Author Topic: searching for a Super Bowl deal on a new TV  (Read 16381 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
searching for a Super Bowl deal on a new TV
« on: January 16, 2013, 12:13:22 PM »
So we rearranged the living room this past weekend, spreading some furniture out and opening it up. After sitting in one of the chairs I casually mentioned that the TV might be hard to see from here. My wife, Laura then said, "well, maybe we should start searching for a larger TV."

You could have knocked me over with a stick.

So I'm searching for a 60" plasma to hang on the wall, and hoping to get a good Super Bowl deal. Here's what I've uncovered so far ...

- I really don't need a 3D TV since you can't rent movies, buying them is expensive, the 2D-3D conversion isn't very good yet. However, the 3D TV's seem to have better overall picture quality than the 2D models, per the reviews. So it's more of a buy the better picture and it will probably have a 3D feature included already.
- I really want a plasma, not a sketchy back lit LED or LCD with that cartoony and surrelistic picture quality.
- Panasonics seem to still have the best picture quality per the reviews, but Samsung seems to be very close and is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper in comperable models.

So, what can you guys recommend? What should I be considering? What else do I need to know?

Thanks,
Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: searching for a Super Bowl deal on a new TV
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 12:44:46 PM »
Seems like you've already made up your mind. I agree that Plasma is definitely the way to go for best PQ. I have 2 of them. A Panny and an LG. Don't have 3D so I can't comment on that.

With prices so low, I would look to get the best possible TV with the bells and whistles that excite you. Most of the new TVs support streaming movies and other content from the web. Wireless should be the way to go with that or new Blu Ray player could also work. My tvs & Blu Ray are older so don't have that functionality.

Not sure if you've owned a plasma before. Biggest issue with them is reflection. Depending on open windows and room lighting, that can be a big issue if you're a stickler for picture quality. Plasma screen is glass and some of them reflect more light than others do.

Regarding wall mount, i would get an arm that has full funtionality so you can tilt up/down and side to side. Those can be pricey so look on Monoprice for their full function arm. About $100 with shipping when I bought mine a few years ago. It's a keeper. I assume you have studs readily available to mount it to. My wall was weird so I had to mount a piece of plywood and then attach the arm to that for full support.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 01:08:26 PM »
Bob just bought a 60" Samsung LED. No 3D at PC Richards. No turning back for me. Love it.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 02:01:04 PM »
My wife said nearly same thing to me before Christmas. She saw Sharp Aquos 60" LCD playing college football at the pizza shop and decided she had to have that. I like Toshiba TVs, but everything Korean is hot now.

The only bad thing is she wants to put it between my hifi speakers. The other bad thing is not for this SuperBowl.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 05:32:08 PM »
Got an Ebay deals link in my email today...showed this 60" plasma tv....

Link...

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 06:29:53 AM »
Thanks guys. Yeah, some deals are showing up already. I figure I have about a week to decide, so I'm going to drop by Best Buy this weekend and check some of their stock out to make sure I like what I see.

Offline JBryan

• Seeking Help
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 07:02:43 AM »
I'd suggest you check out Dealnews.com as they list most good deals available (in-store and online) and some are spectacular but short-lived.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 07:07:52 AM »
I prefer PC Richards to Best Buy.  You can haggle a bit with them on price, delivery charges or on extended warranties.
I think an extended warranty should be considered.

I wouldn't consider buying over the net. Just don't trust FedEX/UPS with plasmas

"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 07:22:45 AM »
one of my distributors is blowing out LG 60 inch models right now.  The 5500 model is priced the same as that ebay link...

I'm a fan of LG.  I'm about to hit 4 years I think on the 60 incher in my living room... just as good as the day I bought it...  it's taking all my willpower not to get one of the 5500 models to put in the bedroom with how ridiculous the price is....

I love the Kuro technology from Pioneer that Panasonic (who bought it and licensed it) seem to be introducing with a new upper end line coming soon (they showed it at CES).  Panasonic went through a couple years of issues in their implementations that I believe were fixed in the 2012 models..

LG was always a value buy in my opinion... lots of great features, easy calibration with everything out in the main menus to easily access and tweak, and upper middle to very top picture quality for prices that were always on the lower end.  They've all squeezed into a narrow range on price lately... but you won't go wrong with an LG or a Panasonic...

I've personally never been a fan of Samsung... too many issues in my experience with them.  I stopped even mentioning I could get them because it just was too much headache and support time.  

video, especially flat panels, are a super razor thin margin product... TV manufacturers are notorious for cutting completely different prices for different vendors depending on how much volume they are willing to commit to... most of the warehouse based outfits survive by getting a volume price that puts their sale price to the public less than what smaller guys can actually buy the product for...

$800 for the LG or Panasonic is such a stupid good deal....  it's hilarious to see given that my cost on the unit I have in my living room was ~$3500 when I bought it.... and this unit likely has better picture quality than the one I have... not as nice frame/bezel/speaker system/etc.  But better panel contrast ratio, etc. likely for sure...
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 07:26:02 AM »
Try Vann's.  Great prices, usually no tax and free delivery.

http://www.vanns.com/?v_c=netelixir&ne_ppc_id=705&ne_key_id=15238995&ne_sadid=13515937967
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 07:31:14 AM »
I prefer PC Richards to Best Buy.  You can haggle a bit with them on price, delivery charges or on extended warranties.
I think an extended warranty should be considered.

I wouldn't consider buying over the net. Just don't trust FedEX/UPS with plasmas

60" flat panels ship via freight carrier... fedex/ups won't touch flat panels, even the new, super thin units that are under their weight restrictions...  they might ship smaller stuff like the 32" and under stuff...

Some warehouse outfits are getting the squeeze to charge sales taxes in individual states...  I was surprised to see sales tax charged by Amazon when I had a wedding registry gift purchased on there and shipped directly to the couple rather than send it here and me re-ship.  I wouldn't pay tax to ship it here to NC, but they charged tax since the final destination was New York....

The only thing I've ever been a proponent of buying an extended warranty for has been flat panels... they are more and more reliable as time goes on... but with the glass in a plasma, if you whack it accidentally, you have to replace the whole panel and the parts usually end up being more than buying a whole new unit...  shop around on that though as prices vary wildly...   I can speak highly of CPS Central warranties...  no hassle and good service if you have to use it based on my past experiences.
Shane Sangster

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 09:18:19 AM »
I second checking out Onecall or Vanns if haggling at PC Richards won't work for you. I've dealt with Onecall and Vanns through the years and it has always been good. When I bought my TV from them it was shipped via freight.

Now as for Plasma screen I always think of Pioneer/Panasonic. I was told to get the most out of them though they need pro calibration and the guy that does it charges over $250 to do it but the picture quality is worth it.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »
I dropped by Best Buy today at lunch to look some things over.

- no question - the 3D capable TV models definitely have a better picture than the non-3D models, but at almost twice the price
- the Samsung definitely has a brighter picture than the Panasonics, however the details and realism and depth of field on the Panasonics are absolutely better
- apparently the Samsung 70-00 series and better has an anti glare screen, same for the Panasonic GT series and better. Worth having?  :dunno: More money.  :(
- all of these TV's now have their internal speakers on the back of the unit. At full out volume they just might be OK to listen to, but barely so. You really need to turn this all on with an integrated home theater receiver, and that means a modern one with appropriate HDMI connections to act as a hub. More, more money.
- Samsung is offering a free (included) 3d Blue Ray player when you buy a listed model via Amazon. A nice  bonus.

I need to check out the LG's a bit more now.

Offline machinehead

• Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 12:51:13 PM »
I have a Samsung LED 3DTV and it has the speaker on the back. It goes plenty loud so no worries. But you need to hook it up to a surround or 2.1 with a sub for full movie immersion...
and thanking the wife in....
:)
Its cool ndude.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 01:15:58 PM »
make sure the models you are looking at are not in "torch" mode or have their settings all jacked up...  picture quality can vary wildly depending on what they've got turned on or off in the menus and what mode it is running in.

it's hard to tell anything from looking on the showroom floor unless they are in the darkened magnolia area and you can play with the remotes to see what they've got them setup like...
Shane Sangster