Author Topic: Winter Projects  (Read 12465 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Winter Projects
« on: December 13, 2013, 07:49:44 AM »
  Like it says anything up for the snowy months. Room attention next year for me.
   Have been neglecting the key part for too long. Hoping the garage project a two car affair will be the next dedicated room. Just have outgrown the basement. Never really heard the ability of the Pipedreams. They need space.
   If the Pipedreams do not work out [ need tweeters fixed ] then it is a new custom pair of GTAudio Works ribbons.
 A new CD front end maybe computer based maybe not. I'm liking the Berkly and Lamp DACs as well as Bricasti M-1. Arron Hoffman of Kanso will be aiding in designing the room. IMO one of the best out there. www.kansoaudiofurniture.com he makes extremely affective racks. Not for the shallow pocket but very affective.
      Anyways whats up ?

charles
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:25:59 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Winter Projects
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 08:39:27 AM »
  What ? nothing in the works.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

DaveC

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 10:49:49 AM »
I'm probably going to buy Nick's 4pi speakers, minus the cabs since they cost too much to ship.

They have the JBL 2226 15" midbass driver and B&C DE250 compression driver.

http://www.pispeakers.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/105

I'm thinking of building the speakers into 2 cabinets anyway and trying different high frequency drivers with the 15" JBL midbass driver.

And if anyone wants to donate a few 12" sealed subs for the project that would be great too  :thumb:

Oh, hi mgalusha! I don't think I'd be buying this if I hadn't heard your system.  :D

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 12:21:13 PM »
I ordered up some Sonicaps to replace the remaining old Spragues in my speaker crossover.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 01:13:45 PM »
Rewiring my Lambda hybrid open baffle speakers with OCC copper wire and solid copper BP's. Should sound better than that home depot wire ;)
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 01:37:51 PM »
Thinking about picking up couple of boards based on tpa3116 and tpa3110.  Planning to learn how to do some diy stuff and if I screw it up I will have to skip lunch and dinner for couple of days  :rofl:

Any recommendation on a good soldering iron / desoldering (sp?) tool.  Keep in mind I cannot skip too many lunch and dinners.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:40:20 PM by shadowlight »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 05:17:45 PM »
D, I have this soldering iron for 10 years, it works well for hobby use. It is rheostat control, so parts with large heat capacity will take longer to heat up. But you can crank in more heat manually if you need it.
http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station/dp/B000AS28UC

This one looks the same, I don't know why the lower price:
http://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Station-Features-Continuously-Variable/dp/B0029N70WM

This is a cheap version of a professional solder station, it is better build quality, and has a simple form of temperature control that loosely maintains tip temp automatically regardless of heat load. It is nice to have temp control tip.
http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WP35-35-Watt-Professional-Soldering/dp/B000B5YIYS

I bought a desoldering tool but I have yet to use it. It is too big for small electronic stuff. I just use desoldering braid for removing parts. It sucks up hot solder like a paper towel. I use the 1/8" thickness.
http://www.amazon.com/Aven-17541-Desoldering-Wick-Width/dp/B003E48ERK

I use a Weller brand 1/32" screwdriver tip for small electronics work.

I have used Cardas Quad-Eutectic 1/32" solder for a few years, and it is very good. Sounds good and easy to use. Triode Pete uses it for his SC bananas so it must be good! The melt temp is not too high and it has some silver and copper in it. $94/pound now! YIKES! I bought my last pound 6 years ago for ~$50! You can buy smaller lengths on Ebay.  If you want cheaper solder, Kester44 solder is also good, even the plain 60/40. It's the #44 flux that makes it good.
http://www.amazon.com/Kester-Rosin-Core-Solder-Spool/dp/B00068IJPO
Kester makes a 95tin/5silver #44 flux that hard to find but is supposed to sound awesome for audio, but melt is very high, and not easy for amateurs using cheap iron on small, heat sensitive parts.

So what are those boards D? Is it an amp? I see a heat sink, maybe class D on a chip?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 05:28:29 PM »
I'm trying to finish up my Kairos speakers. I've not touched them yet.

I want to install a simple wall shelf for my TT to stop the floor vibes.

I built an active output stage for my Buffalo DAC, to give it more low end balls. It had only transformer passive output before and sounded slightly bass-wimpy when compared to my old Buffalo32 DAC with active output stage. My new tweeters are begging me to reassemble the DAC and fire it up.

If I get those things done by spring, I'll be happy. I'm like a turtle in the winter.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 05:40:19 PM »
 Like it says anything up for the snowy months. Room attention next year for me.
   Have been neglecting the key part for too long. Hoping the garage project a two car affair will be the next dedicated room. Just have outgrown the basement. Never really heard the ability of the Pipedreams. They need space.
   If the Pipedreams do not work out [ need tweeters fixed ] then it is a new custom pair of GTAudio Works ribbons.
 A new CD front end maybe computer based maybe not. I'm liking the Berkly and Lamp DACs as well as Bricasti M-1. Arron Hoffman of Kanso will be aiding in designing the room. IMO one of the best out there. www.kansoaudiofurniture.com he makes extremely affective racks. Not for the shallow pocket but very affective.
      Anyways whats up ?
charles
Well over a year now in development,

The Obsession - same connectors (Furutech FI-50M) as the $10K Absolute Dream (by Crystal Cable). Two stage conductive silver mylar with conductive carbon fiber shielding, Piezo filtering along with a special double cryogenic treatment...

To be released sometime this winter (My Winter Project)...

www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 05:53:07 PM »
Thanks Rich.  Will take a look and start ordering stuff.

DaveC

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 06:07:36 PM »
My thoughts on soldering gear...

Hakko fx-888 soldering station and fa-400 smoke trap + Johnson IA423 solder (eutectic tin, copper and silver alloy) used with Cardas paste flux and an 800 degree iron. Various tips depending...

Offline Putz

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 11:20:47 PM »
Projects are completed.

1. Found a used matching (Drivers and Finish) center channel (HTC--see below) to go with my HT3s. Really enjoying the surround sound now that my 3 fronts are all matched up again. Got a SongCenter for sale if anyone's interested.

2. Finally pulled the trigger on 2 Acoustimac Bass Traps during their Black Friday sale. Set up in the corners behind the HT3s

Offline JBryan

• Seeking Help
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 05:22:21 AM »
Let's see... I need to re-terminate a pr of gainclone amps with RCA jacks and I have 2x 3" thick slabs of cherry that are raw and need to be planed, routed, cut and finished so I can use them under the gear. I want to go through about 3000 jazz albums and cull out at least a third... hopefully more.

I also need to sell off at least 10 pcs of audio gear, mostly vintage stuff that while they've been fun to fix up and play with, they are not getting any use and need to find good homes. The problem is that I recently sold a pr of Tannoy 15" Golds in Windsor cabs and I am filled with seller's remorse so I can only imagine what selling off these other pieces will do - I may be one depressed puppy before all this is over!  :cry:

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 07:30:19 AM »
I'm slowly knocking them off the list:

1) last week I finished and delivered a pair of DIY Sound Group Zephyr speakers - http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/alpha-series-kits/alpha12-kit.html to a buddy of mine.  I didn't order the kit, though.  I already had a lot of the parts here to build stock, and knew I'd likely not use stock anyways.  Had to pay to get crossover schematic.  But was still cheaper for me to do that and buy parts myself than buy kit.  This was supposed to satisfy my curiosity about the SEOS12 waveguide.  No offense intended to the other designers on AVS Forum that I don't really know, but I figured if anyone could make it sound decent, it would be Bagby.  I built a few other SEOS12 designs published in public domain and played with them on my own last year for a while.  Couldn't get anything to sound good enough where I'd keep the speaker long term.  Along the way of the months of trying to get the crossover schematic, got buddy curious about the speaker and how it might help his awful room situation be a bit more tolerable.  Got the win-win scenario.  He would pay for all parts and get a finished speaker when we were done.  I would get to play with the speaker, hear what it was capable of, lose nothing more than my labor and a few incidental bucks, and possibly sell some of my stockpile of parts in the end.  The final crossover was somewhere in between stock and my expensive stockpile parts... so I only got rid of a few parts and ended up ordering more stuff for him to meet his budget since the stuff that was better than stock in my stockpile that was in his budget didn't mesh well with the speaker...the expensive stuff sure did, but he didn't want to spend that much... oh well, he's very excited about the result and happy with the sound in his room...

2) this morning at 1:45AM, current got applied to the next speaker project to be completed, a pair of Wayne Parham 3Pi speakers with the upgraded drivers (B&C DE250, AE TD12S woofer).  They don't measure as well as Zephyr (comparing my 1M measurements with ones Wayne has provided, I may have the issue with AE woofers that has caused Wayne to drop AE TD12S as upgrade option.. but I don't know for sure because I had to take measurements at such ridiculously low volumes to not disturb the lightest sleeping 20 month old on the planet and mommy), but I like the sound with no break in time better with 3Pi waveguide so far compared to Zephyr SEOS12... there is a difference in crossover parts for 3Pi versus Zephyr...one cap's brand was changed.  The small cap in tweeter on Zephyr is Dynamicap.  On 3Pi it is Mundorf Silver/Oil, which should be an advantage to 3Pi.  Both Zephyr and 3Pi have the same size big cap in tweeter and I used Dynamicaps in both those places... Goertz foil inductors everywhere in both.  Mills resistors everywhere.  I sacrificed a set of speaker cables and they are wired with JPS.  I'm using Dayton "premium" binding posts on 3Pi since my WBT Nextgen binding posts still haven't bee drop shipped from WBT yet.  Hopefully soon...  But that matches the Zephyrs I built for Greg as well since he opted for those posts rather than the insane price differential for WBT...  I'll point htem at one another, run one out of phase, and start the break in on the 3Pis tonight and do critical listening in a couple weeks after they've run 24/7 long enough to put a few hundred hours on them...  the Zephyr came alive after break in...

3) Next up is using the woofer cabinet from my big horn experiment to be the base for a baffle box I'm going to sit on top that has BMS 4550 compression driver and SEOS12 waveguide.  mtg90 posted a schematic in public domain and I'm going to give it a whirl:  http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=230.msg2838#msg2838

I've got one crossover board soldered up and ready to go.  The second one will hopefully get done in the next week... trying to get these published designs finished before Christmas.  This one again uses Goertz foil inductors everywhere, mills resistors, Sonicap for all shunts and in the woofer circuit.  Tweeter circuit will use Jupiter flat stacked beeswax cryoed caps.... been curious to hear them.... all reports make them out to be just exactly my kind of cap.... we'll see soon enough... not cheap to buy them though... if I like them, it's going to make the crossovers for my big horn projects stupid expensive.... which brings us to the last item:

4) finish my darn big horn experiments.... http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=4739.0  my problem is finding time to take proper measurements at appropriate volume levels so that I can actually do a crossover design for each combo of horn/compression driver and AE TD15M woofer...  and therein lies the problem.... I use up all my goodwill with the boss to allow customer demos of Harbeth and other stuff I have here for commercial purposes.  Trying to get her to take the little guy out so I can get proper measurements for the big speakers doesn't gain a lot of traction.... I've been building the published designs late at night after both the little guy and mommy have gone to bed.... I can wire crossovers at 1AM... I can't play test tones for measurements at 90dB at that time...  my goal is now to set aside a Saturday or two in January to get some free time to do measurements.... Its hard though when the little guy doesn't want to leave my side and comes looking for me if I sneak away for 2 minutes... he likes dancing to the music... he doesn't like being quiet while I play test tones for measurement.... it's not the worst problem in the world to have, though ;)
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 06:22:38 PM »

So what are those boards D? Is it an amp? I see a heat sink, maybe class D on a chip?

Sorry Rich,

Missed answering your question.  They are class d boards based around TI TPA chips.  The boards that I included are based around the 3116 which are around 50W @ 4ohms(I think), while the 3110 based amps are 8W into 4ohm (http://www.parts-express.com/2x8w-at-4-ohm-tpa3110-class-d-audio-amplifier-board-only--320-329)

Not too sure if the parts express 3110 will work well with 16Ohm speakers but we will see.  The 3116 based stereo amps run about 20 bucks while the 5.1 runs around 40.