Author Topic: Alan Maher Quantum Studio  (Read 24074 times)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Alan Maher Quantum Studio
« on: August 23, 2009, 09:35:25 AM »
Over the last 6 months, I've had the opportunity to try numerous power products and cables - all having had a clear sonic impact.  Given that, I've come to accept just how much correlation there is between power and sound quality, particularly since I live in an old section of Durham NC where all power is above ground and often subject to the whims of weather and other strange anomalies.

In the course of this time, I also began reading more about Alan Maher products both here on AN (see http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=1458.0) as well as over on Audio Circle. All of his products focus on the various causes of power line noise. Some are designed to focus component-specific, others system wide, and still others meant to treat non-audio circuits in an effort to improve the overall power grid in your home. I'm not an EE, but am intriqued by his approach.

I was fortunate enough to be reading AC at a time when Alan released his latest Quantum Studio (QS) component at OEM pricing for a very short period of time.  I jumped and received it approximately 1 month ago.  The QS is designed to be run in parallel by plugging it into a spare outlet from where all other components are fed.  I've got a dedicated 20a circuit with a single duplex so the QS went in oneoutlet, the other feeding my Running Springs Jaco which in turn feeds everything else.  (we'll postpone the discussion as to whether the QS and Jaco are, in fact redundant, for a later time).

As Alan very openly notes and others have posted, the first few weeks of breakin with most of his products will not sound good and, given that the QS has Bybees in it, it takes at least a month to hear the full benefit.  Well, they're right.  I've not heard anything that has as remarkable a breakin period as the QS.  After just a short time, the sytem went flat. Soundstage collapsed, details gone, and bass missing in action. It was like I replaced all my components with a low-end receiver.

But between two and three weeks, the soundstage started opening up again, details began to reappear.  The top-end still varied a bit day by day and bass was kinda flabby when present.  Still, something good was going on.

Week 3 ,.. Soundstage took a nice step forward, details not only in voice and instrument, but in the finesse of harmonic decay, were wonderfully noticeable.  At 1 day short of 4 weeks, bass is now deep, tight and tuneful, mids have a richness I've not heard much from solid state and top end is extended yet relaxed. If I have to compare it to anything else I've heard, it would be all the benefits of the Equitech balanced conditioner (huge soundstage, bass slam, extended top-end) without the transformer hum. But of course, there's no way to directly compare.  But, to me, there is definitely more there now than before I added the Quantum Studio and it sounds damn good!

Is there a down-side?  Well, Alan will tell you that if the QS looses power for more than a few minutes, it will throw things back requiring the QS to have to restabilize the circuit again.  At some point, I'll have the courage to pull the plug on the QS just to see what happens, but not yet - things are sounding too good. I'll give it another couple weeks before I do that.  Might want a few witnesses when I do... ;-)

I have to echo other reviews about Alan Maher products... the Quantum Studio conveys a remarkable sonic improvement without any downside short of the breakin period as far as I can tell.  Definitely worth checking out...

Phil

Re: Alan Maher Quantum Studio
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 02:23:56 PM »
Mike,

Nice review.  Just for the record:  My power went out recently for 45 minutes without a problem.  Of course, rather than being concerned about our felines or sleeping in 100 degree stagnant air, I was wondering what it would do to the sound.   :rofl:

This nervosa is bad stuff!  Glad you are enjoying the sound.

Phil

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 02:29:05 PM »
Nice Mike. Now you got me thinking about trying it, because our sonic observations are so often very close. But you need to practice your hyperbole before you can equal rollo's Alan Maher product reviews. ;)

I volunteer to be a witness when you pull the plug on your nirvana. How long is it supposed to take before the effects are resuscitated after a flat line? Not 30 days again?

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 03:43:58 PM »
Phil, it's great to hear that you did not experience any bad degradation after 45 minutes.  Alan said that an extended power outage could set you back a week or two.

What I really want to hear is what my sytem will sound like after I pull the QS out since it should revert back to pre-QS sound quality within a matter of minutes. 

If folks are around Labor Day weekend, perhaps we could do a mini-G2G just for the sake of this.   Might be fun!  AlanMaherDesigns dot com will also be having a Labor Day sale on most all of their gear so the timing could be good.  Let me see what I can arrange and will post here if anyone is interested.

Phil

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 05:14:07 PM »
You guys are sooooo brave.  May I thank you on behalf of curious audiophiles worldwide (enough hyperbole, Rich?). 

That would be an interesting experiment.   I look forward to reading the results. 

Mike,
when you are ready and when I have another few days on the Infinity CBF (the one Rollo loves), I'm going to tweak your nervosa.  If the magic doesn't disappear, and refinement continues,  in the next few days, it is fair to say that this little $25 box takes the Quantum up a level. 

On behalf of audiophiles worldwide, I have to ask:  When did you try a tweak or buy anything that cost $25 audio dollars (equivalent to 25 cents in real world goods)? 

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 05:52:30 PM »
Phil... yeah, I'm thinking the Infinity CBF is definitely on my list.  My problem is simply how to prioritize among the many products.  The Infinity is a no brainer I think, particularly after my experience with the Quantum Studio.

Rich, regarding the hyperbole... well, I've learned my lesson there.  It's real easy to get caught on the next-totally-awesome-gottahaveit-thing bandwagon.  But... this stuff definitely seems to fall into that category.  At least it's working for me.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 05:57:24 AM »
Nice Mike. Now you got me thinking about trying it, because our sonic observations are so often very close. But you need to practice your hyperbole before you can equal rollo's Alan Maher product reviews. ;)

I volunteer to be a witness when you pull the plug on your nirvana. How long is it supposed to take before the effects are resuscitated after a flat line? Not 30 days again?

It takes 16/17 days. About a week to hear any substantial improvement. Be patient.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

AlanMaher

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 01:53:35 AM »
Mike-
Thank you for your review.   :)  Single parallel filters, especially of this magnitude, require a backup network in order to maintain sonic quality during power loss.  As in Phil's case, he has not only the main circuit covered with multiple filters, but he also has non-AV circuits addressed, which help greatly to reduce the strange anomalies in harmonics when the power is switched on and off.  The strange anomalies of harmonics really has to do with the interaction of the circuit breaker and the adjoining circuits.  They also go through a period of magnetic flux, simply because things are plugged into those circuits.  Since everything is connected at the panel, all of those imperfections are heard on every circuit as is.  All the goodies of the QS are heard on those parallel circuits as well.  By damping the non-AV circuits, we can control the magnetic flux during power outages.  As Phil said, power can be out at 45 minutes at a clip, and you will experience 0 loss of quality.  One suggestion, as we've discussed, is to pick up two or three Ref II filters - these will help in the bass and lower mid region, as well as the top end.  Another option for some spare storage around the house is to look at the upcoming PE v3.  PE is famous for storing stray voltage during times of peak and releasing it during dips.  The v3 is now all copper foil caps, and that has definitely improved the filter's sound quality.  I look forward to your experiment during Labor Day.  If you guys can round up 10 or more, we can always work up a bulk order package.  Keep us posted!

Regards,
Alan Maher

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 02:15:02 AM »
I've been sitting on the fence about these products and reading / ruminating. After reading, the product's design and power supply in my location seem to indicate the products are not for me.

I'm in rural NH where we experience power outages from time to time, from seconds to a few hours, to this past December's ice storm related 8 days. Frankly, it seems overly problematic to consider using a product that after more than 45 minute's of power loss (A. Maher's post) may subsequently require "16/17 days" (per Rollo's post) to reset. Probably not an apt fit for my area, which is not to say it does not work for others. Thanks to all for their informative posts, and my best to all who can make use of Mr. Haher's products.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 07:56:16 AM »
I've been sitting on the fence about these products and reading / ruminating. After reading, the product's design and power supply in my location seem to indicate the products are not for me.

I'm in rural NH where we experience power outages from time to time, from seconds to a few hours, to this past December's ice storm related 8 days. Frankly, it seems overly problematic to consider using a product that after more than 45 minute's of power loss (A. Maher's post) may subsequently require "16/17 days" (per Rollo's post) to reset. Probably not an apt fit for my area, which is not to say it does not work for others. Thanks to all for their informative posts, and my best to all who can make use of Mr. Haher's products.

Maybe I should have clarified that the 16/17 day period was for initial break in NOT resetting. I do not have a clue how long the Quantum Studio takes to reset. Hopefully Alan can chime in here.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 08:50:41 AM »
I will say that as far as the Quantum Studio is concerned, break in is only beginning to achieve improvements at the 16-17 day mark.  After 3 weeks things were sound much better than pre-QS.  I'm just a bit over 4 weeks now and loving it.

Alan did address the issues with loss-of-power reset.  I suspect after a significant outage, it could take a couple weeks to restore nirvana ;-) although if you're also using his Ref IIs or PEs, the risk of audible loss is evidentally diminished a good bit. 

I'll post my findings when I'm brave enough to pull the plug...

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 12:06:33 PM »
That's awesome Mike. Especially since your experience is lining up with rollo and Phil. I can't wait to hear it. Hopefully is demonstrable without requiring lengthy reforming of the effects.

Phil

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 07:25:28 PM »
I have to agree with Rollo's enthusiastic report on the Infinity CBF, the little black box that costs all of $25.  In my system, the infinity reduces noise beyond what the Quantum AC can (and that really surprised me) and works perfectly with the Quantum.

Specifically, it deepens the bass significantly (much more woof in the woofer) and generally adds more weight and body to instruments.  Spatial information is also improved, as is tonality.  Cool stuff. 

This little experiment makes me realize just how much junk finds its way into components.  The infinity is well worth trying.  Mine is taped over the bottom outlet of the amp's dedicated line. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:34:03 PM by Phil »

AlanMaher

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 01:34:24 AM »
Phil-
That is an excellent choice as a second application once the circuit breaker/panel wiring has been treated.

AlanMaher

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 06:42:13 AM »
Phil-
I forgot to mention, the Infinity CBF can also be used to treat non-a/v circuits the same way as our active line.  Non-A/V circuits will magnify the dynamic tonal reproduction you are already enjoying with the single Infinity CBF.  I have about 10 installed throughout the home to address non-A/V circuits...some circuits have more than one installed, but they are used to filter specific applications (appliances/lighting).