Author Topic: oh my  (Read 11926 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
oh my
« on: October 16, 2011, 06:35:24 PM »
he he he :rofl:
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: oh my
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 06:00:38 AM »
Nice Victrola. 

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 07:46:55 AM »
  You never cease to amaze us. You need a larger room.  :rofl:
What are they ???

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 02:03:33 PM »
It is Karls speaker system
15 inch Field coil woofers
Edgarhorn with JBL 375's with original rolled aluminum diaph's

Going to play with them for a while with his amps and preamp that he built as well as the crossover. He also built the bass cabinets

Pretty handy guy, and he actually has an ear!
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

eleazar

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 02:11:27 PM »
WOW !!!! he is handy

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 07:19:36 PM »
getting closer......

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 07:35:34 AM »
getting closer......

Your wife must be a saint... :clap:
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 09:38:07 AM »
  Karl is an amazing designer and builder. Period. I have personally heard his efforts at Toprounds.
  A real good friend to have around when you have the Nervosa of all times. He he he.
  I guess field coils will be on the short list soon.  you still ned a bigger room. That family room truley would elevate your wife to Sainthood.  :rofl:
  Have fun

charles
SMA
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 03:37:28 PM »
getting closer

burning everything in, hasn't been played in years
100 pound each  300B mono's driving the bass
45's driving the mids

even with a shitty TT it sounds great, oh...the potential
forget the shouty horns you might think of, this ain't that, delicious mids
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 03:40:34 PM by topround »

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 04:26:59 PM »
A lot of misconceptions about horns... they were the "cat's meow" when voiced & when mated with great tube equipment in the 30's, 40's, 50's & 60's... then came solid state sand which made the horns sound shouty & crappy...aka the Phase Linear Days (pretty simple - Garbage In = Garbage Out!). Horns are so revealing & transparent that they must be fed good sources or your "weak link" is quickly revealed (take this from my experiences)... Also, being so efficient has some drawbacks as well... your sources need to be damn quiet at idle & between notes! Took me over 10 years to find the right combo's... & of course the Nervosa really never ends...

When done right, WOW is the word!, especially with dynamics, both micro & macro...

Enjoy them buddy! I want to hear them soon!

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 04:34:48 PM »
That's right Pete, SS amps are much more of a voltage source than tubes which have some current drive in them. Voltage drive can make a driver sound shouty, especially if it was designed to use tubes with higher output impedance.

Mike those look great!! I want to hear them too!

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 04:54:57 PM »
pix of the amps

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 07:03:30 PM »
OK,
This is very different than what we are used to.
Very fast and detailed, yet wonderful tone, tremendous focus.
speed an dynamics of course, but such refinement, ordinary dynamic drivers just cant do this, they are just too slow.
The amps Karl has built are HUGE, all DHT.

I plan to have people over but I have to do it  in shifts, a large rave just can't happen at my place anymore, my wife hates them and I don't enjoy hosting large raves either.
Besides I have a small room and a small sweet spot.

One bad thing about this system is it is rather complex, wires and power cords all over the place :duh, but I guess that is what is required in this case.
When things burn in I will set some dates if people want to come over, next week the Micro Seiki will be up and running again and that will be a major improvement just in itself, and major is an understatement.

Let it all burn in and settle and we will tweak the setup and cabling

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 06:53:18 AM »
  Looking good Mike. Have fun as you always do.

charles
SMA

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 07:27:31 AM »
I used to not like horn speakers unti I was able to hear Triode Pete's system which I truly like. All the timeing, planning, changing, setup, etc. have payed off and his SETs make music through his speakers.

Are the horn speakers from back in the day capapable of making music when paired with SET amps?

A lot of misconceptions about horns... they were the "cat's meow" when voiced & when mated with great tube equipment in the 30's, 40's, 50's & 60's... then came solid state sand which made the horns sound shouty & crappy...aka the Phase Linear Days (pretty simple - Garbage In = Garbage Out!). Horns are so revealing & transparent that they must be fed good sources or your "weak link" is quickly revealed (take this from my experiences)... Also, being so efficient has some drawbacks as well... your sources need to be damn quiet at idle & between notes! Took me over 10 years to find the right combo's... & of course the Nervosa really never ends...

When done right, WOW is the word!, especially with dynamics, both micro & macro...

Enjoy them buddy! I want to hear them soon!

Pete