Author Topic: Wood hardness chart  (Read 4295 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Wood hardness chart
« on: May 18, 2015, 02:44:50 PM »
Thought this might be interesting for those that are into searching for the right wood in DIY. The hardness tends to effect the sound IMO.
Softer wood seems to have less bad effect on resolution and prat.  

Looks like Pine, Cedar, and Redwoods are the soft and Oak, Teak and Birch are hardest  

https://sizes.com/units/janka.htm
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline allenzachary

Re: Wood hardness chart
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 03:26:23 PM »
Sorry...

I thought this was a chart tracking responses to various combinations of high-end audio components.

:lol:

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 06:20:46 PM »
tracking responses

Very classy Allen!   :thumb:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 07:35:53 AM »
  Spruce is a VG choice. Indonesian hardwood/ply another. Both different however affective. Some designers like a resonance free cabinet others like the cabinet to sing along. IMO a tough and critical choice.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 09:53:07 AM »
The harmonic character of the resonance is what matters. The stiffness and hardness are same as THD, meaningless. Some soft woods sound great (spruce) some sound bad (pressure treated fir.) Some hardwoods sound great (maple) most sound bad.

I built my first DIY speaker with "Finnish White Pine" (spruce) boards from Home Depot, against the DIY know it alls' advice. It was well behaved and intoxicating on all kinds of music. No bracing, no stuffing, no wood finish. Of course it resonated, but the box resonance sounded like music. Even room treatments diminished the goodness from these speakers. They wanted to ring and fill the whole room with love. The president of Feastrex heard them and said they sounded really good. That was a high praise because he was notoriously negative and closed minded about his drivers playing in any box other than the ones he sold. In the 8 years since then I have never seen any speaker made from spruce, except Robert Altmann's.

Then, heeding the know it alls' advice I built another set of similar design speakers from baltic birch with bracing. Same driver, same amp, same room. It had a much stronger personality that worked very well on some kinds of music, but very bad on others. The best it ever sounded was playing jazz drum solos, because drums shells are made from birch plywood. Absolutely real, Tony Williams in my house! Paper drivers and drum heads, in birch cabinets and drum shells. Dual horns per speaker made the real dynamics.  Too bad it couldn't do much else that good!

If you want to play many different kinds of acoustic instruments, especially classical music where oboes and violins and bells and tubas all play together on the same song, then the material of choice is totally non-resonant, so as not to enhance the flavor of one at the expense of the others. You want tonal accuracy above all else. Wilson uses non resonant phenolic, Magico uses thick metal braced with internal metal frame, Vandersteen uses MDF with internal damping layers of stone and rubber. Many use bent thick laminated wood or MDF with dense bracing.

Interesting and entertaining articles about why wood and other carbon based materials sound good:
http://www.mother-of-tone.com/vibration.htm
http://www.mother-of-tone.com/mother.htm

Mechanical resonance and musical materials is a dominant distortion type that we use to color the music we play to suit our personal taste. When given the choice, carbon based materials tend to sound better than metal and plastic, but certain woods are best of all, like spruce and maple. Carbon fiber is being used to make musical instruments now too, and speaker cones and boxes.

Offline Werd

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 10:18:10 AM »
If I was going to build speakers I would look for the acoustic instrument that appeals to me the most. I would search the wood used to build those instruments and then make the speaker cabinet with that type of wood.  I love upright bass and notice spruce is a common material in many quality upright basses. I might even go one further and look for a favorite Bass player, see what he plays and what the wood construction was on his bass and mimick the bass with the same wood construction for speakers.

That would get one closer to the live intent of the performer wouldn't it?
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
That article is basically how I feel about it. Introduced to me by Michael Green from MGA.

What the article misses about mechanical resonance is the resonant properties of electricity itself. Electricity resonates you can actually feel it resonate when zapped by the outlet. The hertz vibrates you can feel it. Un like a DC zap that feels like a fire cracker.  

Mechanical vibration is the electrical effect on devices. This is why I have everything loosened and screws released. The most obtrusive component is the chassis. Get rid of the chassis and let every device vibrate freely. Instead of tying it down to a chassis and storing all the electrical vibration. Every system I hear sounds different than mine and it's because of this. They all sound so bottled up with tension applied on the chassis.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:20:56 AM by Werd »
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 05:33:38 AM »
If I was going to build speakers I would look for the instrument that appeals to me the most.

Ahhh . . . the MiniMoog synthesizer used pressed cardboard as a housing I believe. Soooo ...  :du :drool:

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 07:34:04 AM »
That article is basically how I feel about it. Introduced to me by Michael Green from MGA.

What the article misses about mechanical resonance is the resonant properties of electricity itself. Electricity resonates you can actually feel it resonate when zapped by the outlet. The hertz vibrates you can feel it. Un like a DC zap that feels like a fire cracker.  

A big fan of Mother of Tone philosophy.

charles

Mechanical vibration is the electrical effect on devices. This is why I have everything loosened and screws released. The most obtrusive component is the chassis. Get rid of the chassis and let every device vibrate freely. Instead of tying it down to a chassis and storing all the electrical vibration. Every system I hear sounds different than mine and it's because of this. They all sound so bottled up with tension applied on the chassis.
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.