Author Topic: Who in the local area has a good tube tester?  (Read 4542 times)

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Who in the local area has a good tube tester?
« on: December 07, 2009, 07:21:45 PM »
My tester that does a pretty good job with transconductance, etc. is acting a bit funky.  I honestly haven't used it for about 5 years and it appears that something went awry while it sat around.  Dr. Sol might be able to assist...  but honestly, it might be easier to see if someone else has a working unit.

I've got a bunch of rectifier tubes and preamp tubes that I'd like to test to see if they are any good. 

I've got a bunch of 5U4G rectifiers and a box of 5R4 rectifiers.

I've also got a ton of 6SN7 tubes here that I'm not sure if they are any good or not. 

Any help is greatly appreciated...  Thanks!
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline stereofool

Re: Who in the local area has a good tube tester?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 02:34:36 AM »
I have a Hickock 539B, but like you haven't used it in a long time. However, you are welcome to play with it.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 06:41:05 AM »
Great,

If you can bring it along to a future get together, that would be fantastic....  I think my old one is giving up the ghost as it is not responding well to anything I try....

Shane Sangster

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 11:02:10 AM »
I'm in need of a tester again... I really should just buy another one for myself or get my broken one fixed...

anyways, before I bother steve (since I unknowingly kept his for waaaaaay too long in my closet last time he loaned it to me), does anyone have a tester in the local area where I can check out a couple quads of 6SN7 variants?  I got a bunch of the Treasure CV181s and I'm curious how well they test out of the box.... 

Thanks!
Shane Sangster

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 10:13:34 PM »
I'm in need of a tester again... I really should just buy another one for myself or get my broken one fixed...

anyways, before I bother steve (since I unknowingly kept his for waaaaaay too long in my closet last time he loaned it to me), does anyone have a tester in the local area where I can check out a couple quads of 6SN7 variants?  I got a bunch of the Treasure CV181s and I'm curious how well they test out of the box.... 

Thanks!
If you are looking to buy...........

http://cgis.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl?searchstring=tube+tester&B1=go

http://cgis.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl?searchstring=tube+tester&B1=go
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables