Author Topic: April Jam at Carlman's  (Read 22477 times)

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
Re: April Jam at Carlman's
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2010, 06:00:50 PM »
Sweet,,,, especially that cake. :drool:

Any audio gear pictures? A guy can't live on cake alone.  ;)

Thanks for postin' me Ken!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Bigfish8

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2010, 06:06:40 PM »

Any audio gear pictures? A guy can't live on cake alone.  ;)

Thanks for postin' me Ken!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Hi Robin:

Carl has a fantastic sounding system but this G2G was not about the gear, it was more of an audio social. Everyone selected a favorite song and introduced that song to the group.  We then all listened to the song and rotated to each person in attendance.  No gear swapping took place.  It was all about the music and the people, one heck of a lot of fun.

Oh, the cake was handmade by my lovely wife.

Thanks again to Carl and Christine for a really fun time.

Ken
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:35:04 PM by Bigfish8 »

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 06:09:01 PM »
Carl,

Thanks so much for hosting.  This was a great get together.  I really enjoyed getting to hear the stories behind songs and why folks picked their choices.

Thanks for all the food, the hospitality and and the conversation.  It was great!!!

Definitely the best I've heard Carl's speakers.  I like that the tweeter is tamed down.  It's still on the edge, but sooooooooooo much better than it's ever been in your room.  
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 06:11:42 PM »

Any audio gear pictures? A guy can't live on cake alone.  ;)

Thanks for postin' me Ken!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Hi Robin:

Carl has a fantastic sounding system but this G2G was not about the gear, it was more of an audio social. Everyone selected a favorite song and introduced that song to the group.  We then all listened to the song and rotated to each person in attendance.  No gear swapping took place.  It was all about the music and the people, one heck of a lot of fun.

Oh, the cake was handmade by my lovely wife who happens to have an e-mail name of desmaker (short for dessert maker).

Thanks again to Carl and Christine for a really fun time.

Ken

OK.
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 04:22:37 AM »
Carl,

Thanks so much for hosting.  This was a great get together.  I really enjoyed getting to hear the stories behind songs and why folks picked their choices.

Thanks for all the food, the hospitality and and the conversation.  It was great!!!

Definitely the best I've heard Carl's speakers.  I like that the tweeter is tamed down.  It's still on the edge, but sooooooooooo much better than it's ever been in your room.  

Thanks for coming and bringing Melissa.. It was my pleasure to have this meet.

Also, thanks for the compliments on the tweeter.  I struggled with whether it was pulled back 'enough' but I didn't want to lose details.  I feel it's a good balance of detail retrieval without the artificially sharp edge.  I have more of the same resistor so I can tune it more if I ever needed to... like if I got a different DAC or whatnot.  But at this point it has brought me so much closer to the emotion of the music, I have no interest in messing with it more.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »
Nick sent some photos to me.. 1 gear is shot just for Robin. ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2010, 09:19:18 PM »
Carl,

Sounds like a pleasant time was had by all.  :thumb:

Did anyone reveal any unknown sonic gems?  :-k

Those of us who were unable to attend would love to see some posts from those who did with a few sentences describing the musical selection they presented.   [-o<

Hey, inquiring minds want to know.  8)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 05:55:19 AM »
I played Beethoven's Grosse Fuge, Opus 133 played by Prazak Quartet. I went last, after many people left, lucky for them. The LP I intended to play was warped so I had to choose something from Carl's HDD.

Offline Captain Humble

• Seeking Help
    • http://www.DodiesSeafood.com
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 06:26:52 AM »
Carl,

Sounds like a pleasant time was had by all.  :thumb:

Did anyone reveal any unknown sonic gems?  :-k

Those of us who were unable to attend would love to see some posts from those who did with a few sentences describing the musical selection they presented.   [-o<

Hey, inquiring minds want to know.  8)

I second tmazz's request.
Always looking for new music.  :thumb:
Thanks,
Jeff
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit,
what a ride!"

Offline stereofool

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 06:32:01 AM »
I'll play  :lol:!

My choice (for the day) was 'Golden Ribbons' by Loggins & Messina...certainly not a new group, but a group that produced consistently excellent recordings and performances.

The song was written during the Vietnam War and it is amazing how appropriate it is (again) today  :(!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Bigfish8

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 07:25:09 AM »
My selection was "Louisiana Bayou" performed by the Dave Matthews Band on the 2 disc live album - Weekend on the Rocks.

Ken

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 07:57:26 AM »
I tried to pick something that wasn't an audiophile female vocal snore fest for the attendees.

I waffled back and forth between two selections which sort of summed up a couple big influential periods for me and music appreciation.

I skipped some of the BBC records that I remember from my first real introduction to high fidelity.  My next door neighbors were a wonderful English couple.  She was the Latin and English teacher at my high school and he was a university professor at my eventual alma mater.  He had big BBC monitors, lots of vinyl and tubes.  That was my first eye opening audio experience and made me start fiddling with the broken 60's vintage Fischer stereo system in our living room.  It hadn't worked since before I was born and was more ornamental than anything else as a result.  I fixed the amp and turntable, and re-coned the woofers in the speakers so I could play vinyl at home in our living room.   

What I ended up playing for folks was from my late teen years.  Growing up in a very small town (which doubled in size when university was in session) meant there wasn't a whole lot to do, especially on Friday and Saturday nights.  So we kept ourselves occupied the same way a lot of other folks spent their nights in a small town.  A couple of us guys would jump in one of our cars and cruise up and down Main Street, do a few brake burns and donuts, a couple stop light races, go ripping and tearing through back roads to avoid the RCMP, meet up with some girls cruising together, etc. etc. etc.  No 50's cruiser music.  This was more of a time for rock and heavier stuff.  Something with a good driving beat...  So I chose "New Orleans Is Sinking" by The Tragically Hip to play for folks at the get together with the idea of teenagers cruising in a small town as the imagery.  All of the Tragically Hip's early albums are classics.  If you've never listened, well worth picking up. 
Shane Sangster

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 08:31:17 AM »
I played Beethoven's Grosse Fuge, Opus 133 played by Prazak Quartet. I went last, after many people left, lucky for them. The LP I intended to play was warped so I had to choose something from Carl's HDD.

The best laid plans of mice and men........    :duh
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:47:14 AM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 08:48:04 AM »
So I chose "New Orleans Is Sinking" by The Tragically Hip to play for folks at the get together with the idea of teenagers cruising in a small town as the imagery.  All of the Tragically Hip's early albums are classics.  If you've never listened, well worth picking up.  

Ahhhhh.....the Canuck comes out! Next you will be telling people to tune into CBC on a Saturday night for Hockey Night In Canada!  :rofl:

Whats next, Stompin Tom? Maybe some April Wine?  :D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:49:58 AM by Black Sand Cable »

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 03:56:28 PM »
So I chose "New Orleans Is Sinking" by The Tragically Hip to play for folks at the get together with the idea of teenagers cruising in a small town as the imagery.  All of the Tragically Hip's early albums are classics.  If you've never listened, well worth picking up.  

Ahhhhh.....the Canuck comes out! Next you will be telling people to tune into CBC on a Saturday night for Hockey Night In Canada!  :rofl:

Whats next, Stompin Tom? Maybe some April Wine?  :D

More like Stan Rogers or some Gaelic or Celtic stuff.... but Stompin' Tom is a true icon.....  They used to play the Hockey Song at Hurricanes games pretty regularly until a couple years ago.  People would look at my funny as I sung along to all the words.

Hockey Night In Canada is by far the best game presentation.  The only trouble is that I hate Montreal and Toronto... so it's tough to watch it much as it seems every weekend it's them playing.... Watching a few of the team's announcing teams on Center Ice is truly painful when you are used to listening to pros do the play by play and color especially...

I have a feeling that a number of the locals would say that the Canuck never really goes away rather than it just coming out from time to time :)
Shane Sangster