Author Topic: ProJect Pre Box S2 Digital  (Read 2641 times)

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
ProJect Pre Box S2 Digital
« on: March 28, 2018, 03:39:49 PM »
I was able to get one of these a week ago from my brother's shop. Tons of fun in a tiny box. DSD512, PCM 706/768, MQA, 7 digital filters, dual Sabre 9038 (mobile) dacs, headphone, USB, toslink and RCA digital inputs, preamp/volume control. All in a box that's 4" x 4" x 1.5" high. And cute. Runs off 5V.

Had it in the main system and for $400 list it is capable of serving as the preamp/digital hub of a very nice system.

I'ts in my PC system now, hooked up to AudioEngine HD6s. And a Velodyne HGS10. Overkilling with JPS Superconductor Q! Makes for a very nice PC setup  ;)

If anyone needs a great little DAC, check this one out for sure. The price/performance keeps plummeting, especially with these Pi HATs and USB fixers making a huge difference for cheap.

http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=preboxs2digital&cat=s2-line&lang=en

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: ProJect Pre Box S2 Digital
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 04:26:35 PM »
Yikes! That's impressive.

Audio hobby (finally) meets Moore's Law!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 04:35:04 PM »
"Digital audio is the art of time, with our new proprietary clock design we have managed jitter rates of unrivalled 100 Femtoseconds, this easily outperforms many renowned and respected audiophile clock generators!"

Remember when Bryston's 1st DAC had only 1 nanosecond of jitter?   Nowadays good digital is under 100pS, while expensive jitter removing gadgets give <20pS.

This little guy claims jitter <100fS, 20x less. Not sure if that's under all playback scenarios, but that, combined with high resolution tracks should be quite a nice sound.

The output stage is yet to be discovered, but it's probably more than adequate. There's some nice sounding opamps available now.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 08:07:56 PM »
I was able to get one of these a week ago from my brother's shop. Tons of fun in a tiny box. DSD512, PCM 706/768, MQA, 7 digital filters, dual Sabre 9038 (mobile) dacs, headphone, USB, toslink and RCA digital inputs, preamp/volume control. All in a box that's 4" x 4" x 1.5" high. And cute. Runs off 5V.

Had it in the main system and for $400 list it is capable of serving as the preamp/digital hub of a very nice system.

I'ts in my PC system now, hooked up to AudioEngine HD6s. And a Velodyne HGS10. Overkilling with JPS Superconductor Q! Makes for a very nice PC setup  ;)

If anyone needs a great little DAC, check this one out for sure. The price/performance keeps plummeting, especially with these Pi HATs and USB fixers making a huge difference for cheap.

http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=preboxs2digital&cat=s2-line&lang=en

Have you hooked it into your main system to see how it performs in comparison to other high resolution equipment?

The features and specs look impressive and I have been looking forward to hearing about how it sounds in a full high end environment
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:11:40 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 03:40:16 PM »
It spent its first several days in my main system. Ultimately I want two pr of outputs with one of them balanced, and phono, so the little ProJect will live in the PC system for now.

I was great fun to listen to. Not the last word in transparency and the bass was a tad wooly but nice n' juicy. A fun sound, unlike my Gustard A20H which is bit too calm and uninvolving for me when I use it's internal volume control straight to amp.

But for less than $400 I think the ProJect is a great piece and be the centerpiece of a very nice system.

I look forward to bringing it around, if we ever get together again. Super portable.

Straight into a pair of active speakers and you are all set. All someone would need unless they dare to come onto our side of the nervosa fence.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 04:45:18 PM »