cable differences.

Making comparisons of parts/components requires the absolute utmost care, or one will arrive at the wrong conclusions about that component. This is especially true with capacitor comparisons; improper testing, "capacitor comparisons", has completely decimated the list of quality capacitors. There are none at reasonable prices that I know of, maybe not at any price. If someone wants to send me some 2,0 uf Claritycaps, I can test them for accuracy in absolute terms.

A component that is actually accurate in absolute terms may not be appreciated in a given system because it will not compensate for any weaknesses in the system. So one looks for a component that will compensate for the largest flaw.  (I use accurate to mean the instrument/voice will sound exactly the same at the part/component's output, just as it does at the part/component's input.)

I hope my post was clear and concise for everyone. If not, let me know.

cheers

steve

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 05:08:33 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 08:49:39 PM »
- So when inserts a different component or cable are we listening to that unto itself or the system as a whole ? by default, you're listening to the entire system.  there's no getting around it.

Hi Doug,

I think I understand what you are saying Doug, but in actuality we both did not fully explain things (me from my previous post. I was half asleep when I posted.)

Let's use an example. When one listens to their "reference" system and then changes out a component, say source X with source Y, the speaker does not suddenly change its characteristic "sound, neither does the amplifier, nor preamplifier. They are common to both setups, both sources, and cancel out of the equation.

The only sonic changes that occur is Y source itself vs X source, and any mating impedance change of the source to the preamplifier, assuming the source is capacitively/transformer coupled. DC coupled should cause no change, unless the source were poorly designed with very high output impedance (Z). A minute difference might also occur if the ic plug/source jack are different materials from X source jack.

I would say we were both lacking in explanation, which was probably similar.   :)

cheers

steve

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:00:06 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 08:45:48 AM »
   So I take it, it is how the new component , cable, tweak sounds integrated in said system. The new  ?? affects the system as a whole.
 Bringing said ??? to another system is moot IMO as a synergy or non synergy may exist in different system. What we will learn is if said ??? has a synergy with that system. Yes ? No ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 10:01:29 AM »
   So I take it, it is how the new component , cable, tweak sounds integrated in said system. The new  ?? affects the system as a whole.

Yes, the sound will be affected by that component, thus the system will sound different. But I have always noticed that systems have multiple problems, so it seems to me that when individuals mention "synergy", they tend to improve on the biggest problem of the existing system. I think that fixing just one problem is not the optimal solution. 

I would contend that if one uses the most accurate components to begin with, there are fewer problems, less pronounced problems to deal with. Synergy would be best with most natural music.

Bringing said ??? to another system is moot IMO as a synergy or non synergy may exist in different system. What we will learn is if said ??? has a synergy with that system. Yes ? No ?

If I understand you correctly, Charles, I agree. Just because synergy exists in one system with X component does not mean synergy will exist in another system when X component is installed. Each system, using different components will have different problems as well as how deeply the pronounced problems are in that system.

With this in mind, I developed special, proprietary listening tests for the preamplifier, and even amplifier and ics, and some parts such as capacitors. When one can get these truly accurate, then the only variables left are source, speakers, speaker wires, and venue. I find it much easier to work with four variables than seven to achieve idyllic sound, although even 4 variables is a task. That is why I use the motto "Where Music Comes Alive".

Cheers

steve

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:14:17 AM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 10:22:29 AM »
Why would it matter, in absolute terms, whether one component is "better" than another or not? It only matters if it is better within the context of your system (unless you are a retailer selling components, and then it only matters how it sounds in the purchasers system).
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 06:37:46 PM »
Why would it matter, in absolute terms, whether one component is "better" than another or not? It only matters if it is better within the context of your system (unless you are a retailer selling components, and then it only matters how it sounds in the purchasers system).

Hi Bob,

Because all typical systems have multiple problems, not just one problem. That is the key.

If system Z has perfect components, problems will be zero in number and severity. System synergy will be perfect, and music most natural.

As each component in a system deteriorates in sonic quality, more and more problems develop, and with greater severity, and less synergy. The term "synergy" varies all over the place. That term actually means very little. But let's continue.

If one thinks that by purchasing two mediocre systems that one can some how arrive at perfection, perfect synergy, such is not the case in any sense. It just is not going to happen. Personally, I find just about every type of music sounds better with a better system.

Finally, for all, high prices hardly qualifies a component as superior. Usually it is nothing more than aesthetics, and many times marketing tatics that adds to the price. For instance, a choke adds weight and cost, is part of marketing, but actually deteriorates the sonics. Pay  more for less.

On the other hand basic, cheap prices will hardly allow one to purchase quality parts for maximum sonic quality.

When designing, either one is lucky, or one actually knows how to properly design, and listen test a component for most accurate/natural musical quality.

Here is a Whitepaper I wrote decades ago that discusses designing principles, what to look for, what not to look for, why, and with some stats. One will learn a lot that marketers don't want you to know.

http://www.sasaudiolabs.com/sasaudio.htm

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 07:30:57 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage