Author Topic: Equipment burn in time  (Read 6237 times)

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Re: Equipment burn in time
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 05:01:54 PM »
There was an old thread a couple of years ago about my Antelope Gold dac. Sounded horrible out
of the box. The consistent advice I got was put lots of hours on it, up to 500. The more hours, the better it sounded. I took notes along the way. Back then, I was using old speaker cables and ic's.
With ganders aka Gary's cables that I use now, the differences would've been even more pronounced. I'm certainly a believer in the break in phenomenon. Maybe a couple of the manufacturers here can chime in
Nick

Through experiences & repeated testing / evaluation, I found that "burn-in" & "settling" are very important and are interrelated.

A continuous "burn-in" does not always optimize the sound. There always should be some "rest time" (ie- "settling") in between "burn-in" periods to let the dielectric "settle & form" (think of capacitor "burn-in"). On all the cables I preliminary "burn-in" prior to shipping, my High Power audiodharma Cable Cooker is on an industrial timer to allow "settling" time during the process...

Also, once "burned-in", try not to disturb the cables since that may "mess-up" the sound quality by disturbing the dielectric and/or conductive materials.

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 01:08:03 PM »
  Pete could not agree more. Once those cables are settled in "LEAVE THEM ALONE" It will take a day or two to resettle. It is good to see some Manufacturers break in their product. My pet peeve.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 10:06:17 PM »
Based on some of these responses, I've been using the "on-off" break in methodology nowadays. The process can sometimes be a pita. When a manufacturer offers to do even a partial break in, I'm all for it. Now if someone offered a full break in, or close to it, I'd be one to depart with my $$ to have that done.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 07:35:27 AM »
  We break in every component for our customers if desired. Especially Digital which takes serious time to stop changing. Have yet to meet a digital component that took less than 500 hours. Some more.
   Capacitors like V-Cap or Duelund take over 750 to 1000 hours to sound their best and stop changing. For power conditioners I use our refrig. or air conditioner.

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 01:49:15 PM »
Guys, I am in total agreement about the need for settling time between duty cycles to get the wire/dielectric broken in.  That is why a darned 'fridge is a great burn in tool.  I use a 1/2HP motor with a timer circuit to break-in power cables. The starting spike is beneficial to the process - 12A on start: 5A at run... repeat as necessary.

Power cables will be best served by getting them off of carpet with an insulating riser and then leave 'em alone!  Pete is the MAN when it comes to power cables and power transmission.  That is his day job and he knows more about AC power than many self proclaimed expurtz.  His cables are all DO and no hype.  Like them all.

Wire is weird.  Rather the dielectrics are weird.  PVC, teflon, polyethelene, polypropylene, cloth, all are different in DA  and this is a big deal.  I think that is one of the reasons fabric or other organic coverings sound the best - very little dielectric memory.

One observation about digital.  It is my experience that digital be left on all of the time to get happy.  I'm not sure why, I just know it to be true at least for me and my friends.  I think that part of the equation is constant energization of the output cable to its destination device.  I do know that my DAC needs to stabilize the heat of the DAC chip to sound the best.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 10:19:18 AM »
Well after 600 hours no more changes in sound. The new panel [Square "D"], lines [ 8ga cryo Romex] and outlets [ Voodoo graphine] are DONE. Ready to rumble.

charles

Offline Nick B

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 09:16:13 PM »
Well after 600 hours no more changes in sound. The new panel [Square "D"], lines [ 8ga cryo Romex] and outlets [ Voodoo graphine] are DONE. Ready to rumble.

charles

Ok, Charles!! Just a sound bite for inspiration  :thumb:

https://youtu.be/PtMFdEPc64I
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 08:03:35 AM »
  Nobody said it better. We will have some severe break-in for the new Rethm Saadhanas coming to my home soon. Minimum 500 hours.
  Have the little SS system ready to break them in.

charles

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 08:31:56 PM »
Break in really does depend on what type of component it is and whats used inside. For all our tube preamps, we always recommend cycling on and off. Few hours on, few hours off. This will break in the component much quicker than just leaving it on 24/7. There are also some good burn in tracks available to use when your not listening to music. Tbey use the full frequency spectrum and really help in the process.
I now leave my integrated hybrid's tube preamp stage powered up at all times. Of course it is several years old now and has thousands of hours of play time on it.

Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,