Author Topic: Big eyes, big dreams, small wallet  (Read 5058 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Big eyes, big dreams, small wallet
« on: December 02, 2011, 08:33:39 PM »
So how many of you read the audio rags, dream about the big budget items they favor, go to the shows and hear the stuff priced way above reasonable, and feel that you're going to get there someday, maybe in 10 years later on the used market but you will own some of this stuff?

vs.

How many of you read the magazines to see what technology has tricked down to something you can afford, read the high priced reviews and say those are not for me, go to the shows and say that the big stuff doesn't really sound all that much better than the lower priced stuff, and feel that you are lucky to enjoy music on a very nice sounding rig that you can afford in your home?
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Big eyes, big dreams, small wallet
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:43:20 PM »
Mostly B, with a little A, now and then.

Offline Lissnr

• Seeking Help
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 04:25:45 AM »
 It's fun to drool about the new stuff (but don't lean over it at the same time) while thinking "maybe someday" but mostly I'm grateful for what I have. Trickle down technology is a good thing and an itch for something new may become a step up, instead of laterally, if that new tech really is better and not just different.
I try and enjoy each 'plateau' of improvement as long as possible before my wallet gets thinned out on anything new.

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 05:55:22 PM »
Don't get out much, but am always a proud papa when I get back home.

Some equipment/systems I've heard at shows/friends do some things remarkably well, but overall am very satisfied with what I have (there is no perfect system).

Still doesn't stop the itch, so the occasionally outings help.

eleazar

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 07:03:36 PM »
Mostly B, with a little A, now and then.

I don't know if you guys can see me but I'm standing right behind Rich. Maybe he'll drop something  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 09:56:53 PM »
A, not so much. I don't read the print magazines,I let my Stereophile subscription lapse over ten years ago, it just wasn't relevant anymore. The online zines offer a wider spectrum of viewpoints and a larger cross-section of what is out there is covered.
 That being said, I do use a combination of information sources to attempt to keep up with emerging technologies but I seldom lust after a piece of gear or loudspeakers based on a reviewers opinion.
  B doesn't get much play either from a trickle down technology standpoint.
My Fisher FM 100B tube tuner was purchased used because it could sound better on the strong stations it receives than almost all SS tuners available for sale 25 years ago. Old tech instead of new tech.
 My turntable was purchased used about 12 years ago for the technology embodied in its design. The technology was never going to trickle down and in fact has become stupidly expensive in the turntables and tonearms where it has been employed.
 I don't think the used equipment market is the key to increasing my enjoyment of the music I listen to in the future.
 Pet Peeve and Rant!
What I would like to do is listen to more examples of loudspeakers where lateral thinking has been used when the designer went to the drawing board. I would like to hear loudspeakers where the designer has used cutting edge materials technology and an unconventional approach to loudspeaker design.
 There has to be a better way to move the air with much higher efficiency and lower distortion than the technology that has been used so far.
End of Rant!
Scotty

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 06:42:27 AM »
There has to be a better way to move the air with much higher efficiency and lower distortion than the technology that has been used so far.
End of Rant!
Scotty

Yeah, baby... HORNS! Properly designed ones, that is...

Not too many people talk about the DISTORTION their SPEAKERS produce, just the distortion, even / odd in their amplifiers... I have found that the majority of speakers I've heard, when pushed, to achieve some sort of dynamic range, distort very badly  :duh ... and I like DYNAMICS!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:52:40 AM by Triode Pete »
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline JLM

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 03:21:28 PM »
I envision the next speaker technology to be something digital, maybe based on a SED (sound emitting diode).  Like LED's they could produce a spectrum of frequencies.  Controls would direct an array (perhaps in a spherical shape) so that a few could handle high frequencies for proper imaging, more to produce the energy needed for low frequencies.

This is not so far fetched.  A few years ago Pioneer presented an flat array of 1 inch speakers that functioned similarly.  But a "SED", like LED's would be far more efficient.  Just as CDP's have moved to various digital transports and separate DAC's I can imagine the SED controls becoming the real key to fidelity.

Offline Face

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 03:37:10 PM »
End of Rant!
Scotty
Implemented correctly, this driver has amplifier like distortion: http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-6-midrange/accuton-c173-6-090-6.5-ceramic-cone-midrange/  There are also plenty of tweeters to choose from who have similar distortion levels.  It's not until you get to the low end where distortion rises steadily, but fortunately our ears aren't sensitive to distortion at those frequencies.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 04:07:59 PM »
Especially paper cones, thin and light to make that religious wholistic electrifying detail. It's caused by the deformation of the cone allowing it to play higher frequencies in phase, but go past the allowable SPL and that sweet deformation will bite!!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 07:41:13 AM »
Especially paper cones, thin and light to make that religious holistic electrifying detail. It's caused by the deformation of the cone allowing it to play higher frequencies in phase, but go past the allowable SPL and that sweet deformation will bite!!

Excellent statement. There is a definite sweet spot in volume. The room as well can be easily overloaded adding to the run away from that tweeter experience.
   One of the most overlooked affects in audio IMO. Just too dam loud.

charles
SMA

ch
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.