Author Topic: Introducing ApplePi DAC -- Highest Performance Raspberry Pi DAC  (Read 14691 times)

djdube525

Re: Introducing ApplePi DAC -- Highest Performance Raspberry Pi DAC
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2018, 08:32:46 AM »
I realize this is blasphemous... any plans for a single ended only (non balanced populated?) version to help bring down the price point?

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 08:41:32 PM »
I realize this is blasphemous... any plans for a single ended only (non balanced populated?) version to help bring down the price point?

The full retail price of this board is only $200. How much could it possibly go down?

I am willing to bet that the start up costs of doing a second separate production run and the costs of maintaining dual inventories would more than wipe out any potential savings that might be had from a simpler circuit.

(Not trying to bust your b@lls, but product costing and pricing is what I have done for a living for the past 25 years so I have developed a pretty good gut feel for these kind of things.)

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 08:47:01 PM »
Check out the first ApplePi DAC review by The Audio Beatnik​:

"Ok, specs are great and all, but how did it really sound? Frankly, very good, surprisingly good."

and

"The mid-range and truthiness of the music rivaled that of the other DACs I have on hand that cost significantly more."

http://theaudiobeatnik.com/applepi-dac-review-theres-art-in-this-dac-and-it-shows/

FYI guys, Leo will be doing a demo of the Apple Pi DAC and his Crispin amp for the AudioSyndrome group on Sat April 28th at my home on Long Island.  If any AN members would like to stop over for a listen you are more than welcome.

PM me for details.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 09:01:17 AM »

"Ok, specs are great and all, but how did it really sound? Frankly, very good, surprisingly good."

and

"The mid-range and truthiness of the music rivaled that of the other DACs I have on hand that cost significantly more."

http://theaudiobeatnik.com/applepi-dac-review-theres-art-in-this-dac-and-it-shows/

FYI guys, Leo will be doing a demo of the Apple Pi DAC and his Crispin amp for the AudioSyndrome group on Sat April 28th at my home on Long Island.  If any AN members would like to stop over for a listen you are more than welcome.

PM me for details.

Sounds like great fun. Looking forward to your comments.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
  • How do you like them apples?
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 06:16:26 AM »

The full retail price of this board is only $200. How much could it possibly go down?

I am willing to bet that the start up costs of doing a second separate production run and the costs of maintaining dual inventories would more than wipe out any potential savings that might be had from a simpler circuit.

(Not trying to bust your b@lls, but product costing and pricing is what I have done for a living for the past 25 years so I have developed a pretty good gut feel for these kind of things.)

Tmazz you hit that spot on.

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 06:20:17 AM »
I am not sure if any of you are also on audiocircle...

This would be a good thread to follow if you are interested in the ApplePi DAC:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155479.new#new

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 08:38:42 AM »

and

PM me for details.

Count my ears in.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

djdube525

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 01:57:00 PM »

Where's the ball busting emoji?

Having an alternate BOM where certain components are populated or not is not rocket science. A simple "That is not in our plans at the moment" would have sufficed.

Let's argue for a moment that the current implementation is targeting a "higher" end user. If he were to get down to $120-ish range, might he be able to take volume from someone who would look at one of the other Pi Hat options? I wouldn't expect huge delta's in fixed costs by supporting 2 builds, so would (bad assumption?) uptake in volume for hitting the lower end, while also hitting the upper end drive possibly larger quantity buys (lower part costs)... maybe there wouldn't be that much of a delta in volumes so it's not worth it.

I realize in some eyes it's "only $200"... another way to look at it is that it's 2.5x-3x "comparative options".
<edit>Not suggesting it's not worth the extra money. I do hope he sells a crap ton. I'm only asking if the thought had crossed his mind.</edit>

Perhaps I read too much into "Questions/Comments also welcome."?  :roll:

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:00:35 PM by djdube525 »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 04:30:19 PM »

oo/

Your wish is my command ;)

djdube525

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 06:04:00 PM »
Your wish is my command ;)

Ahahahahahahaha... thanks Rich!  :rofl:

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 06:36:48 PM »

Having an alternate BOM where certain components are populated or not is not rocket science. A simple "That is not in our plans at the moment" would have sufficed.

Let's argue for a moment that the current implementation is targeting a "higher" end user. If he were to get down to $120-ish range, might he be able to take volume from someone who would look at one of the other Pi Hat options? I wouldn't expect huge delta's in fixed costs by supporting 2 builds, so would (bad assumption?) uptake in volume for hitting the lower end, while also hitting the upper end drive possibly larger quantity buys (lower part costs)... maybe there wouldn't be that much of a delta in volumes so it's not worth it.

I realize in some eyes it's "only $200"... another way to look at it is that it's 2.5x-3x "comparative options".
<edit>Not suggesting it's not worth the extra money. I do hope he sells a crap ton. I'm only asking if the thought had crossed his mind.</edit>

Perhaps I read too much into "Questions/Comments also welcome."?  :roll:

I had considered a cheaper version, with no XLR connectors and cheaper operational amplifiers. But cheaper would not be $120 it would still be more than $150. I figured that's not enough of a cost difference.

Just removing the xlr connectors would make it 10 dollars cheaper.

Any significant cost reduction would also significantly hamper performance, and would result in more then just BOM change.

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2018, 11:31:25 AM »
Would anybody here be intrested in being part of an ApplePi DAC tour.

Basically you get to use it for a week and then you ship it to the next person, then hopefully post your feedback and thoughts.

I currently have 5 people from another forum, The board will be shipped out to the 2nd person next week.

Let me know if you are intrested or have have any questions.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2018, 05:04:21 PM »
Would anybody here be intrested in being part of an ApplePi DAC tour.

Basically you get to use it for a week and then you ship it to the next person, then hopefully post your feedback and thoughts.

I currently have 5 people from another forum, The board will be shipped out to the 2nd person next week.

Let me know if you are intrested or have have any questions.

Haven’t tried computer audio, but would enjoy reading some user reviews
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2018, 04:33:22 AM »
Haven’t tried computer audio, but would enjoy reading some user reviews
Nick

Here is the first user review:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155479.msg1677776#msg1677776

"I highly suggest that folks sign up for the tour to hear this wonderful device.

I spent a good week listening to it and came away extremely impressed with what Leo has done with this DAC hat.

For anyone that is using a Squeezebox Touch or similar unit, they should find this to be an quite an upgrade.

I did compare it to a DAC I built with AK4990 DAC chip and Salas shunt regulators DIY modular DAC
I really could not pick one over the other. The sonic difference was completely dependent on the file being played. I feel both units are very transparent.

For under $250, the combination of a Rpi and the ApplePi DAC board is an outright bargain in today's audio world.

When it is released, I will be buying one."

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2018, 02:01:13 PM »
For those that may be interested: