Author Topic: Musical Solstice  (Read 10967 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Musical Solstice
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 11:27:18 AM »
I was hopeful I would be able to make it tomorrow but unfortunately Vera has made other obligations for us.  I know you guys will have a great time and I will be thinking of all the fun I will be missing.

We will miss you Ken. Have fun!! 

OK who's in for tomorrow?

Mike, if you're coming can you please bring the DAC1000 and a digital cable?
Shane, if you're coming can you please bring the Oppo if it's not in surgery? And if you still have it maybe your fav LFD to compare to latest i60? I'd like to hear an LFD on the Ushers.
Sol, please bring i60? And 3/64" allen wrench...  :rofl:

If you guys can't come or don't want to schlep gear it's no problem. My system is sounding just fine ;) Everyone please bring software! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone around 3pm or whenever you can make it. Thanks!
Rich

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 01:15:06 PM »
I'm still planning to come.  I set the expectations with the better half...

I'll bring an LFD or two.  I'll also bring the modded Oppo.  Sol finished up surgery on it this week.  I'm listening to it as I type this....  Oppo to LFD Zero to Harbeth Compact7s with SC3 wiring in the theater area......... I *really* like the Compact 7s in this config...

Richard,  I've got your cable in the truck already.

Steve,  Can you please bring your tube tester if you are still coming?  Thanks!

Sol,  I'll be bringing the DAC for further surgery.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:18:47 PM by hometheaterdoc »
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 07:23:46 PM »
Steve's not coming. 

Thanks Shane!  :thumb:

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 08:03:17 PM »
Wish I was able to join you guys, but NYC is a bit of a hike , especially in this weather. The National weather service is call in for 12 - 18" by morning with 40 - 50 MPH winds. Local authoritiesare are asking everyone to stay indoors until the storm moves out of the area so I am in Blizzard lockdown with nothing to do but listen to music in the mancave all weekend.

Life is good  :thumb:

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 03:22:08 AM »
Stay safe Tom, and all our Northeastern members.

Bigfish8

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 05:42:09 AM »
Wish I was able to join you guys, but NYC is a bit of a hike , especially in this weather. The National weather service is call in for 12 - 18" by morning with 40 - 50 MPH winds. Local authoritiesare are asking everyone to stay indoors until the storm moves out of the area so I am in Blizzard lockdown with nothing to do but listen to music in the mancave all weekend.

Life is good  :thumb:

Tom

Tom:

I remember those kind of days when Vera and I spent four years in Kalamazoo, Michigan.  The digging-out after the storm passes is the worse part! 

Take the time to enjoy the music and I hope you don't suffer any damage as the storm passes.

Ken

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 07:04:43 AM »
Rich, I'm afraid a last minute visit by family is going to keep me from making it there today.

Have fun and I'll catch you all next time!

djdube525

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 06:26:20 PM »
Hey Rich,

Thanks again for hosting. Sorry I couldn't stay long, but was glad I got a chance to meet everyone. How did Sol's tweaks turn out on his amp?

Shane... you know I never did answer your one question. I don't really find the Yamaha receiver overly bright, but I believe that's more dictated by my speakers which are quite a bit on the warn, lushy side. As I mentioned, improving the soundstage at this point is the main goal - no when I get a chance to attack that is anyone's guess.  :roll:

Dave

Offline richidoo

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 07:19:14 AM »
It was great to meet you Dave. Thanks for coming over. I look forward to seeing you at our future gatherings.

Sol changed some caps in his amp to compare the two versions on my speakers. It sounded awful at first, but within 5 minutes it started to clear up and eventually sounded very good. He had to leave early too.

That left me, Shane and Richard to listen and chat. We had fun!!

We compared the modded oppo SE player to my buffalo. The buffalo had a more natural tone but was smeared and scattered. The Oppo was coherent and focused, but had a metallic tinge.

Shane left an LFD NCSE amp with me on demo. It is very nice indeed. Best SS I've heard on these speakers yet.

Thanks to all those who came over to celebrate the Solstice, which is today. I'm looking forward to a new year full of many happy audio meets!  :thumb: 

Today is the shortest daylight of the year in the northern hemisphere. So on this day I can honestly say that things will be looking brighter tomorrow, if only by a few seconds...