Author Topic: 44.1 ?????  (Read 4366 times)

marc5656

44.1 ?????
« on: July 12, 2014, 07:43:26 PM »
My Nu Prime integrated amplifier is capable of 384k but on the screen it only says 44.1

Why is this?

How do you get the BEST sound out of a high end computer desk to system???

I have the NU PRIME IDA-16 (200wpc and 384k) with Gallo Reference Strada2 speakers.

I use my IMAC as a source.

Is that the problem?

Thanks
MF

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: 44.1 ?????
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 09:33:10 PM »
Hi Marc

Could it be there are some settings on your IMAC that need some adjusting? For me I have windows based laptops and I honestly had no idea one could set the USB output to something higher than CD quality. Honestly I felt so stupid when the nice members here showed me the screen caps and how to set the usb output on my computer. I would try the settings on the IMAC there if you haven't done so already.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 06:22:21 PM »
You are confusing sampling rates with bit rates.  44.1Khz is the standard sampling rate for mpeg1, including CDs and WAV files.  384Kbps is the rate at which Wav files etc are sent to processors and across networks.

Broadband Internet companies, as well as all ISPs, maesure the speed of their services in K or (M)bps.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 09:04:21 AM »
Doh. Do I feel dumb.  :duh My mistake.

Thanks for clarifying.

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 09:13:33 AM »
Sleepy--no need to feel bad.  Easy mistake to make.  You were probably tired.  Nothing a little nap can't solve.

Marc, when your amp shows "44.1," it is actually running at 384Kbps.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 02:11:38 PM »
Yes, but MPEG-1 by definition is a lossy compression format. If you are using the IMAC to simply stream online music services like PAndora it is fine, but if you are planning to use the IMAC as a musiic server you need to  move off of MP3 and other lossy stsyems and start using a lossless format like FLAC or ACC. This will not only allow you to get the full fidelity that is contained on rebook CDs, but also allow you to play higher resolution files like those being sold by HD Tracks and Acoustic Sounds. The bottom line is there is no way to get "the best"
sound out of your IMAC using music encoded with a lossy format which by its very intent trades off sound quality for a smaller file size.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables