Author Topic: Herbies Audio Lab "UltraSonic" tube dampers  (Read 33559 times)

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
Herbies Audio Lab "UltraSonic" tube dampers
« on: November 27, 2007, 11:53:20 AM »
Got some Herbies Audio Lab "UltraSonic" tube dampers (all with latest titanium C-ring) for cryoed Philips metal base GZ34/5AR4 NOS 1957 and for 2 Bendix 6900s in my Modwright SWL 9.0 Signature linestage and they cleaned up a slight haze (which was now apparent due to its absence) to allow better following sustain and particularly decay phase of each note and noticed some improvement in "definition," particularly in bass frequencies.

rlmacklin

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 07:00:27 AM by rlmacklin »

jrebman

Re: Herbies Audio Lab "UltraSonic" tube dampers
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 03:05:29 PM »
I plan to try these myself in the near future.

That's some nice glass you got there :-).

-- Jim

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 05:50:25 PM »
Just ordered a full set as a treat for my new Bella 3205  :)
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

kallitype

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:54:25 AM »
Hi Tom----I just passed the 400 hour make on my 3205.  Love it!  switched from the stock EH EL34 to Sovtek 6550 for a little more puch and dynamics, but the most musical combo seems to be with Cryo'd JJ Tesla (blue glass) EL34's, they have a very "present in the room" sound.  Tried some KT88's (Shuguang) but they make better room heaters than music presenters----sorta dull. Maybe not broken in enuf????

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:29:08 PM »
I use these for my Output tubes and my Tube Dac. I love these tube dampers.

Got some Herbies Audio Lab "UltraSonic" tube dampers (all with latest titanium C-ring) for cryoed Philips metal base GZ34/5AR4 NOS 1957 and for 2 Bendix 6900s in my Modwright SWL 9.0 Signature linestage and they cleaned up a slight haze (which was now apparent due to its absence) to allow better following sustain and particularly decay phase of each note and noticed some improvement in "definition," particularly in bass frequencies.

rlmacklin

bacobits

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 08:16:11 AM »
I do use these on all tubes to good effect.

Let me say Steve Herbelin "Herbies" is one class act to deal with.
Products are very good and just super customer service.
I have done busine$$$$ for some time with Steve.

I had a question via E mail yesterday (Sun) no less, he gives me a call on the phone.
His normal UltraSonic 9 Dampeners do not fit the Raysonic player because of the tube slot.
His "Blackbery" smaller sized do.
I wanted to do an exchange for a pair or replace the pads.

He fixed me right up and at no cost except for shipping.
Super!

Den

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 08:18:06 AM by bacobits »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 07:51:25 AM »
Ok made the plunge bought 6 of them to use for Preamp and amp. Will let you know the results. BTW excellent customer service order went out next day, rec'd shipping info, mailed US priority next day service.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 08:00:20 AM »
  Well a more natural sound. More info again so far so good . In a couple of weeks after listening to  familiar music to final verdict will be in.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 08:42:55 AM »
When you guys are saying that the sound with the Herbies is better with that compared to a tube with another damping device (and if so which one) or a bare tube with no damping at all?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 09:18:48 AM »
When you guys are saying that the sound with the Herbies is better with that compared to a tube with another damping device (and if so which one) or a bare tube with no damping at all?

Nude. No comparison done. I hadsome from Audio research awhile back. Did not care for the results at the time. Probably was other issues with synergy so they went south.
  Tom if you would like to try some Leslie has a bunch left over.

charles

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 01:34:02 PM »
Tmazz,

The Ultrasonic Dampers make the sound less "Tubey" and make it more organic with more natural voices, timbre, etc.

Paul

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 11:05:44 AM »
I've been considering Dampers for my Jolida 502 BRC Integrated.  Herbie's seems to be the way to go.

From what I've read, it's more important to do the signal tubes than the power tubes. I have 4 of each on my unit. What have others been doing in that regard?

The Ultrasonic Damper comes in an RX and SS version. The RX being the "better" version of the 2. Has anyone compared them (unlikely) or just comment on which one you have and how they performed.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 03:23:53 PM »
I just went right to the Herbie's dampers for my signal tubes, never really compared them to anything else. Two in my pre and 3 in my phono pre, the dampers really 'solidified' the sound.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 04:33:26 PM »
I just went right to the Herbie's dampers for my signal tubes, never really compared them to anything else. Two in my pre and 3 in my phono pre, the dampers really 'solidified' the sound.

What version do you have?

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 04:52:29 PM »
I got the Hal-O 9 with the white 'C' ring and translucent wheels.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue7/halo.htm
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."