Author Topic: New Member with revised philosophy  (Read 2904 times)

Offline LP retired

New Member with revised philosophy
« on: August 15, 2018, 12:38:28 PM »
Hello to all,

Well I would say that I have been enjoying our hobby ever since my first purchase consisting of a Sansui 350A, Garrard 40B, and some kind of Utah speakers in the later 60's. Soon after that I upgraded (I think) to a Dual 1215 and it's pretty much been no stopping ever since.

When I discovered the high-end it became an obsession with getting what I believed was the very best regardless of cost. Looking back I'm not even sure how I was able to afford what I purchased with what I was earning, but somehow I managed to buy new Levinson ML-2's, an ML-3, LNC 2 crossover, Magnaplanar Tympani 4's and a lot of other quality components along the journey.

Soon after life got in the way and audio for a time being took a back seat. When I returned it was similar to falling off the wagon. Starting innocently and then one thing led to another but with a new view of how to achieve audio bliss without budget breaking. Simply put I'm happy now with trying to acquire 95% of SOTA with approximately 20% of what competitive products cost with the same goal in mind.

My system now costs about half in today's dollars of what my system 30 years ago cost leaving me with a tough choice on which system   is the top performer. How is this possible? With advancements in technology and the sharing of knowledge of quality audiophiles. This sharing is much appreciated by me.

Present system

Musical Fidelity A-5 (extensively tweaked)
Hornshoppe Truth Line stage
PI Audio Uberbuss
Dennis Had Triode Set Amp
Tekton Double Impacts
GIK bass traps
PI Audio Diffusors
many custom traps
TWL, Signal, and Cullen P.C.'s
Belden 8402 I.C.
Duelund DCA 12 S.C.
Herbie's, Herbie's, and more Herbie's
Currently testing receptacles, and HF MC 0.5's

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Re: New Member with revised philosophy
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 02:07:55 PM »
Welcome, aboard!

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 02:10:56 PM »
Hello to all,

Well I would say that I have been enjoying our hobby ever since my first purchase consisting of a Sansui 350A, Garrard 40B, and some kind of Utah speakers in the later 60's. Soon after that I upgraded (I think) to a Dual 1215 and it's pretty much been no stopping ever since.

When I discovered the high-end it became an obsession with getting what I believed was the very best regardless of cost. Looking back I'm not even sure how I was able to afford what I purchased with what I was earning, but somehow I managed to buy new Levinson ML-2's, an ML-3, LNC 2 crossover, Magnaplanar Tympani 4's and a lot of other quality components along the journey.

Soon after life got in the way and audio for a time being took a back seat. When I returned it was similar to falling off the wagon. Starting innocently and then one thing led to another but with a new view of how to achieve audio bliss without budget breaking. Simply put I'm happy now with trying to acquire 95% of SOTA with approximately 20% of what competitive products cost with the same goal in mind.

My system now costs about half in today's dollars of what my system 30 years ago cost leaving me with a tough choice on which system   is the top performer. How is this possible? With advancements in technology and the sharing of knowledge of quality audiophiles. This sharing is much appreciated by me.

Present system

Musical Fidelity A-5 (extensively tweaked)
Hornshoppe Truth Line stage
PI Audio Uberbuss
Dennis Had Triode Set Amp
Tekton Double Impacts
GIK bass traps
PI Audio Diffusors
many custom traps
TWL, Signal, and Cullen P.C.'s
Belden 8402 I.C.
Duelund DCA 12 S.C.
Herbie's, Herbie's, and more Herbie's
Currently testing receptacles, and HF MC 0.5's

Hello LP, thanks for posting and welcome to the forum! That’s a very interesting and nice selection of components. How are you liking the Tektons? I nearly bought the Impact Monitors, but there wasn’t much information on them at the time, so I happily settled on the very good KEF LS 50s...and they were cheap! As to the Herbies, I really need to try his stuff one of these days.
Nick B
Administrator
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline LP retired

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 02:44:18 PM »
Pete, Thanks for the warm welcome.

Hi Nick, I think Tekton fit my audio requirements to a tee! I have been listening to Spendor SP-1's as my best for close to 30 years and I really doubted that the D.I.'s would unseat them, but I would say after living with Tekton for about a year that they offer the opportunity to get you closer to the real event.

I was able to listen to the Monitors at Axpona, but there was way more chatter going on than music playing so it was hard for me to form any kind of opinion.

I never had the pleasure of getting a chance to hear the KEF's. There is so much great gear I hope to listen to going forward.

LP

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 06:06:29 PM »
Howdy,

Good to see that you are a user of some of my products and I (we - me and Greg) do appreciate it.

It is all about the music IMO/IME and I think you are well on your way.

Welcome to the group, LP... you'll fit right in here.  There is no real BS or any population of jerks, but those that share to love for what we do.

Enjoy!!!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline LP retired

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 07:51:38 PM »
Thank you Dave for the hospitality and kind words. Also a huge thank you for the excellent products you guys manufacturer that fit exactly into my restructured philosophy!

Best Wishes,
     LP

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 09:04:26 PM »
Welcome, LP.

And, as Dave said:
There is no real BS or any population of jerks, but those that share to love for what we do.

Precisely why I love hanging out around here.

Paul