Author Topic: Pathos Classic One MKII  (Read 16399 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Pathos Classic One MKII
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 09:04:23 AM »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 10:38:15 AM »
You got a great system there den, enjoy it! It will get better and better as you listen and learn more about it. Find you some nice audio buddies down there in Charlotte so you can share the joy!  There are quite a few audiophiles down there, aka Charlotte Audio Society. Some of them post in Carolina Audiophiles Circle on AC.  Congratulations!  I too am leaning toward SS, gradually. The silence, control and low coloration of SS are so appealing. But the loss of the 'bigger than life' musical exaggeration is difficult to give up.
Rich

bacobits

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 03:18:53 PM »
I agree about the SS part is much more quiet most of all. Very black backgrounds and very vivid individual instruments in separation and it really represents the recorded venue. All this adds up to superb listening.

One reason I sold the Mini Max phono was I running the Dyna 10X5 at the recommended MM 47K
setting and that forced me to really turn up the volume on Vinyl. Could use a little more gain believe it or not. I bet there is more there zeroing in on the custom settings using the Nova Phonomena Phono .
the tubes sounded OK, but got noisier between songs only, and did not match my digital qualities.
I know, I have been told not to pay any attention to the volume setting in relation to other sources. This is a strange animal of an amp. We'll see what is up next week.

D

bacobits

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 06:43:12 AM »
Absolutely no knock on the EE Mini Max Phono it is an excellent pre
but it never sounded at 47K like the Nova set at 50K where I have it set now. I was not even going to go that high on the setting because I didn't think the 47K setting was any good.
Everything just popped in place last night. It was one of those moments I was throwing everything I had at it last night. Billy Idol????? :lol:
I said the Pathos must have its act together with other components to sound its best.

Sorry, I'm just rambling on with this. I notice most here are not into vinyl.

D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:45:05 AM by bacobits »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 07:46:46 AM »
Sounds like you got a winner there, Den.  The source and load impedances of any signal combine to affect frequency response and current delivery of any AC signal whether it's at phono, line or speaker voltage level. The MC is fixed source impedance, so it's no surprise that adjusting load impedance has such a huge effect on the sound. You want the lowest impedance you can get without losing any frequency response. Like rollo said, higher load impedance makes it more bright, because more high frequency is getting through with larger impedance ratio. But lower load impedance gives more bass control and drive, because more current can get through with lower impedance ratio. Power transmission is only concerned with current delivery efficiency, so they strive for equal source and load impedance to maximize current efficiency, but they only need frequency response up to 60Hz. As you're discovering, it's a tradeoff.

Of course the Pathos and Ushers are revealing the changes so well too. Maybe you would have heard a little more from the EE on the new system. But tubes have drawbacks as well as advantages. You're livin it.  :thumb: