Author Topic: need suggestions on streamers  (Read 10812 times)

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: need suggestions on streamers
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2018, 01:31:03 PM »
I think you would still have to run Core on a main computer, and Bridge on the Pi.

The Pi can also be used as an HQPlayer NAA device if you want to go that way.

Mike,
I was thinking the same thing about leveraging Pi as the end point and I realized that is not going to address Nick's issue about Tidal drop out's along with the issues with Roon Core that he is/might be having.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2018, 04:48:18 PM »
True, Deepak, as always.

I'm guilty of knee-jerking to think of a Pi as a solution for distributing audio around the house. Only then do I ask what it is that it can't do that I would need another box for, and is that feature worth the extra $$. Never tried a Pi dac HAT but I hear there are some very good ones out there.

Sorry to derail...

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2018, 05:00:38 PM »
Mike and Deepak,
I appreciate your input on this. It’s always nice to get comments as to why something may or not work for certain applications.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2018, 05:01:07 PM »
If Nick wants to try out the Pi I have the complete Allo setup with reclocker and Piano PCM5122 based DAC.  I can set it up with DietPi code and Roon end point.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2018, 10:13:01 PM »
If Nick wants to try out the Pi I have the complete Allo setup with reclocker and Piano PCM5122 based DAC.  I can set it up with DietPi code and Roon end point.

Sure, I’d be curious. But you realize I might need help with it.....
PM sent
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2018, 08:01:47 AM »

PM sent

Sure, I can help you remotely.  I will set it up on Friday and try to ship it out to you on Saturday.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2018, 09:41:50 AM »

PM sent

Sure, I can help you remotely.  I will set it up on Friday and try to ship it out to you on Saturday.

This will be interesting. Hope it will be fairly easy to set up
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2018, 09:02:15 AM »
Nick,  if you'll be using it with Roon, it really is pretty simple to use.   I've got an Allo USBridge (Sparky instead of rPi and the USBridge hat).   I use it as a Roon Bridge to a separate DAC and, well, it just works.   It runs DietPi and I have updated that twice now but probably didn't need to.  SQ is excellent.

It really is amazing what can be had now at this price point.    Will you be able to use wired ethernet?   Not sure if what shadowlight is sending you has a wifi component.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2018, 09:17:08 AM »
Nick,  if you'll be using it with Roon, it really is pretty simple to use.   I've got an Allo USBridge (Sparky instead of rPi and the USBridge hat).   I use it as a Roon Bridge to a separate DAC and, well, it just works.   It runs DietPi and I have updated that twice now but probably didn't need to.  SQ is excellent.

It really is amazing what can be had now at this price point.    Will you be able to use wired ethernet?   Not sure if what shadowlight is sending you has a wifi component.

Mike, the router is in the other room and it’s been “suggested” to me not to move it and it’s probably best anyway to leave it where it is. I also don’t have either Eero or those AC wireless extender things yet. I’m not sure what shadowlight has up his sleeve for me, but I’ll find out real soon. I guess this will use digital volume control and all I’ve been using is the analog volume through my dac. Lots to become familiar with.
As to the SQ, I can’t imagine it being comparable to that nice Antelope Gold dac. But the technology and components change so fast, I’d enjoy being pleasantly surprised.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS