Author Topic: TEKTON SPEAKERS  (Read 5732 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
TEKTON SPEAKERS
« on: January 08, 2019, 08:22:25 AM »
  Lots of buzz going on. Anyone hear them ??

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: TEKTON SPEAKERS
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 08:46:40 AM »
No. But there is a really annoying guy on WBF that posts about them.

They look extremely foolish from an engineering perspective. None of their tech talk makes any sense.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 01:04:28 PM »
The first tikme I saw Tektons I thought how stupid they looked and had concerns about lobing and wondering who in their right mind would design a speaker with a tweeter array.

Then I heard a pair.  To say dumbfounded would be an understatement.  I kept listening for problems as I moved around the room, but all I got was music that was amazing in midrange and high frequency tonality and delicacy.  The bass to mid range hand off was way better than I expected and essentially seamless.

Effortless in a way that only a very few horn loaded speakers can be.

I have a client that has a pair of Double Impacts and the only other speakers that are on his list are Volti Aluras.  He loves his Tektons, but the Aluras are stunning pieces of work on every level.

I learned a lot the day I heard te Tektons...  Never say never.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Folsom

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 01:37:55 PM »
Interesting

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 01:39:33 PM »
I heard the smaller Tekton speakers in the Parasound room at RMAF2017 and was very happy with the way they sounded. 

The outer ring of tweeters is not covering the same bandwidth as the center tweeter.  More like a coaxial idea from the discussion.

Worth a listen.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 06:41:38 PM »
I was quite interested in the Tektons within the last two years. Spoke with the designer, Eric, who at least on the one occasion we spoke, seemed rather disinterested. I then spoke with his assistant....his wife?...who was quite pleasant. I wanted to buy the standmount Impact Monitor and specifically mentioned I didn’t want a floorstanding model,  but was told on a couple of occasions that was not the proper speaker for my room.
I very much appreciate the manufacturer’s input on a purchase, but I wanted and needed a smaller speaker. Maybe I should have auditioned the Monitor nonetheless, but the interaction was a bit strange.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 08:29:31 PM »
I was :( very surprised when I heard themin a home, not show setting.

I get the low moving mass midrange concept.  It makes perfect sense in retrospect.  Either you energize enough very low mass drivers enough to make magic or one low mass driver with an acoustic transformer (horn or waveguide) a small amount to create the wavefront.

Sorry to hear about your interaction, but let me tell you:  a good portion of my day is spent answering emails or phone calls.  When your ass is against the wall communication can be a very difficult and occasionally vexing. 

When one runs a very small audio business where all of your customer’s hair is on fire sometimes we are not at our best.  Personally this has come to roost here, ergo my semi-retirement from my semi-retirement.

For anyone I have pissed off in the past - I’m sorry. 
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 08:50:48 PM »

I get the low moving mass midrange concept.  It makes perfect sense in retrospect.  Either you energize enough very low mass drivers enough to make magic or one low mass driver with an acoustic transformer (horn or waveguide) a small amount to create the wavefront.

Sorry to hear about your interaction, but let me tell you:  a good portion of my day is spent answering emails or phone calls.  When your ass is against the wall communication can be a very difficult and occasionally vexing. 

When one runs a very small audio business where all of your customer’s hair is on fire sometimes we are not at our best.  Personally this has come to roost here, ergo my semi-retirement from my semi-retirement.

Understand what you’re saying Dave and I don’t judge folks on just one interaction. Another forum member visited Tekton in person and his experience wasn’t the greatest. I’m not here to knock Tekton and we have a mostly fun, positive forum here. It’s just unfortunate that things transpired this way for me and that Tekton lost a sale because I was ready to buy those Impact Monitors. Had I done so, I wouldn’t be needing subs which I’m still thinking about.
Eric’s products get excellent reviews and I hope his sales are excellent.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 08:18:18 PM »

Understand what you’re saying Dave and I don’t judge folks on just one interaction. Another forum member visited Tekton in person and his experience wasn’t the greatest. I’m not here to knock Tekton and we have a mostly fun, positive forum here. It’s just unfortunate that things transpired this way for me and that Tekton lost a sale because I was ready to buy those Impact Monitors. Had I done so, I wouldn’t be needing subs which I’m still thinking about.
Eric’s products get excellent reviews and I hope his sales are excellent.
It is just a fact of life that there are some very bright and capable people out there that also have few or zero people skills.  Then there are some great people that build poor products.  It’s just the world we live in.

Offline Folsom

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 09:08:44 PM »
I've looked into them more. My assessment seems accurate. They tweeters destroy phase so they actually present a more macro sound that isn't bad. They are going to sound less like a recording.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 06:14:22 PM »
The Double Impact has only 1 tweeter in that array, at the center. The rest are midranges that play at frequencies that prevent lobing. Or so I understand.

I spent a long day with a pair at an owners house. This guy had replaced his KEF Blades (Twos?  ~ %17K / pr.) with the Double Impacts.

The owner loves his Digital Amp Co. Maraschinos and Tommy and I visited with a new Megaschino.

Re the sound quality and listening experience, I agree 100% with P.I.  All of it. All of the stuff that people are saying that sounds so hyperbolically over-the-top is true.

Quite a feat for $3K. A fun, outgoing, bold speaker but with manners that surprise given the visual shock of the speaker.

(BTW sounded absolutely stunning with the Megaschino in a large room)

-Mike

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 06:48:48 PM by mfsoa »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 06:44:40 PM »
The Double Impact has only 1 tweeter in that array, at the center. The rest are midranges that play at frequencies that prevent lobing. Or so I understand.

I spent a long day with a pair at an owners house. This guy had replaced his KEF Blades (Twos?  ~ %17K / pr.) with the Double Impacts.

The owner loves his Digital Amp Co. Maraschinos and Tommy and I visited with a new Megaschino.

Re the sound quality and listening experience, I agree 100% with P.I.  All of it. All of the stuff that people are saying that sounds so hyperbolically over-the-top is true.

Quite a feat for $3K. A fun, outgoing, bold speaker but with manners that surprise given the visual shock of the speaker.

(BTW sounded absolutely stunning with the Maraschino in a large room)

-Mike

That’s quite an endorsement. I haven’t heard any Tektons at shows, but I did extensive research and the comments are as yours. Eric lives 3-4 hours from me in  northern Utah and maybe I’ll take a trip up there one of these days to hear those Impact Monitors
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 06:50:31 PM »
Would be a fun trip!

[I corrected the post above from Maraschino to Mega at the end...]

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 08:36:00 AM »
   Yes unconventional however the real deal. Hey maybe the designer is right and others are just wrong. At least a NEW design to hear.
   Would like to hear them with SET amps.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 02:15:14 PM »
As a speaker designer I've learned many rules of speaker design. do this, don't do that. Sometimes when you dont follow the rules you can still have a great sounding speaker. Many high end designs break the rules.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata