Author Topic: EMF Meter  (Read 3280 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
EMF Meter
« on: December 27, 2012, 12:29:32 PM »
So, my daughter got my wife one of these for Christmas, because my wife likes to watch Ghost Hunter shows.

http://ghostmeter.net/

It's an EMF meter. Yes, we went all around our house and didn't find anything conclusive, but our house was almost totally rebuilt a few years ago so there's little time for any new ghosts to settle in.

However, what did set it off were clock radios, electrical wires in the walls, the fridge, the electrical panel, and most definitely every audio component in my system. EMF generators for sure!

So if you are wondering why those Alan Mayer quarts crystals seem to work it's because your system is throwing off all sorts of EMF radiation and they are doing something to cleanse that gunk.

Maybe we should all build a Faraday cage around our system racks!

Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: EMF Meter
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:39:58 AM »
Bob. Cool. Hey willing to experiment for us ??? Can you measure if the Alan Maher stuff changes the MF measurements ? Or any other solutions to MF.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 09:34:23 AM »
I don't think the meter is all that accurate. It can pick up EMF and make a clacking noise if it is present, but as you get closer to the source it gets louder and more frantic. It is looking at EMF fields. It's "measurement" is relative to how closely you hold it to the source of the EMF and the positioning within that field.

If it had some way to actually be positioned between an AC cord and an IEC then we may be able to measure a before and after effect on the incoming power line itself.

The more I think of a Faraday cage around a component to countain the radiation it generates, and to also isolate it from other outside influences, the more I like it. That's why some great components copper foil line their chassis and ground it.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 05:35:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure most ghosts enjoy music, so that is why they are so often found near the stereo.  They also like beer from the fridge.  ;) 

Glad you got a new toy.. sounds fun. 8)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 09:45:25 AM »
I don't think the meter is all that accurate. It can pick up EMF and make a clacking noise if it is present, but as you get closer to the source it gets louder and more frantic. It is looking at EMF fields. It's "measurement" is relative to how closely you hold it to the source of the EMF and the positioning within that field.

If it had some way to actually be positioned between an AC cord and an IEC then we may be able to measure a before and after effect on the incoming power line itself.

The more I think of a Faraday cage around a component to countain the radiation it generates, and to also isolate it from other outside influences, the more I like it. That's why some great components copper foil line their chassis and ground it.

Bob do you have any wire lathe ? If so make a cage with such and give it a listen.
    I have some military spec antistatic EMF shielding in sheet form and made an enclosure over the Plinius CDP. Ugly as heck but very affective. Improved detail and space around instruments. Impractical as built but had merit. Now I just put a piece on top of the components.
    Oh BTW only when grounded  was when I heard the improvement not before.  Love my alligator clips.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.