Author Topic: Winter Projects  (Read 12464 times)

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Winter Projects
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 07:06:14 PM »
I've got a couple things rolling around in my head.

First and foremost, I need to finish the speaker build I started with my nine year old daughter. That's the best one yet.

Second, I've got money in hand for some new drivers ($29) that Danny at GR is going to start selling in January. I'll drive them with one of those 3116 amps that Shadow is talking about. I've been eyeing those for about a year now. They're just too cheap for a DIY guy not to try.

To go with my new PC speakers and amp, I'll have to find some kind of DIY DAC to assemble.

I still need to finish my workshop.

Once the workshop is finished, I'll be whoring myself out to the lowest bidder to build something much more substantial than the above listed cheapo stuff. Don't really care what it is, as long as it requires sawdust to fly.

I also need to put an intake manifold gasket on my truck.
Every winter when it turns cold, the check engine light comes on for several weeks until it can adapt.
Until then, my fuel economy goes in the toilet.   :duh

Many more changes in mind, but those are the only ones that remotely have a chance of coming to fruition.

Bob

DaveC

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 09:21:27 PM »
I'm going to build separate enclosures for the woofer and tweeter drivers of the 4pi speakers. I want to experiment with an Omega 4.5" single driver speaker as the tweeter as well, it's performance as a tweeter surpasses all but the most expensive tweeters and I can cross it over wherever I want, which means what works best to blend it with the JBL woofer. Any suggestions are welcome, but the iteration with the B&C horn will be built pretty much as suggested by Wayne on the pispeaker website:

http://www.pispeakers.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/105

info on the woofer:

http://www.parts-express.com/jbl-2226h-15-high-power-lf-driver-8-ohm--294-470

tweeter:

http://www.parts-express.com/bc-de250-8-1-polyimide-horn-driver-8-ohm-2-3-bolt--294-605?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=G_MFG_AB_Products_Exact&utm_group=294-605_E_G100-200

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 03:58:02 AM »
I ordered up some Sonicaps to replace the remaining old Spragues in my speaker crossover.

So they arrived yesterday and I installed them. Now what? Too much winter to go and my project is completed (except for the burn in). I guess I'll just have to sit back and enjoy!
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 09:14:55 AM »
I ordered up some Sonicaps to replace the remaining old Spragues in my speaker crossover.

So they arrived yesterday and I installed them. Now what? Too much winter to go and my project is completed (except for the burn in). I guess I'll just have to sit back and enjoy!

Ya think so eh ? Solens ? You can do better. The Audience Aura T teflon are quite the accurate and transparent cap. Just saying  :-P

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 02:11:53 PM »
not Solens. yuck. Sonicap and Auricaps. I need a total of 100 uF of capacitance so I cant go expensive or.it would add up to $1000.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 08:23:27 AM »
not Solens. yuck. Sonicap and Auricaps. I need a total of 100 uF of capacitance so I cant go expensive or.it would add up to $1000.

I need to READ properly sorry. Si senor.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.