Poll

What would you prefer to see

Tube Preamp / Hybrid Class D Amplifier (Separates)
0 (0%)
Integrated Hybrid Class D Amplifier
5 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: August 13, 2017, 10:55:35 AM

Author Topic: POLL: Affordable Separates or Affordable Integrated Hybrid?  (Read 4422 times)

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
Re: POLL: Affordable Separates or Affordable Integrated Hybrid?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 02:38:12 PM »
Thank you both for the honest feedback.

I might have to disagree with the tube/Class D combo. Over the past few years, a good number of our preamps went to customers running Class D based amplifiers.  While obviously not eeveyones preference, the market for this combination does seem to be growing as Class D amps become much better and become more popular.

Either you'll tolerate the obsolete tubes for the sound, or you want energy savings and low impedance and modern technology, in class D

I can understand this reasoning when it come to amplifiers but many tube preamps are not current hungry heat monsters. Now.it is becoming more about the sound.

Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 04:38:47 PM »
Personally I feel that tubes have to be somewhere in the system and a tube preamp makes a lot of sense. Now that class D is relatively affordable as cheap power it only makes sense to try and "enlighten" its presentation by putting tubes in front of it. Building anything with tubes isn't necessarily cheap though, especially in the required power supply, but perhaps the costs can be contained in the actual amplification circuitry? I don't know, but whatever it is it should be relatively compact and inexpensive and powerful enough for the average system, and look trendy.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »
Based on the feedback here and from our customers over the years, we will move forward with an integrated hyrbid. I know it wont be everyones cup of tea.....nothing is EVERYONE'S cup off tea but we are confident it will be a viable product.
I want to get away from the term 'affordable' as this is a very subjective term. We hope this piece becomes knows as a good 'value'. Based on the feedback from our customers who have custom built versions of this piece and the piece I have run personally in my system,  I beleive we will be able to make a lot of music lovers very happy.

I want to thank everyone who took the time to jot down their thoughts.
Design Engineer
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 08:22:19 AM »
 Bill as an owner and Dealer of Hybrid class"D" amps I concur with your findings. I would like DUAL MONO INTEGRATED amp with a tubed Preamp section and hybrid class "D" output.
A huge fan of dual mono. My personal system is ALL dual mono.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 02:31:32 PM »
Hi charles. I am also a fan of dual mono which is why we have the Lusso preamp. U.fortunately, doing this integrated in a dual mono configuration would mean 2 chassis or one very large one, as well as additional cost well beyond the target price point.
Design Engineer