Author Topic: Capacitors  (Read 41068 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Capacitors
« on: December 12, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
  Could we start our own Cap sticky ?? Stating ones experience with different caps and applications may be very helpfull.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Re: Capacitors
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 01:29:11 PM »
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 02:42:38 PM by Triode Pete »
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 01:43:04 PM »
I don't think you can beat the AC thread for the amount of info in it. So here's a link

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=54218.0
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

evan1

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 01:45:49 PM »
I don't think you can beat the AC thread for the amount of info in it. So here's a link

Bob your such a party pooper. Why can't we have one here.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 02:51:09 PM »
Another infamous cap test on the net, from Tony Gee in the Netherlands.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

I like Jantzen Superior Z, and Silver Z, good for the money, well built.

I am interested to try Scotty's suggestion about the solid polymer caps.

I'd go for some Clarity MRs if I had a special job like a nice tweeter.

musicfile

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 05:14:51 PM »
The clarity MR work very well in coupling positions  :thumb:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 07:50:26 AM »

We can talk about our cap experiences here. The shootouts are interesting.  Our hands on experience is what I'm looking for on AN. Not a dealer of caps.

charles
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:50:54 AM by rollo »
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 08:38:24 AM »
OK, then lets talk teflons.

I tried the Russian FT3 teflons as .1uF bypasses on both my speaker tweeter circuit and as bypasses to coupling caps in my phono stage and CD player..

This cap is exceedingly resolved like only Teflon caps are. After living with this cap for a long time, one has to marvel at its consistently musically-revealing nature and tonality. It doesn't wear its detail resolution on its sleeve, yet when one chooses to listen for it, the extension is impressive as well as actual detail and airiness without obvious glare.

Is it as good as the Sonicap platinums (no) or the VCap's (no)? Those are both a bit smoother than these FT3's, but they are also priced 4-5X higher.  Does it have good bottom end extension? No, it is adequate but not as good as many more basic caps like Sonicaps or Multicaps if you are going to use it as a single cap replacement instead of a bypass. I tried the FT3 in my Hagerman Piccolo step up and it was not a good match with this tiny signal. I reverted back to a Sonicap II which was much more fluid in that position all by itself. I also tried it as a bypass for the woofer caps in my speaker, and that was a mistake. It seemed to shift the crossover point higher which caused a mismatch between tweeter and woofer.

Over all, and for the price, these are a no-broainer. Easily available on e-bay you can buy several and try them out for little cost. The shipping might take a month to reach your home from the Ukraine or Russia, so make sure to buy enough to use elsewhere to avoid that extra cost and time again.

Oh, one more thing. It seems that stringing teflon caps together from one component to another to another can result in a too much of a good thing problem. Used in the source and speaker, it might be just the ticket, but used in the source and the preamp and the amp and the speaker it could easily sound cold and analytical.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 08:50:20 AM »
  Bob, have had similar findings with the V-cap TIO Teflons. They can take over if too many are used. Recently orderd a pair of Dueland Alexandra caps as well as Audio Cap PCU to try in amp. Now there are two V-caps at both coulping positions. The only two caps in the circuit.
  My thought was to use the V-cap in the preamp instead. The cathode follower to be exact. There is a frankenswchwartz combo of a Dayton there now. I belive almost anything will out perform the Dayton.
  Time will tell.

charles

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 10:39:16 AM »
. I belive almost anything will out perform the Dayton.
For electronics, I'd take a good electrolytic such as Nichicon FG over Dayton film caps, Dayton are awful in electronics. 

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 11:59:15 AM »
. I belive almost anything will out perform the Dayton.
For electronics, I'd take a good electrolytic such as Nichicon FG over Dayton film caps, Dayton are awful in electronics.  

Thanks Face. I just found out the the original coulping cap  used was an Audio Cap Theta. What was this guy who had the Pre before me thinking using a Dayton ? :duh The coulping position is to the cathode follower. Tube is an RCA 6GK5.

charles

Offline bhobba

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 06:41:21 PM »
Thanks Face. I just found out the the original coulping cap  used was an Audio Cap Theta. What was this guy who had the Pre before me thinking using a Dayton ? :duh The coulping position is to the cathode follower. Tube is an RCA 6GK5.

A person I know who was asked to fix a $10K pair of speakers with a broken crossover showed it to me - nothing but electrolytics and iron cored inductors.

Thanks
Bill

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 07:21:36 AM »
  Hey Bill good to see you here again.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 08:14:12 AM »
   OK opened again for Duelund cap comparisons.

charles

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 03:30:04 PM »
I would be interested in hearing from those who have experience with the Duelund Alexandra capacitors and how they might compare to some of the other capacitors out there such as the Mundorf, Clarity, Jensen and others.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,