Author Topic: Turntables  (Read 20453 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: Turntables
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2015, 08:42:35 AM »
Charles,
You might want to try your Vista with slagles stepups for the miyajima.
I ran that combo for a while and it was quite good, of course a better fono pre would help even more.
Do what the big boys do in high end analogue and run a MM phono pre and use stepups. Built in gain for a MC is a selling point for sure, but not really the best way to do it. The passive gain created by the transformer is by far the best sounding IMO, the inductor in the cartridge likes to see another inductor boost its signal, whenever caps and resistors are removed from the signal ,,it only gets better IMO.
If slagles stepups are too dear, than try cheaper ones, there are plenty out there......but IMO slagles are some of the best
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2015, 08:51:18 AM »
Beautiful system, Scott!

What brand are those curvy face tube components in the left rack?

Offline Hugh

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2015, 02:58:21 PM »
Mike,

How much is the Slagles step-up transformer?

Thanks,

Hugh

Charles,
If slagles stepups are too dear, than try cheaper ones, there are plenty out there......but IMO slagles are some of the best
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2015, 03:34:16 PM »
http://www.intactaudio.com/tran.html

try the silver......yummy
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2015, 03:48:45 PM »
I was there but didn't see anything re silver. :(

The only thing I saw was this.

Phono Step-Up Transformers (SUT's)
Custom designed transformers on a large 80% nickel core wound specifically for your cartridge / phono pre interface. Please understand that these devices are unshielded and will require assembly into a shielded enclosure. We can provide you with some people who can do this task or help you DIY your own.
Priced From $250 each.

http://www.intactaudio.com/tran.html

try the silver......yummy
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2015, 05:39:51 PM »
silver is available, website just does not show them
and price is a bit higher...................but worth it

Offline Scottdazzle

• Seeking Help
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2015, 07:44:57 PM »
Beautiful system, Scott!

What brand are those curvy face tube components in the left rack?

Those are the Zesto components.  Carolyn Counnas did the visual design which is based on the shape of the grand piano.  George Counnas designed and builds the components.  Great sounding and great looking gear.  I really like pieces that have visual as well as sonic beauty.
Viva Hifi in Vienna, VA
email: vivahifi@gmail.com
Retired

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2015, 07:03:44 AM »
Mike,

Do you have Dave's contact?

Thanks,

silver is available, website just does not show them
and price is a bit higher...................but worth it
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2015, 12:05:22 PM »
Charles,
You might want to try your Vista with slagles stepups for the miyajima.
I ran that combo for a while and it was quite good, of course a better fono pre would help even more.
Do what the big boys do in high end analogue and run a MM phono pre and use stepups. Built in gain for a MC is a selling point for sure, but not really the best way to do it. The passive gain created by the transformer is by far the best sounding IMO, the inductor in the cartridge likes to see another inductor boost its signal, whenever caps and resistors are removed from the signal ,,it only gets better IMO.

Thanks Mike could not agree more.Need to talk to dave.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2015, 04:56:26 PM »
  So what are you using for a TT and phonostage ? running a linn LP12 for mono with grado mono cart.
   For Stereo a Kuzma Stobi S with Stogi S 12"VTA adj arm. Cart now Golden Note. A Miyajima in my near future.
   A Vista phonostage for the Linn and a Loesch & Weisner phono/Pre for stereo. The Loesch needs some repair so was thinking of new phono stage. Looking hard at Miracle audio custom phono. A Parasound or Sim as well.. Would love a Zanden but we need to save some $.
    Looking for a Klyne used but very hard to find. I made a big mistake selling my Klyne SK5A. Live and learn. Hoye !
    Economically fixing the L&W makes sense as it is world class. However the WE 417A tubes are getting rarer and very expensive as we speak. Bummer but life. Then there are 12 more tubaroonies to deal with.  Should I ? Should I not ? What to do.
   Any suggestions ?? I committed to the cart but the PS still up in the air.

charles

charles

Charles,

A Klyne 7PX-3.5 just came available for $2500 ;-)

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/phono-klyne-audio-arts-7px-3-5-phono-preamp-2015-12-20-preamplifiers-37920-kimberlin-height-tn
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2015, 11:34:02 AM »
  Thanks tom I'm on it.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2015, 11:38:14 AM »
  Actually have a contender I'm evaluating now from a new co called Vu Deja. Tubed with outboard power supply.
   So far very impressed.

charles

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2015, 03:46:21 PM »
This may sound goofy but what the hell. Has anyone ever tried perfecting a wind-up version of a TT? Unlike a motor that is used to turn the platter.

Probably have to wind it up after a couple of songs but you lose the motor. If you can wind a watch why not a TT?
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2015, 05:13:41 PM »
It's been done...  :thumb:

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2015, 04:15:05 PM »
What do you guys think if this budget Marantz? belt drive made in Germany for $300

http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-TT42-automatic-Turntable-Cartridge/dp/B005JK64FQ
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,