Author Topic: Cary Audio  (Read 5846 times)

ameuba10

Cary Audio
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:34:51 PM »
Hey, do any of you local guys know much about Cary Audio, ironically located in Apex? Im finishing up my degree and I am looking for an electronics based internship. Since I love home and mobile audio, I figure why not start looking for internships in that area. Does anyone local here work there or know of anyone that does that I may get in contact with? Or does anyone else know of another business that I could look into?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Cary Audio
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »
Adam,
AudioAdvice has a home theater installation part of the business, as well as in-house audio technician. Might be something there for intern.

I know someone who worked at Cary, you'll meet him if you come to our next listening party. Something in the next 5-6 weeks. Growth wise, they are past prime, imo, but might be a good learning experience for intern. 

Temp agencies are sometimes a good place to get a foot into a technology position. Your college should have job advisors for non audio internships, I'm sure you already know about that. There is a lot of tech work in the Triangle and "down east."  Aerotech is one of the biggest contract joints in town, for after you graduate, but a real job is usually more fun than a contract.

djdube525

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 03:19:27 AM »
Given a lot of the larger mfg is overseas, it might be worthwhile getting in with a large company that mfgs overseas... You'll get good experience learning about the supply chain, and general development practices. You could possibly augment that by offering up weekend/night-time internship with someone like Selah. Not sure if he could use the extra hand, or would be in a position to pay... Might be able to work out reduced pricing in lieu of pay. Gould have to talk to Rick.

Back to the original Q... Someplace like a Lenovo could provide some solid mfg/design experience.

Just a suggestion.

Dave

Offline goldlizsts

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Let Music Pass!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 01:40:06 PM »
Adam,
AudioAdvice has a home theater installation part of the business, as well as in-house audio technician. Might be something there for intern.

I know someone who worked at Cary, you'll meet him if you come to our next listening party. Something in the next 5-6 weeks. Growth wise, they are past prime, imo, but might be a good learning experience for intern. 

Temp agencies are sometimes a good place to get a foot into a technology position. Your college should have job advisors for non audio internships, I'm sure you already know about that. There is a lot of tech work in the Triangle and "down east."  Aerotech is one of the biggest contract joints in town, for after you graduate, but a real job is usually more fun than a contract.

Agree that Cary is on the down slope now (not speeding up, like in skiing though!).  Why?  I built a preamp via their AES division.  Now that's gone when I tried to look into their website.  Things have been consolidated back into Cary.....

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
Dennis Had has retired. HT and SS products get more attention now.

djdube525

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:35:45 PM »
You know... Another idea would be to work for a radio station as an engineer... Sol may have some insights. Spectra Site (cell tower company in Cary) might be another option... Both could open up some exposure to RF design. There's also General Dynamics in Newton, NC... They make specialized antennas.

Really is a tough nut to crack in the NC area... At least to hit all the requisites...

Offline JBryan

• Seeking Help
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 05:49:50 AM »
I had the pleasure of visiting the Cary Audio facility back when they were in Cary (late '90's). I went to see a fellow named Tony but also met Mr. Had and got a tour. The 'factory' was located in an business park (those buildings with truck docks lined up next to each other) and there was a reception area, a meeting/lunch room, a couple of offices and a 50' x 50' area where the gear was built. Cary was a pretty small set up with <10 employees so I'm not sure they could even fit an intern in there. I would imagine this is a fairly common set up in the boutique audio industry and even though Cary was flying high back then, I don't think they were flush with $ and may have a hard time affording another person much less finding space for them. I was there to buy the prototype of their recently introduced 845SEI amp and I got the impression that Charles was just freeing up space and gave the amp to Tony as a bonus.

Another possibility in Raleigh... my brother interned at Johnson Controls as a mechanical engineer for 2 summers and they gave him a job after he graduated from NCST. That may be an easier route to start and then you can jump into more esoteric stuff like home audio.

djdube525

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »
Oh a couple other companies... sorry... for the thread jack... they might have something more RF/Analog in nature which is what I think you want.

Sensus
Elster

Both are in the wireless utility metering (smart meters) technology... I believe both companies are head quartered in the area.

There's a small antenna company off Six Forks Rd in Raleigh... Mohu... they do mostly government work, but they did put out a residential HDTC antenna.