Author Topic: need recommendation re integrated amp  (Read 19671 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: need recommendation re integrated amp
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 06:05:58 PM »
An update on the integrateds search. Have been doing lots of reading and my favorites so far are the
VPI 299D, Cary SLI-80 or the Fi version and Primaluna Dialog Premium. I’ve eliminated others that have very limited power or they’re simply too expensive, even on the used market. Another option I would consider is the Audio Hungary preamp that Charles highly recommends and Folsom’s amp.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2018, 11:01:38 PM »
An update on the integrateds search. Have been doing lots of reading and my favorites so far are the
VPI 299D, Cary SLI-80 or the Fi version and Primaluna Dialog Premium. I’ve eliminated others that have very limited power or they’re simply too expensive, even on the used market. Another option I would consider is the Audio Hungary preamp that Charles highly recommends and Folsom’s amp.

I have heard the VPI on several occasions and was very impressed with it, although I think you might have a tough time finding one for $2k or under.

I have not heard the Prima Luna integrated, but did like what I heard from their stand alone preamp.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2018, 07:25:31 AM »

I have heard the VPI on several occasions and was very impressed with it, although I think you might have a tough time finding one for $2k or under.

I have not heard the Prima Luna integrated, but did like what I heard from their stand alone preamp.

Good to know you’ve actually heard and liked it. There are actually a couple of the used VPI’s on the market for $2,000 and $2,200
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Hugh

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2018, 02:42:52 PM »
Nick,

I may have a demo Melody AN211 laying around somewhere.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2018, 06:29:25 PM »
Nick,

I may have a demo Melody AN211 laying around somewhere.

Sending a PM
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2018, 07:54:48 PM »

Good to know you’ve actually heard and liked it. There are actually a couple of the used VPI’s on the market for $2,000 and $2,200

That's a really good price.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2018, 10:21:52 AM »
...Sonically, from what I’ve read and Gary’s use of the Primaluna amp, that might be a good solution.

Nick

FWIW, I have a Primaluna Prologue pre-amp in my system that sounds really good. I can't imagine their integrated sounding bad.

My 2¢

Bill
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2018, 12:55:06 PM »
...Sonically, from what I’ve read and Gary’s use of the Primaluna amp, that might be a good solution.

Nick

FWIW, I have a Primaluna Prologue pre-amp in my system that sounds really good. I can't imagine their integrated sounding bad.

My 2¢

Bill

Bill,
AN member Gary has the Primaluna amp and loves it. I think I’d be quite satisfied if I got one. Thanks for your 2 cents
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline jbilos

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2018, 08:46:02 PM »
Rogue Cronus Magnum II (auditioned this past weekend, excellent warm sound)
Primaluna Prologue
Jolida 3602s

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2018, 09:24:25 PM »
Rogue Cronus Magnum II (auditioned this past weekend, excellent warm sound)
Primaluna Prologue
Jolida 3602s

Hi John,
I read a bit on the Cronus and it seems like an excellent integrated. Now that my new speakers are finally being made, I’ll be able to make a decision soon. I am looking for a warmer sound, but not at the expense of losing a lot of detail. What it is your opinion about that, or would you need to audition it in your home?
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2018, 11:02:06 PM »
here's a list of integrated amps i have tried and really liked.  (yes, some quite vintage, but i'd say they're more than competitive w/the current offerings:
- revox b251 (remote available)
- sansui au11000
- sansui au717
- thule ia100 (remote)
- audio innovations alto
- alchemist (any)
i also like these, cuz they offer main ins/pre outs (except the audio innovations & alchemist).  which means you could insert an active eq in the chain, and use an outboard amp for subs, and have your mains seeing only the higher frequencies w/another (tube?) amp.  ;)  and, i also like their tape monitor loops, which allow you to hook up something like a dbx 3bx, which really is nice to have for compressed software, and can be removed from the signal path when not used.

other integrateds i would recommend based on my experience w/other product by the same mfr are
- creek (esp the 5350se)
- revox b150
- revox b250
- electrocompaniet (any)
- arcam
- mesa tigris (no tape loop, but does have a pre out)
- manley stingray

doug s.

Interesting you should mention Revox. I had one of their fine tuners years ago. There are a number of these companies I haven’t heard of and will do searches. Certainly I’ve heard of sansui, but im a bit surprised it would be included in your list. Maybe i can get my speakers in 3 weeks. Then the fun begins....
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2018, 10:35:05 PM »
hi nick!

in my endless internet meanderings, i came across this, and it made me think of you.

reviews:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/finale/1.html

http://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/finale-audios-vivace-minis-hearing-is-believing/

mfr:
http://www.finaleaudio.com/the-new-vivace-mini/

mfr, soon-to-be-released:
http://www.finaleaudio.com/final-voc/

it also makes me realize that i really do need to unbox the gemme audio tanto's i bought several years ago, yet still remain in their boxes.   :roll:
and, you may want to peruse the web for used gemme audio offerings - same designer.  as well as designer of arteluthe speakers.

doug s.

Hello Doug,
Interesting that you would send info on this speaker. It’s rather amazing it can perform this well with
2 3/4” drivers. My new Mark Audio drivers are a whopping 4 1/2”. My cabinet size will be similar, but not as deep. As I’m trying to accommodate my wife’s wishes, I came across this cabinet which we both liked.
http://frugal-phile.com/

The shape looked quite nice and it has a small footprint. It will likely be bamboo and don’t know about the stain yet. The tweak in the design will allow the cabinet to be placed near the rear wall to increase the bass. To me, it’s a toss up whether this will compare with the lower end of my just sold SP Techs. That speaker had quite a “presence”. Although i prefer not do, I am prepared to use a sub if necessary.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2018, 09:41:30 AM »
Hello Doug,
Interesting that you would send info on this speaker. It’s rather amazing it can perform this well with
2 3/4” drivers. My new Mark Audio drivers are a whopping 4 1/2”. My cabinet size will be similar, but not as deep. As I’m trying to accommodate my wife’s wishes, I came across this cabinet which we both liked.
http://frugal-phile.com/

The shape looked quite nice and it has a small footprint. It will likely be bamboo and don’t know about the stain yet. The tweak in the design will allow the cabinet to be placed near the rear wall to increase the bass. To me, it’s a toss up whether this will compare with the lower end of my just sold SP Techs. That speaker had quite a “presence”. Although i prefer not do, I am prepared to use a sub if necessary.
Nick
nick,

curious which cabinet are you planning to use - the link you sent goes to a plethora of cabinets!

re: bass, i suspect that you will be wanting subs, regardless of which single-driver speaker you go with.  and i say subs, not sub.  you really do need a pair, set up in stereo just like the mains, in order not to degrade the soundstaging; regardless of what anyone says re: bass not being directional.  it's also much easier to integrate two (or more) subs into a room due to lessening of room node issue vs one sub.  and, summing bass to mono typically also introduces signal cancellation, meaning you are not always getting the full reproduction of what's on the recording.  if you have to do mono bass, my experience is that the least worst option is to have the sub directly in the middle of the two speakers, and nearfield is best.  even if it means having to move it during listening sessions.

doug s.

Doug,
The plan was to use a modification of this cabinet. As to the subs, I understand exactly what you’re saying. Per a recent email from the designer, there are some issues to be worked out. At least I hope we can work them out.....
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2018, 04:06:27 PM »

Doug,
The plan was to use a modification of this cabinet. As to the subs, I understand exactly what you’re saying. Per a recent email from the designer, there are some issues to be worked out. At least I hope we can work them out.....
Nick
so, the cabinet is to be like the one shown in the pic - much wider than deep?  since you said it was similar to the vivace mini, i assumed it was one of the other cabinets from that site, as the vivace mini's cabinets are barely wider than the drivers.

i hope you work out the issue - those cabinets in the pic look cool...

doug s.

Yes, a bit wider than deep. That is/was the plan anyway. More to follow....soon
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2018, 10:13:08 AM »
Now that I’ve purchased and am quite happy with the kef LS 50s, I’m again considering an amp or integrated. I’ve read all the recommendations and am also considering class D or the new ice 1200as module amps. Rich raves about his custom made unit and I’ve looked at the Nord website and also Bellissimo, Apollon, Rouge and Mivera.
https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/products
https://www.apollonaudio.com/apollon-audio-as1200-class-d-ice-power-based-amplifier/
https://www.rougeaudiodesign.com/1200as-en
https://www.miveraaudio.com/product-page/purepower-standard-icepower-1200as2-2-channel-amp
https://www.facebook.com/BellissimoAudio/posts/392672937831624
So there are lots of choices and the icepower amps are very reasonably priced. I’m looking for an integrated icepower amp, but haven’t looked at the sites closely enough and haven’t found anything via a search. Seems the ideal combination would be an icepower 1200as would a tube pre in ine chassis.
It would be interesting to know the differences in these amps vs Rich’s tweaked ice 1200.
Nick
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:14:51 AM by Nick B »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz