Author Topic: Death and your audio legacy  (Read 9212 times)

mgalusha

Re: Death and your audio legacy
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 08:20:40 PM »
I actually put it my will. My wife wants no part of it, so it all goes to a buddy, who will most likely sell it off and give her the money. Hope it doesn't happen any time soon.  :duh

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 08:44:19 PM »
My daughters will likely split the vinyl between them.  They already have my desirable digital media on their various electronic devices.  I think the older one is more interested in the equipment, although I need to find out from them how they feel about it.  Wife has always called the hifi "The Other Woman," so she would just as soon see it left at the curb. She'd dump it there, have a momentary forlorn look , then skip back into the house and rearrange the furniture.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 10:27:19 PM »
Funny you should ask that question,
I just has surgery(deviated septum) yesterday afternoon.
My wife asked, half joking, ( I hope), what everything is worth in case I don't wake up :?
My system was doled out to my kids and friends, my wife will be glad to see it go!

But alas,  I woke up....as you can see :rofl:

BTW that percoset is mighty powerful stuff, when I got home I took two(as per directions), 20 minutes later I was stumbling around like a crack head. Not my cup a tea, I may have to sell them on the corner :rofl:

mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 10:39:48 PM »
While we have all had some fun joking about things in this thread, a lot of serious points have been brought up (even if in jest.)

Most of our families have no idea what our hardware is and what it is worth.How many people would take one look at one of our prized tube amps and say "that must be an old piece of junk - it still has bulbs in it." And even if you do have a family member that realizes that your equipment has some value, how many in that group would have the first idea of how (or where) to go about selling a piece of high end gear? It would behoove all of us to have an audio buddy who would be willing to act as a  "designated seller" in the case of our untimely demise. And we should all make sure our family knows who that person is.

While we would all love for someone in our family to take ownership of our systems and love cherish and enjoy them as much as we did, the reality is that the odds of that happening are very slim. Even if one of our loved ones had an inclination to set up a 2 channel audio system, what are the odds that they will also be willing or able to dedicate that amount of space  to make it sing the way you did. Sad, but true.

For many of us the most valuable part of our systems is not the hardware, but our software collections. I don't know if any of you have been watching, but the prices of used vintage LPs & CDs (especially audiophile releases) has gone through the roof in the last year or so. Take a look the used  LP section of at Chad Kassem's web site http://store.acousticsounds.com/vinylvault. You will be shocked at what your collection is worth (while this link is related to preowned vinyl the same price inflation also seems to be happening to limited edition audiophile CDs as well) So while our hardware goes down in value as it drifts further and further from the state of the art the value of our software collections seems to be be increasing with age..

And while I joked about my son wanting me to leave him my hardware and software in my will Carl brings up a very good point that by the time the will is read it could be too late. All to often I have seen "vultures descend of the home of a dead friend or relative before the body is even cold. If you have specific wishes with regards to you system make sure the people close to you are aware of them. Don't assume that rational thinking will prevale after you are gone because all too often greed overtake rationality in a heartbeat.

Not a pleasent subject, but a little bit of preplanning will go a long way towards having thing go the way you would like them to after you are gone.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 11:12:58 PM »
I agree.
We spent  a large part of our life assembling this thing, it would be ashame to see it go to waste.
It probably is true that leaving it to your family would be a waste, unless there was a son or daughter who really wanted it. And honestly they really could not apprreciate what you have built.
You really need a friend to help sell it off. Most would rather have the money.
And maybe the system would remind them of their loss :(
Maybe leave your son some NOS Western Electric tubes or some sealed original pressing Beatle LPs, that stuff would be an investment, like gold in the bank!
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 11:50:55 PM »
Oh, I know where my stuff is going.  My son, at age 15 is already stealing my castoffs to build his own vinyl/tube based system.   :thumb:

I was just passing some thoughts on to the rest of the peanut gallery base on some of my recent experiences as the executor for some family estates.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline spudco

• Seeking Help
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 05:53:31 AM »
My wife is younger and more healthy than I, so hopefully she will be able to enjoy our three systems for a while. 

She loves our lifestyle (including the music).

After her, we have no idea where our estate will go...  No kids, no relatives who could handle our estate, most friends as old as us...  Probably will be "tears lost in rain".

shep

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 07:45:21 AM »
Good topic,. I adore (perv.) the thought of our beloved gear set on the curb with a "good riddance!" thrown in. I am at a loss to know though...the only people who would be interested already have decent gear. I suppose they would take everything but my speakers would go homeless. The Cd's are a more painful thought to deal with. Ideally everything should be labled: "this is for John, this is for Sally, this is for the maleman". I want a few more years yet to worry about this. I can still hear and push the right buttons.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 10:10:52 AM »
"My sons would probably trade my components, cables, etc... for hookers and blow"
 :rofl:
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 01:09:41 PM »
Perhaps this is a business (or at least a hobby) opportunity for someone to start up "The Audio Auctioneer" service that would find a good home for your audio stuff at the time of your demise via Craig's list, audiogon, etc.  Consideration to be given towards maximizing how much money could be generated, quick sale, minimal hassle, or finding an appreciating new owner.  You could let you wishes be known and have the "Audio Auctioneer" take over for your survivors.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 01:37:59 PM »
We already have an audio pimp. Maybe he needs to start catering to audio-widows as well, but definitely in a separate room from the hookers he has on display for the rest of us.

And don't think you'll be meeting any of those widows. after their audiophile dies do you really think they'll be stupid enough to hook up with you?
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 01:56:41 PM »
"The Audio Undertaker" - matchmaker and equipment liquidation

First time's for love, 2nd time for money. Smart audiophile widows only date MBL and Wilson owners.

Bigfish8

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 05:14:03 PM »
Smart audiophile widows only date MBL and Wilson owners.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I will pass this one along to Vera!

Ken

Offline tmazz

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2010, 06:18:51 AM »
"The Audio Undertaker" - matchmaker and equipment liquidation

First time's for love, 2nd time for money. Smart audiophile widows only date MBL and Wilson owners.

No, most audiophile widows would run for the hills if they met another audiophile.   :rofl:

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.   :duh

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9