Author Topic: subwoofer Hi vs Low level connection  (Read 2977 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
subwoofer Hi vs Low level connection
« on: August 19, 2019, 03:49:09 PM »
Just curious how everyone connects their subs. I am connecting using low level RCA's. How are you connected??
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: subwoofer Hi vs Low level connection
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 04:43:27 PM »
That's easy, I don't.

Since I got the Mac amp I simply no longer feel the need to run the subs with the Nolas.

However when I did, I ran them from the preamp level RCAs. The problem with running the subs ona speaker level input is that they sub then has to take on the "flavor" of your power amp. And that flavor may or may not blend in well with the way the speaker was voice, which I would assume was done with the sub's internal amp. Of course, as always, that idea is a good starting point, but a final decision needs to be made based on listening to the sub connected both ways to your own equipment in your own room.

The other thing that always worried me about using speaker level connections to drive a sub is that in doing so aren't you essentially putting the crossover in the sub in parallel with the crossover in your speakers.  And if the amp's output impedance is part of the crossover circuitry, can't changing that impedance by paralleling the amp with the sub change the performance characteristics of the speakers crossover?

HAL and any of our other speaker design gurus, any thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 04:47:36 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 06:17:09 PM »
That's easy, I don't.

Since I got the Mac amp I simply no longer feel the need to run the subs with the Nolas.

However when I did, I ran them from the preamp level RCAs. The problem with running the subs ona speaker level input is that they sub then has to take on the "flavor" of your power amp. And that flavor may or may not blend in well with the way the speaker was voice, which I would assume was done with the sub's internal amp. Of course, as always, that idea is a good starting point, but a final decision needs to be made based on listening to the sub connected both ways to your own equipment in your own room.

The other thing that always worried me about using speaker level connections to drive a sub is that in doing so aren't you essentially putting the crossover in the sub in parallel with the crossover in your speakers.  And if the amp's output impedance is part of the crossover circuitry, can't changing that impedance by paralleling the amp with the sub change the performance characteristics of the speakers crossover?

Yea PS Audio is sold on high level. Also I meant active sub. The crossover does not apply in this case.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 06:17:54 PM »
I use balanced inputs on the Rythmik amps.  No problems with ground loops. I used the line level inputs before.

One technique with some sub amps with R/L RCA inputs is to use a Y to both inputs from the preamp out.  Increases signal level to the amp. 

If the amp you use has a balanced bridge output it needs to be investigated with the sub amp company.  Some have grounded negative and would likely blow the output stage of the amp. 

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 08:21:41 PM »
That's easy, I don't.

Yea PS Audio is sold on high level. Also I meant active sub. The crossover does not apply in this case.

It may not not have a crossover per se, but it at least has to have some kind of low pass filter to make sure only bass signals get to the sub. And that low pass filter is essentially just a crossover that dumps all of the non bass signals instead of passing them on.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 08:28:28 PM »
Using the High Level inputs of a capable sub does not eliminate the crossover in an active sub just the routing method of the input signal.  I have a pair of Rythmik F12 subs in two different systems with one pair hooked up with each method and it changes nothing in how you set up the sub. 
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 05:04:36 AM »
That's easy, I don't.

It may not not have a crossover per se, but it at least has to have some kind of low pass filter to make sure only bass signals get to the sub. And that low pass filter is essentially just a crossover that dumps all of the non bass signals instead of passing them on.

My point is that it the crossover is active. I haven't measured yet but I presume the input impedance is fairly high on the sub amp. I don't think there and disadvantages per se. 

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 05:45:33 AM »
The other thing to think about is that the low level signal has been through less amplification stages than the speaker level.  That usually means more added noise and distortion for the high level outputs. 

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 12:16:04 PM »
  When I used Subs with the Pipedreams I tried Mapleshades suggestion to use speaker wires from amp to sub. Sounded better to me than IC from preamp. Try both ways and listen to difference.

charles
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 12:17:46 PM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 03:50:24 PM »
REL suggests that you use the high level taps from the amp to the sub. They say it helps convey the "flavor" of the amp to the sub's which make them blend better with the speaker. I did this for a while with my old speakers and it worked wonderfully.

However, I need to cut off the bottom end of my Apogees to avoid the dreaded bass buzz, so I have an NHT subwoofer crossover. This fits between the preamp and the amp and allows me to cutoff the main speakers at about 80Hz. I then use RCA's from this NHT crossover to my stereo REL subs and can adjust their phase and signal strength and top end cutoff frequency and a few other things to dial them in perfectly.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 07:20:23 PM »
OK so today I had some time to try the high level input. What an improvement. Before had a lack of bass impact. However, the Wells Audio amp has a strong low end and it really helped using it to drive the sub amp. It made improvement in space, low end of acoustic guitar and even voices sound richer. Yay!!