Author Topic: Audio rack materials  (Read 13142 times)

Offline mdfoy

• Seeking Help
Audio rack materials
« on: February 24, 2014, 12:51:25 PM »
I am looking into a new rack, and was considering DIY(not me on Y part!). With that, what would make the better material for the rack supports, iron, steel, aluminum or some type of wood? The shelves will probably be maple or Baltic birch.  

Better yet, would a rack made of iron and wood work well in a rack? Anyone have one, or know of anyone with one?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:03:06 PM by mdfoy »
Where there is doubt, there is no doubt

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Audio rack materials
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 07:12:30 PM »
If you want wood surface then get thick maple shelves with packed-sand-filled metal tube legs and supports. Maple sounds better than birch ply, btw.  Maple is resonant, but it has pleasing overtones and a very thick piece will not be strongly affected from other vibrations and will impart its maple tonality into the components it supports.

If you don't want color added to your components then you want a damped stand. Good description of the concept can be found on this site: http://www.grandprixaudio.com/
They make a great sounding stand.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 05:35:09 AM »
There's 2 different theories for racks, which not surprisingly also apply to turntables.

- Mass
- Light but strong

For a DIY'er it is far easier to build something with mass. To build something light but strong (and pleasing to the eye) you probably need some measuring equipment to measure resonances and see if you need to add some additional bracing or dampen some part of the structure.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 08:38:21 AM »
   Lets talk about what the rack holding the shelves is to be accomplishing first. Function ? Aesthetics ? Both ? Would the choice for function rule over aesthetics or visa versa.
   I went for function and made sand boxes supported by speaker stands. Then use maple plinths set in the sand. The component depending on which one is either decoupled or coupled as required.
  Now if one is using a rack with coupled shelves the shelf becomes more important than the supporting rack.
   In my experience mass rules for the rack. Built a TT stand using 75% solid concrete blocks stacked on top of each other. The open cells are filled with play sand. In between the block layers is a damping sheet of vinyl runner. The top blocks with the exposed sand have tennis balls set in the sand with a 2" thick maple plinth.
   One can literally jump up and down in front of it with zero affect to the TT. Ugly yes but extremely affective.
    If I was to buy a rack Kansco would be my first choice. Mapleshade second.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mdfoy

• Seeking Help
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 10:02:22 AM »
All,

Thanks for the responses.  To answer a few of the questions, aesthetics are important from the WAF factor, not the end all, but it does have to look decent. I need 5 shelves for the pre and sources. And would prefer a double wide over vertical shelves.  We are trying go for a more "furniture" appearance than "audio man cave" look.

The current rack is a 5 shelf, Z thing I got from a friend.  It is a fill in for now. The amps are currently on 3" maple boards on the carpeted floor and can stay in that config. I checked on the Billy Bags, Salamander, Adona, Timber Nation, Stand Design, Kanso..... but the prices start getting up there for the configuration I need.  Also, price is a factor, I do not want to spend $2500.00 on a rack, therefor the DYI approach.

Mike

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 10:21:51 AM »
Charles,
I did a search and couldn't find Kansco. Do you have a web address?
Thanks,
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 10:49:39 AM »

If you don't mind DIY, you might wanna try something like this:

It is very solid and heavy, visually appealing (I think), and flexible in that shelves are adjustable.  Only cost me a few hundred bux to make.  And trust me, I'm no woodworker!  Don't even have a shop or proper tools.  I made it on my front deck with basic hand tools:  circular saw, drill, belt sander, etc.  But I recommend a table saw for the thick and tough butcher block!

Build details and pics here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56322.msg492797#msg492797
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 11:05:20 AM »
Been thinking about racks...  twhs

:yay2:

The legs and beams could be a composite of 2" steel angle, the kind with holes used to hang garage door openers, glued to MDF wood with PL urethane construction adhesive. They have very different resonant signatures and will damp each other to make a quiet support for your maple blocks. Should be cheaper than tubes filled with sand, just as strong, and easier to assemble since the steel angles have many holes.

You could make a square profile leg with the inside of the angle filled in with MDF, or you could cover the outside of the steel on one side or both with MDF, as long as all of the steel is touching some MDF on one side. PL glue is very strong and will stick to anything, and cheaper and easier to use than epoxy. Being a urethane it remains slightly flexible and so adds some plastic vibration damping.

The MDF can then be profiled to shape, veneered, painted, whatever she wants.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »
Nice work toobluvr!

The link to the hardware is
http://8020.net/
"Industrial Erector Set!"

Offline mdfoy

• Seeking Help
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 01:25:20 PM »
Toolbluvr,

That rack is nice! The 80/20 just might work :-k

Nick B. I believe it is Kanso.

Mike 

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 11:06:36 PM »
I've had my Bello double wide rack since I bought my 250 lb Sony HD CRT way back when. Top shelf holds that much weight and bottom 3 shelves will hold another 6 components. TV is long gone so Center Channel and Power Amp now reside on top.

Black metal and tempered glass. Built like a tank and looks sharp.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:09:23 PM by Putz »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 11:43:19 PM »
Toolbluvr,

Mike 

Thanks, Mike
Found it.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdfoy

• Seeking Help
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 07:03:39 AM »
Does it matter if the metal rack supports are magnetic?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 07:48:38 AM »
Magnetically permeable materials like steel are OK.

A static magnetic field coming from the stand would probably be OK, but probably best to avoid it. Most hifi components would not be affected by a weak static magnetic field.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 08:21:50 AM »
Toolbluvr,

Mike 

Spelling error sorry man. Not inexpensive, extremely affective and absolute furniture quality. www.kansoaudiofurniture.com
   The Wife will love Kanso offereings but not the price.

charles

charles

Thanks, Mike
Found it.
Nick
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.