Author Topic: Whats up with JJ signal tubes?  (Read 13859 times)

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
Whats up with JJ signal tubes?
« on: January 27, 2014, 06:24:41 PM »
I like the sound of the JJ signal tubes and have been using a lot of 12AU7 and 6922 types. It seems that almost 50% of the JJ's I have brought in become noisy within only a few days. Anyonne else experiencing this?
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Whats up with JJ signal tubes?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 06:56:13 PM »
Yes, that's been my experience also, with both power and signal tubes. It's really a damn shame, their tubes can sound truly incredible, but of course, nothing that beautiful ever lasts.

DaveC

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:15:40 PM »
I swore off JJ tubes after a 5ar4 arc'ed over and took out a resistor in my old Anthem preamp. After researching uncovered a lot of stories about noisy or unreliable tubes I have not used JJs anymore.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:33:20 PM »
That is a shame. They are very good sounding tubes for current production. I had always read about the troubles with JJ power tubes, especially some pin issues.
 I gues i'll have to go with EH to supply with our Musica Bella products as I can't have half the tubes I send out go bad with a week.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
Evening Gents

I'm really sad to hear you all have had issues with JJ signal tubes. I bought a pair of matching and balanced JJ 5751 tubes that came from Doug's Tubes early last year and they are sounding great in my Jolida amp. Maybe because Doug tested them out they are not noisy or are having problems? These have been used for a couple of hours a day for some time now and they have not become noisy or anything of the sort. (Knock on wood.) I don't think mine have a date code but I'll check.

Also from an old post on Audio Asylum I think even Jim McShane won't use JJ tubes. I guess I got lucky with the ones I got.

Offline mdfoy

• Seeking Help
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 06:07:42 AM »
In my case, longevity is not a strong point in JJ tubes. I have found that new issue Psvane and Genalex to be OK. The sound quality of the tubes may not be on par with NOS in some respects, but longevity and quiet are very strong suits. I have found the Genalex B749 to be really nice.

Now, NOS CBS Hytron 5814 and organ stock Raytheon Blackplates sound very good with the Musica Bella.  ;)
Where there is doubt, there is no doubt

Offline JBryan

• Seeking Help
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 03:45:54 AM »
JJ's QC and reliability have always been questionable. OTOH, they sound pretty good when they work and are inexpensive compared to other new production brands. I've bought gear with JJ tubes installed and only had a couple of failures (driver and power tubes) but that's a couple too many in my book so I tend to avoid them and I would immediately replace a rectifier rather than take a chance with the consequences. I guess the adage, "You get what you pay for" is very much in play with these tubes.

Offline rpf

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 05:09:36 PM »
I've used JJ 12AU7s and 12AX7s in my Rogue Cronus Magnum for several months without problems. They sound better than any of the other new productions tubes that I've tried (most, including Genalex, Psvane, Tung-Sol, Mullard, Ruby Chinese, Sovtek, EH). But long term I can't comment as to their reliability.

As good as they sound they don't come close NOS.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 08:55:25 PM »
The JJ E88cc tubes can be incredible, lasting up to 28,000 hours in my preamplifiers. Sound perfect as well. But there have been quality issues over the last decade.

Some years ago, there were problems with cathode poisoning, after only 4 hours, give or take. This lasted until new vacuum pumps were installed.

So there are again problems with quality? What a shame.

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:58:03 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 09:39:22 PM »
I do really like the E88C JJs. I have not had the same failures with these as the 12AU7s. I haave had only 2 noisy tubes out of countless pieces i have brought in.
i am going to give these the benefit of the doubt for now as I really like the sound. This is the tube we supply in our Music Bella Segue tube buffer and dont recomment to my customers to change them out u til they have had a chance to burn them in and hear what they are capable of.

I just swapped in some original Mullard grade A CV4003 tubes in my Purity integrated hybrid amp. Very nice tube. I may try a pair of old 7136 tubes I have and see how they sound when i have some time.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 01:57:07 PM »
I just got a pair of new production Telefunken E88cc tubes in. Running them for two days now.

Bass has better control than JJ brand, mid and highs are more open, natural.

Noise, what noise, so good for phono stages. Beats Genalex hands down, which has zingy highs, and looser bass.

Less expensive as well.
Beats the Bugleboys (got 2 dozen of them, Qs)

The tube just "sounds" a little more realistic, that last bit of realism.

This tube "sounds" near perfect, if not perfect.
If it lasts like the JJs do, approx. 26,000 hours.

This is one heck of a tube.

Cheers
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 05:31:50 PM »
Nice info Steve, thanks. They are made by JJ, but tested by Tele and cryoed. Lots of different types available including power tubes.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 05:33:56 PM »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the input.  I just retubed a pre with some inexpensive EH 6922s because I had no idea how old the previous tubes were.

Can you compare the new Teles to the EH 6922s?

I know I know, different systems respond differently-

But whaddya say?

Thanks

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 08:38:35 PM »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the input.  I just retubed a pre with some inexpensive EH 6922s because I had no idea how old the previous tubes were.

Can you compare the new Teles to the EH 6922s?

I know I know, different systems respond differently-

But whaddya say?

Thanks

Hi MFSOA,

I do not have any EH E88cc tubes. Been years, decades ago.

I could only compare EH to JJ KT-88s. The EH sound much fuller than the JJ KT88s. Almost like the EH lack highs. But I would not bank on the comparison being valid to the signal tubes.

Cheers, and great week.
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 07:56:55 AM »
Hey Steve good info here thanks. Was curious about the new Tele.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.