Author Topic: Capacitors  (Read 41263 times)

WireNut

Re: Capacitors
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 11:14:09 PM »

Hmm, I have to make this short for now, but I really like Mundorf Silver/Oil caps in my Audio Research preamp instead of the relcap ppmf caps. My new sonic frontiers SFL-2 pre has multicaps which I plan to Shit-can for Mundorf SIO.

WireNut

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 11:24:23 PM »

I like the Mundorf Silver/Oil caps so much that I'm thinking about
drilling holes in the bottom of my new/used SFL-2 preamp case and hanging the Mundorf's from the underneath for case.
Which is a serious problem for resale.

WireNut

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 11:45:05 PM »

Would you do this Mod?

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 06:47:26 AM »
Nope - find something else that actually fits. There are lots of candidates.

Unless of course you are willing to add the name "Franken-" in front of it, or possibly reverse the mod before reselling.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:49:17 AM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 07:17:17 AM »
Hey Wirenut, nice to see you here. I would go for it as long as you can reverse it for a possible resale.
   Maybe just maybe the SF could be your experiment piece, meaning no resale just fun to mod. Never know the outcome until you try.
   BTW AR likes Audiocap Thetas. A rich sounding cap. Which puts you sonically between Conrad Johnson and AR.
    Our Loesch & Weisner preamp has a few multicaps as bypasses. They will be replaced with Duelund Cast. Small values of .033 and .022.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 09:25:33 AM »
Wirenut, Just leave the top off to make room for the caps. This will improve the sound further by removing the metal and by removing the vibration. Watch out for RFI from AM radio stations, however. Make a wooden cover if you want for shock protection. Don't cut the leads of the caps so you can resell them too. If your system is transparent enough you will tire of them, most people do. 

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 10:47:42 AM »
Funny Rich - that's where I find most people's opinions of the Mundorf's wind up. They all seem to love them initially, but around the 400-500 hour mark after full break in they like them less.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013, 01:34:49 PM »
Funny Rich - that's where I find most people's opinions of the Mundorf's wind up. They all seem to love them initially, but around the 400-500 hour mark after full break in they like them less.

Maybe it's good that I couldn't afford the Mundorfs and went with the Sonicap Platinum upgrade instead on my Dodd VGP pre-amp being built!?!  :)

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

WireNut

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2013, 06:21:10 PM »
I've had the Mundorf SIO in my preamp for about 2 years. I took them out and tryed some Auricaps bypassed with V-Cap TFTF's
but didn't like it. Out came the Auricaps and V-caps, back in went the Mundorf's. Ahh Yes, much better.

Because of this, I don't fell good about buying V-caps again.
I wanted to put in some V-cap OIMP's in a different preamp
but the reviews aren't very good.

The size of the V-cap OIMP's would fit just right in my preamp.
The Mundorfs are HUGE.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2013, 05:31:13 AM »
The OIMP's don't sound like the TFTF's. They are definitely a sweeter cap, but still transparent, and what I use in my preamp.

WireNut

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2013, 05:00:46 PM »
The OIMP's don't sound like the TFTF's. They are definitely a sweeter cap, but still transparent, and what I use in my preamp.

Yeah, I’d really like to put four 3.0uf V-CAP OIMP’s in my preamp but due to the review below I’m having my doubts about buying any. I don’t know what to make of this review.

Here is the article:
http://www.laventure.net/tourist/caps.htm

Chris Venhaus ends up defending his caps stating:

"Most of the applications the OIMP's are being used for are outside the scope of your testing. They're best suited for use as larger value output coupling caps (bypassed with a 0.01 TFTF—especially in digital circuits), as a bypass for electrolytic power supply filter caps, in a cascade with smaller value TFTF's, and in loudspeaker x-overs (although TFTF tweeter bypass caps work great on all but metal domes)."

WireNut

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2013, 09:15:21 AM »
A very interesting set of tests. I haven't seen that one before. It does make me want to try bupassing the 5.6uF OIMP that I have in my preamp with a .1uF Relcap RT that I have lying around (the survey seems to like those very much). I also used Sonicap Platinums as inter-stage coulping caps in my preamp. I do like this combo very much so am surprised at the relative negative comments for both. Perhaps though, as Dr Loesch found out, using 2 lesser caps in combination with differing strengths and weaknesses managed to bring out the best in both and make for a nice, balanced sound overall. Hmmm?

It also makes me want to pull out the 1.0uF Multicap PPMFX's that I have in my phono stage (bypassed with a .1uF Russian Teflon) and replace them with some 1.0uF Obbligato's that are also in my stash. The Obbligato's are definitely warmer sounding than the Multi's and a tad rolled off to my ears, but could be just the ticket with the teflon bypass.

My phono stage has a switch that allows me to select 2 different sets of output capacitors. I have the following ones on the second switch and they definitely have a sweeter more old world sound that makes some of those hard 70's vinyl records sound just right. They project music in more of a "wholeness" rather than in an audiophile detailed and separated way, if you know what I mean. They are a great PIO cap that was not in the survey, and unfortunately not made anymore so grab em if you see em, are the Amp Ohm's.

WireNut

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2013, 11:35:23 AM »
Hi BobM,

I’m just about to give up on trying to find an exotic cap to fit inside my preamp due to their physical size so I’m now thinking about bypassing the 3.0uf Multicap PPMFX’s as you are considering. Based on info from Chris Venhaus site the OIMP’s are not suggested for signal coupling but Sonic Frontiers does use them in there mods. I think they may use them because they fit in the same space as the multicaps.

Here’s a good review on Audio Note, and Jensen PIO caps. They also mention Mundorf SGO. I like Mundorf S/O caps and four .01uf would only set me back $115.00. The Jensen PIO are nice but expensive. By-passing should open up a lot more possibilities. I’m looking into Ampohm, Thanks.

Review.  http://jimmyauw.com/tag/audio-note/

Steve

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »
Well, I installed the Relcap RT's as bypasses to the OIMP's. Didn't hear very much of a change (yes these RT's were used before and broken in). This leads me to believe the OIMP's are really good as they are - output coupling caps in my preamp.

I then replaced the Multicap PPFMX's in my phono stage with the Obbligato's (bypassed with Russian teflons). Things sound very congested right now. It lost that hard edge that the Multi's seem to have but it is not very good. I'm letting records spin and hoping that it is break in, but I've used these before and wasn't too pleased, so I'm not optomistic.

If you're going to spend over $100 on bypasses I would suggest trying something else first.
- get those cheap Russian teflons and type them. Yes, they are physically large, but for $20 you can get 4 of them shipped. They aren;t very gopod as full coupling caps (not very good bass) but they work pretty well as bypasses, even if they arenlt quite as smooth as a V-Cap.
- Try a Sonicap II as a bypass. Cheap and pretty decent and physically small.
- Go for the Dueland Alexanders as a bypass. These are the cat's meow. Expensive and physicall large though, but I like what I hear from them better than a V-Cap.
- Look at the Clarity caps. I haven't tried them (yet) but lots of people say "this is the one that hits the sweet spot in price vs performance."

WireNut

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2013, 08:15:36 PM »

I fear the worst. I see no option but to disassemble/desolder/and possible ruin my preamp in search of the Holy Grail of caps.
Sometimes I hate being a neurotic audiophile.

Steve