Author Topic: Affordable Nos Dacs - Ross Martin, Teradak  (Read 7688 times)

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
Re: Affordable Nos Dacs - Ross Martin, Teradak
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 09:35:57 PM »

If ya want to try a Promitheous transformer coupled  DAC with NOS chip I have one that serverd me well for many a year.

Charles, Yes I saw this model. Unfortunately, I came across this after buying the one I have now. The tubed version looks very interesting.

Offline malloy

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 10:00:39 PM »

Glad you posted. I was curious how things were going with this dac. I don’t know anything about the Meridian dac you have, so I’d appreciate more info on that as to features and pricing. Are you considering buying one of the NOS dacs you mentioned?

Nick, the Direct or Director (US version) sells for $700 new. I got mine at half the price. It was an upgrade from the aging Parasound Z-dac I had in terms of more detail retrieval, better transparency, and especially dynamic contrast, but long term listening proved fatiguing to  my ears. Maybe it is only giving me what is on the recording, as I listen to a lot of badly recorded pop music.

It upsamples everything to 24/ 88 and can go up to 192. https://www.meridian-audio.com/media/5601/direct-data-sheet.pdf.  Clean, clear sound in keeping with the Meridian house sound(?) (from hearing other Meridian products), but this is more a budget Meridian. It doesn't do MQA like the smaller explorer. It is USB powered but you have to use a wal-wart if you want to use SPDIF or coaxial.  I was able to coax better sound through it by running a Wyred4Sound usb recovery.  Exciting sound, but maybe too hi-fi(?) sounding. I've read other users accusing Meridian products of sounding analytical or clinical in general.*  I wish I read his about this before parting with my money.  :duh   

As for the other NOS dacs...I very much want to try them all - but mine wallet doth protest too much!!!  :lol:  I've been saving up for a proper rig to replace the computer-based system I have at present. Maybe an SOTM, Sony Hap server or the Auralic mini?

*This quote came from Paul McGowan himself of PS Audio." I have heard many a Meridian DAC and honestly I wouldn’t have one of them in my listening room – their sound is just so sterile–clinical actually..." from: http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/mqa-support-within-the-directstream-dac/

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:10:12 PM by malloy »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 07:24:13 AM »

Paul,
That clinical, analytical sound is what I’m striving to avoid as I’m working on rebuilding my system.
I have the Auralic Mini that you mentioned. It’s a very good and inexpensive product. I bought a dedicated power supply for it. Their DS Lightning app works quite well, although I have been using Roon instead. My dac budget will be somewhat limited depending on what I can get for my Antelope Gold.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 11:26:42 AM »
Wow! This Border Patrol one looks special. Gotta save up and upgrade from my el cheapo equipment!!

I'm interested at this one from MHDT Labs :

Its got a tube and a glass front panel which reminds me of DNM amps.

What if your name isn't B U R T ...???  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline malloy

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 08:46:05 PM »
Wow! This Border Patrol one looks special. Gotta save up and upgrade from my el cheapo equipment!!

I'm interested at this one from MHDT Labs :

Its got a tube and a glass front panel which reminds me of DNM amps.

What if your name isn't B U R T ...???  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SN

BART then? I had to find out on their website what the acronym meant!  :thumb: An odd cosmetic decision given the otherwise nice looks of the unit, don't you think?

Offline malloy

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 08:58:48 PM »

Paul,
That clinical, analytical sound is what I’m striving to avoid as I’m working on rebuilding my system.
I have the Auralic Mini that you mentioned. It’s a very good and inexpensive product. I bought a dedicated power supply for it. Their DS Lightning app works quite well, although I have been using Roon instead. My dac budget will be somewhat limited depending on what I can get for my Antelope Gold.
Nick

Hi NIck,

Yes. Best to stay away from Meridian. I already paired the Direct dac with my Bottlehead crack and an RCA 6as7 tube (a lush and round sounding tube) and still the midrange bothers me.  In the thread I mentioned they're saying that Meridian dacs might sound wonderful - if processed with MQA (another can of worms). For some reason they abandoned MQA support with the DIrect but not for he smaller Explorer dac.

A few questions about your Aualic:

What storage device are you using with it? I read that you can install an HDD internally?
How does the stock on-board dac sound?
What power supply did you get for it? I've seen some very good ones such as the sBooster but  these cost more than the Aries itself.

I am looking for an all-in-one solution so I can get rid of the computer entirely. 

Paul

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 09:40:52 PM »

Paul,
Nick

Hi NIck,

Yes. Best to stay away from Meridian. I already paired the Direct dac with my Bottlehead crack and an RCA 6as7 tube (a lush and round sounding tube) and still the midrange bothers me.  In the thread I mentioned they're saying that Meridian dacs might sound wonderful - if processed with MQA (another can of worms). For some reason they abandoned MQA support with the DIrect but not for he smaller Explorer dac.

A few questions about your Aualic:

What storage device are you using with it? I read that you can install an HDD internally?
How does the stock on-board dac sound?
What power supply did you get for it? I've seen some very good ones such as the sBooster but  these cost more than the Aries itself.

I am looking for an all-in-one solution so I can get rid of the computer entirely. 

Paul

Paul,
I use a 500 G usb external drive. Just plug it in. You can use an internal drive and I have one laying around somewhere, but that’s for another day. It’s been ages, but the stock dac sounded pretty good. But I ordered the Auralic and the Mojo Audio power supply at the same time and basically just broke those in together. I paid too much for the Mojo ps...over $500, but don’t tell anybody 🤫
Yes, I am prone to overkill. But it’s a wonderful combo. I looked at the s booster, but frankly didn’t care for the look of it. You could probably get a reasonably priced power supply, but I really can’t recommend something. Maybe some of the guys can chime in.
I think the Mini needs about 16 volts, but that’s just from memory.
When I get around to the new dac, the Border Patrol and dB Audio Labs will be at the top of the list....assuming there’s enough money left......
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 11:04:03 PM »
Nick,

Alright! Do tell us what dac you decide on. I'd go for the Border Patrol and a new music server - but my coffers have become empty as of late!  ](*,) 

Paul

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2017, 07:25:27 AM »
Nick,

Alright! Do tell us what dac you decide on. I'd go for the Border Patrol and a new music server - but my coffers have become empty as of late!  ](*,) 

Paul

Will do, Paul.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2017, 05:03:09 PM »
I have an old Sonic Frontiers Assem ?? If ya want I can send it to ya to play with.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.