Author Topic: SVS Subwoofers  (Read 12188 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: SVS Subwoofers
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 09:47:28 AM »
The servo must have been broken on those. They sounded like the .7Q Dipole12s I had a couple years later, LF but poorly damped, no detail. The GR 16Rs are actually .7Q without the servo.

DaveC

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 10:34:50 AM »
I'd stay FAR away from all the Hsu subs except for the sealed 15, which I think is their highest end model and not cheap. On my demo tracks, the sealed 15 was far faster and more accurate than the ported model they had playing when I walked in. The ported model is not a good choice for audio IMO.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 08:41:09 AM »
I got an email from hometheatershack newsletter today. It mentions a few other subwoofer options.

Powersound.com was founded by some SVS people, similar designs, better prices, all American made.      http://www.powersoundaudio.com/
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/sub-zone-subwoofer-testing/62088-power-sound-audio-xs15.html

factory blurb:
Powersound XS15
The XS15 is a powerful, sealed subwoofer able to deliver accurate levels of bass into the lowest audible octave. Priced at $699.

Features
• Proprietary, USA assembled, 15" high excursion driver
• Patented digital hybrid PS BASH® 500W amplifier with DSP control
• American made, highly durable, black textured finished cabinets
• 26Hz-200Hz +/-3dB (16Hz-20Hz typical in-room extension)

Some SVS SB13 measurements
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/sub-zone-subwoofer-testing/62090-svsound-sb13-ultra.html
Impressive extension.

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 09:49:37 AM »

factory blurb:
Powersound XS15
The XS15 is a powerful, sealed subwoofer able to deliver accurate levels of bass into the lowest audible octave. Priced at $699.

Seems that the price has gone up to 749 or they are running a special for HTS.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 06:25:55 PM »

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: Subwoofers
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 07:51:54 PM »
I have a Velo HGS 12. At first I didn't like it. One I understood how to adjust it and added room treatments it sounds really good. I spoke to an engineer at Velo and he said that the older HGS is basically the same as the DD without the eq and remote. You can get them for cheep used. Personally I would not buy a sub without servo.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 07:28:04 AM »
Sorry to bump and older thread but this may help others. I was on the SVS site yesterday and found they have this new tool called Merlin that will help select the appropriate sub for your speakers. Seems like a nice place to start.

http://www.svsound.com/merlin

Offline gander

• Seeking Help
  • Insanity is doing the same Audio thing over & over
Owls love SVS Subwoofers
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2017, 07:46:22 PM »
 I lived on Bainbridge Island, Washington in a home on 2.3 acres surrounded by woods. I loved that place. My system included a pair of SVS subwoofers the size of hot water heaters. When I cranked them up the owls would come and roost outside, every time. It was great because I got my bones rattled and I got to see my owls.

Gary
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 08:06:12 PM by gander »
Oppo 103, SSD drive
DIY ultra low capacitance power cords, ICs and speaker cables
Audio Note 2.1B DAC
Tortuga LDR passive pre
Primaluna Dialogue4 tube, Hegel H90 int amp
DIY speakers w/8” Rullit field coil FR drivers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 10:29:16 AM »
Wonderful product. However I would build OB subs from GR Research. IMHO the best subs I have heard. If you a saw and are handy the price is right and the result magnificent.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2017, 07:20:35 PM »
The GR/Rythmic subs have been the darlings of critics, and myself, at multiple RMAF's.  They were clearly at or near the best bass in the show for more than one year.  Dont have a clue why it underwhelmed when you heard it.  I heard an identical pair in Danny Richie's living room... the bass was stunningly fast, accurate, and visceral. 
Oh well, different strokes etc. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub