Author Topic: Attenuators ???  (Read 8781 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Attenuators ???
« on: January 04, 2016, 07:26:22 AM »
  It is time to change out the pots in my loesch & weisner preamp. getting scratchy and affecting balance.
   Noble pots in the preamp. Do I go for Goldpoint ? Audionote ? TKD ? Komenko ? Seiden ? Other ??
   It appears ladder types rule, but then again the noble AP25 is well liked. Is it low price or function ? Price is NOT an issue for me. Quality is.
    Audio note or Goldpoint right now are my choices. Convince me on what type . Ladder or pot and why. Thanks.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Attenuators ???
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 12:19:57 PM »
Clean the pot you have first, as it is part of the famous original recipe. Cleaning pots is normal maintenance. Use plain electronic cleaner spray, not Caig Gold.

Changing the original pot will change the sound of it, upset the original voicing and lower the resale value, imo.

If it is damaged and cleaning doesn't fix it, try to replace with similar part. If can't find it, go for ALPS pot to maintain similar sound and function.

If you want to mod it for better performance, I would get the goldpoint for best sound quality, but it has limited step resolution. Another option is the ALPS Remote Volume System from bentaudio.com for $130.

From what I saw of the preamp design online there are more valuable opportunities for modding than the VC. But any mod will change the sound of the famous historic component. If you want different sound, better to sell it whole (after repairing the VC) and move on. Just my op-onion

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 04:56:20 PM »
Rollo,my first choice would be the DACT pot. This is what is in the buffer/preamp you heard at my house.
It is possible that the AMTRANS and CONNEX brand of attenuators from Parts Connexion might be sonically equal to or superior to the DACT attenuators but I don't want to experiment.
Scotty

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 03:03:08 PM »
Changing out the pot to.a higher quality piece might enhance it. Change is not always a bad thing.
Should you decide to go that route. The Goldpoint would.be my first choice but nothing wrong with the DACT or Khozmo. I prefer step attenuators.
The upper end TKD is also a great pot and might be closer to the sound of what's in there now.. The Noble and Alps are very good in the <$100 options.
You just have to.decide which direction to go in.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline _Scotty_

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 04:37:34 PM »
The Goldpoint pots offer an option that is unavailable from the manufacters, a 47 position stepped attenuator. I would like the fine tuning option for volume control this offers. All of the rest of the manufacturers offering this type of pot are limited to 24 steps.
Scotty 

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 04:41:06 PM »
   Thanks guys. Richidoo was trying to spray but where. No hole I can see to get into box. Then again I do not see well. Sprayed on post however no affect so far.
   Still lurking.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 04:43:03 PM »
The Goldpoint pots offer an option that is unavailable from the manufacters, a 47 position stepped attenuator. I would like the fine tuning option for volume control this offers. All of the rest of the manufacturers offering this type of pot are limited to 24 steps.
Scotty  

I agree I'm liking the 47 steps with 1% resistors. There is always Penny & gile for mega bicks or the TDK 2CP-2511 for $ 750. C'mon.

charles

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 06:00:56 PM »
   Thanks guys. Richidoo was trying to spray but where. No hole I can see to get into box. Then again I do not see well. Sprayed on post however no affect so far.
   Still lurking.

charles

I had a 10-way rotary switch like that on my Manley 300Bs, no access for cleaning and it was scratching and noisy like crazy. I removed the knob and filled up the switch a few times through the gap around the shaft with radio shack contact cleaner spray with the little red aiming tube. You can aim the shaft vertical so the liquid flows down the shaft into the pot. Even if the gap is not visible the cleaner will go down there. Put it in as fast as possible to try to "fill it up," turning the knob quickly back and forth while the cleaner drips out. Repeat a few times.  If it doesn't work then maybe there is scratch damage on the element, but I think that would be extremely unlikely. Are there any screws on the pot for disassembly? Part number? Maybe it's still a current production part. I agree with Bill, an upgrade pot would be a worthwhile upgrade if you can't fix it. Disregard my previous too serious comments. It's just a toy, have fun with it! :)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 12:59:57 PM »
  OK cleaned the sucker and NO MORE SCRATCHY sound. Thanks everyone for the input. Deoxit brilliant!!!

charles

Offline _Scotty_

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 04:18:08 PM »
Charles, how old is the pre-amp? If it is maybe 10 years old you could be looking at wear as well as corrosion, which means that the problem may return in an unreasonably short time.
 A Goldpoint pot could be in your immediate future.
Scotty

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 08:04:52 AM »
Charles, how old is the pre-amp? If it is maybe 10 years old you could be looking at wear as well as corrosion, which means that the problem may return in an unreasonably short time.
 A Goldpoint pot could be in your immediate future.
Scotty

For now all is well however the Goldpoint is tempting. Very tempting.

charles