Author Topic: New Grover ICs??  (Read 52593 times)

Offline bobrex

• Seeking Help
New Grover ICs??
« on: September 20, 2007, 12:05:59 PM »
From the Steve Hoffman site:

"Well, seems to be another upgrade in store. I emailed Grover this morning on the status of my order of "S" IC's, and he emailed me back the following:

Hi Sam, you're very lucky, I spent a while developing a new design that kills the graphite cable. I just made the special size cables in the SC version and sending them today

Sounds interesting, huh?"

So Grover, what's new?  And for those of us still breaking in the graphites, can we upgrade?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: New Grover ICs??
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 01:11:58 PM »
Nobody should be surprised that Grover continually releases new versions of his products, this is common knowledge and I hope it will continue for many years.  :)  Sometime in the future I will audition the new version to see how much better than mine they are. I am confident the price of new ones will still be low and my old ones will still be better than anything available at the time for the same price.

Those who bought their 'grovers' in the AN group buy have already received two free upgrades from the black/white version that was originally offered for the group buy and sent on demo tour. The offer to upgrade whites to graphite was very generous and fair. We also received a 30% discount and a 4 month window to make up our minds, so I don't expect to receive more free upgrades from the GB deal.

Never hurts to ask, of course, but I just wanted to point out what we have already received. Grover has been very generous.
Rich

LKdog

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 02:53:10 PM »
Hey Rich-

While it is nice to see a designer continually trying to test and improve their product-it is a bit odd to be honest.

The most recent latest/greatest Grovers with the graphite techflex were shipped out in August.
Many people are still breaking them in.
These supposedly were a big improvement over the previous white versions, although some disagreed.

It is now September.

Not sure how he found time to develop a new cable as he was filling the Group Buy order for a few weeks and then was off hiking for a few weeks.  :)

He must work fast.

"Hi Sam, you're very lucky, I spent a while developing a new design that kills the graphite cable."

A little disconcerted to hear I now have a month old IC from him that is killed by his new better version yet he claimed it was such a wonderful cable just a few weeks ago.  :shock:
Now he is throwing it under the bus.

As you know, I like do the version I have very much and have been quite positive overall about my experience with it.

Have no idea how his new version is better in his opinion and there is no website or information about it anywhere.
Maybe he would wish to provide some information about it here.

Curious business model. I do not know what to make of it.
I do like the August 2007 version I have and will be keeping them.  :rofl:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 05:48:12 PM »
I know where you're coming from Tony. We all want the feeling of having "the latest and greatest" to last more than one month.

I would rather get the latest and greatest idea fresh out of the artist's head than to have him sit on it for a year because of some arbitrary marketing scheme. If it changes again next month, I don't have a problem with that, because I auditioned what I bought and decided it was excellent at that moment. If my nervosa (nirvana ;) ) demands, I can always buy the newest version, it's not that expensive and he deserves to get paid for latest tweak. But I know my capitalist point of view is not always shared.  :D

Bigfish8

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 06:25:15 PM »
Guys:

Lets enjoy the Graphite Versions for 6 months and then try to persuade Grover to support another Group Buy! :)

Ken

LKdog

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 06:35:31 PM »
I think Carlman maybe suggested the idea of Grover having a few different versions with different characteristics. A Grover S I, SII, SII type thing.

One difficult thing, though, is that it is really hard to recommend his IC's as you would not have any idea what he is making at a particular time.

Oh well, Grover is certainly unique and I certainly can say that the product I have was worth the money.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 09:49:39 PM »
I understand the frustration. Mine aren't completely broken in either. But by now, I'm used to Grover's constant upgrades. For the money and level of performance, I can't gripe too much. I'm going to enjoy these for a while, just like Ken suggested

Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 07:25:32 AM »
Grover e-mailed me yesterday that:

" ... progress in the RCA cable. It's a new design ... It's much better than the graphite cable. The new cable has a whole new carbon nickel shield, and is more expensive but so worth it.
I'm going to let anyone send in their older cable and upgrade to this Grover SC cable for $75.
The retail price of this new cable is $225.
It's alot harder to make with more expensive materials.
But the sound is so amazing... "

Offline bobrex

• Seeking Help
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 07:41:39 AM »
Rich,

Grover has supported updates before - that's why I asked.  And it appears that will be the case again.  Grover has no web site and no retail presence, so I'm gonna guess that between us and the Hoffman site the majority of his supporters/ customers are covered.  I just wanted to get the word out here.

Offline mboldda1

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 08:31:28 AM »
is this the upgrade price for any grover version or just upgrade from the graphite?
Freelance Reviewer For StereoMojo  System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1162599347

grover

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 09:21:53 AM »
Guys, I'm always researching and developing. This new cable with the carbon nickel shield is wonderful. The graphite cable has not been discontinued it remains as before. The Grover SC cable is more expensive as the cost is greater and more labor intensive. Any of you that wishes to upgrade to the SC cable may send me either of the Group buy cables plus $75 (1 meter a little more on longer lengths) to cover the additional cost. This offer is opened ended. I have great news, after years of fighting I finally received my Patent.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 09:42:27 AM by grover »

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 09:37:39 AM »
Congrats.    Now maybe we can see some of the magic behind the design.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline bobrex

• Seeking Help
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 11:18:10 AM »
Grover,

Congrats on the patent, it's about time. 

So how does this new shield affect flexibility?  And for that matter, are the conductors is the graphte the same as in the white?  The graphites seem a little more flexible than the whites.

Thanks for the upgrade offer, I'll probably take you up on it.  How much more for 2 and 3m cables?

jrebman

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 11:52:12 AM »
Grover,

Congratulations on getting te patent!  Can you tell me the upgrade cost for a 1.5 meter pair?

Will this effect the speaker cables at all?

Thanks,

Jim

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 12:04:12 PM »
The upgrade offer is awesome. I'm glad it's not free, that would destroy any profit you made on the group buy. Congrats on the patent. That is great news!!!
Rich