Author Topic: Has anybody ever heard of Electrocompaniet?  (Read 4704 times)

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
Has anybody ever heard of Electrocompaniet?
« on: April 15, 2017, 06:13:23 AM »
Ok now a serious question to stir everyone up.

Has anybody ever heard of this brand? I think they are based in Norway. The mono blocks and pre-amps I saw seemed to be well made and of high quality. They sounded very nice as well. They should considering their target price range. Their speakers sounded nice, but I have heard better and for less money than they were asking for them.

I cannot find any mention of them in TAS or Stereophile as far as advertisements or reviews. But that don't mean nothing.

Anybody familiar with this brand?  :o
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Has anybody ever heard of Electrocompaniet?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 02:18:02 PM »
Heard of the name but not much else. Link?

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 03:43:50 PM »
Here is the link to the site.

http://electrocompaniet.com/
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline hogg

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 03:44:51 PM »
Yes, I've heard their products on several occasions, especially the mono-blocs and CDP's. They make excellent products.  The sound was a touch on the warmer side of neutral but not too warm.  One of the better transistor amps in the 2000's.  I believe they lost distribution in the U.S. several years ago and as a result fell off the radar.  

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/

Jim
Strong as an Ox and twice as smart

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 04:23:17 PM »
  I agree with Hogg 100%. Great looking gear. Very easy on the ears.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 10:27:05 AM »
hi all,

long time no see/hear.  here's a cut-n-paste from 2010; from a forum where i am still persona-non-grata.   ;)

i had some pretty decent s/s preamps before i went tubular.  electrocompaniet ec-1a, then linn kairn.  these were really nice.  but the melos ma333r i ended up with was more like real music, in comparison.  that said, i can't say all tube preamps are the real thing.  i would choose either the linn or the ec over rogue magnum 99, cary slp98 or audio research sp9mkll, the pre's i auditioned in my system before i found the melos.  (this was ~15 years ago; i had it modded a few years back and it's still in my system; new preamps are one component i really don't have much interest in auditioning...   8) )

i still have and use and enjoy a pair of aw75dmb amps, tho they usually now serve as subwoofer amps, since my speaker choices and amp choices are all over the place...  i agree that ec gear is typically a bit warmer than other s/s gear - which is a good thing, imo.  and still detailed...

doug s.
(it's funny how, when you're searching for audio info on the web, you may find something off-tangent, that leads you to make a post.  i was searching for single-driver cabinets; came across an a/n brines post, and then found this!   :D)

I'm quite familiar with the EC name, especially in the 90's. It had a good reputation if I recall correctly and looked great. Funny you should mention Linn. When I got into audio, one of my earlier purchases was a Linn amp. I had it for a while and then switched to....I don't know what 😳 This was so early in my audio "career" , I couldn't tell you if it was a good performer or not. I don't believe it got rave reviews. Now if you were a "Linnie" (enthusiast) then all of their stuff sounded great. I also had a Linn LP12 TT with their Ittok arm. It was a good table, but I had one song on an album that caused horrible ringing. I took that album to a dealer one time and whatever the table was, it had a Morch arm. That arm played it without any problems. It was really an eye opener for an audio newbie like me.
As to preamps, I haven't used a real one for a while. My Antelope dac has an analog volume control and works fine. But I sure would be curious what a regular preamp would sound like
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 03:47:14 PM »
Their tech on scaling power usage is very cool. That's all I know.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 04:19:29 PM »
Agree with the others.  One of those brands that can make average speakers sound WAY better than they normally do.  Control, current, SPEED, clarity, etc.  All the things I look for.
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 09:26:40 PM »
...As to preamps, I haven't used a real one for a while. My Antelope dac has an analog volume control and works fine. But I sure would be curious what a regular preamp would sound like
Nick
sorry for the thread hijack, but if this is in good condition, it's a STEAL!
http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649335884-melos-333-tube-preamplifier-and-tube-phono-stage/
(it's also offered on agon, for $300 more.)
and mark porzilli, the original melos designer is now refurb'ing and modding melos gear again, yay!  i just got my ma333r (w/o phono stage) refurb'd and upgraded, which is an encouragement to set up my system, after a tumultuous move.

back to ec - note the amp output ratings - huge, for the power ratings.  they can drive most anything...  my aw75dmb's, 75wpc/8 ohms, are rated at 80A current...

doug s.

With upgrades, a bit much for me. After the recent discussions here, my next venture might be smaller ....than the SP Techs....2 ways with a sub.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »
Now that I'm getting the Nola Brio Trio speakers, my brain is fast forwarding to something else. As I'm toying with the idea of computer audio next and would need a preamp at some point,  I searched re the EC Melos and found some interesting info. It's very smooth sounding, but maybe a teeny bit noisy. If the ldr's stop working, there aren't any replacements. But a Tortuga board can be substituted. It's very stylish, but the upgrade costs must be pretty pricey. If you wish Doug, pls post the cost of the deluxe upgrade. If that's too private, I understand.
I do have my Audience pseudo passive preamp of years ago and may fire it up one of these days
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 07:47:11 PM »
Yes, Doug. I did get that confused. My interest was in the Melos. I'd likely need remote control. If I do computer audio, volume would be controlled digitally. But with my phono stage added, it would be via the ldr's or another pot. I might even do home theater at some point. So it's interesting to think about the possibilities.
The 1k upgrade cost seems very reasonable. I don't know Mark Porzillis age, but I presume he'll offer this upgrade for a couple of years at least. As to the tube mod,  would that entail drilling holes in the chassis?
I appreciate the extra information about the Melos. It's certainly a viable option down the road.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 02:03:49 PM »
https://www.thememoryplayer.net/about-us

Thanks, Rich. Interesting article. I certainly remember the Pipedream speakers as well. An innovator ahead of his time.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS