Author Topic: Need some guidance - help me pick some speakers & Home Theater AVR  (Read 2146 times)

djdube525

We had an incident at our home. It's a long story, but someone drove through a Ford Crown Victoria through our office and adjoining bedroom that we were using for our media room. While everyone is fine (thankfully), there's been some significant damage that's been done to home and contents. Insurance covers replacement cost.

The bedroom/media room is roughly 12'x12' (layout attached). The current speakers are AV123 Onix Mini Stratas. I loved these things, but they are much too big for this room. I was actually debating on replacing them, but held off due to potential shipping.

They are primarily being driven from a Marantz SR7000, and I'm leaning on staying that route for ease and simplicity with another Marantz SR70XX. HDMI switching is a must, but I don't need so many darn channels. We're primarily running 2.1 in that room. Open to other suggestions, but there aren't a whole hell of a lot of stereo AVRs that also have an HDMI switch built in. The one "benefit" of sticking with Marantz, it's harder to argue against the latest and greatest 7K series as that would be the current replacement.

So... we want to go smaller. Not opposed to monitors. I tend to prefer warmer, but "airy" speakers that accentuate female vocals (think Norah Jones), indie folk/rock, etc... depending on size, will also be looking at replacement sub, so they don't have to punch super low. I expect insurance pushback at anything approaching 2.5k.

Thoughts on speakers or AVR?

Any suggestions?

djdube525

Re: Need some guidance - help me pick some speakers & Home Theater AVR
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 05:50:17 PM »
Room pic pre accident

djdube525

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 08:22:02 AM »
Glad you guys are fine. If you’re ok with buying used, the Kef LS 50s are certainly worth considering. Bought mine for $750. I’ll admit I was skeptical, but it’s really a remarkable speaker. Once I read the instructions on placement, it really excelled. It has foam plugs to help fine tune as well.  LF response is limited, though.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 08:43:22 AM »
  PSB, Pioneer, Elac for home theater is all ya need.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.